Great Baseball Sayings and Curious Facts Topic

Both are Billy Williams contrarian23 -

Williams scored 137 runs in 1970, the most of any player in a season in any of those three decades.

And Williams played in 1,117 consecutive games, setting an NL record until Garvey broke it.
4/25/2016 8:40 AM
Hmm... someone had posted before saying 1. was BW and he would have to look up 2. I was trying to be cute in how I phrased my post, but given that the first post has been deleted, it now has lost the effect.
4/25/2016 9:24 AM
Too bad. I missed that.

I just read "Fools Rush In" by Bill James where he goes through his usual highly rigorous analysis comparing Yastrzemski and Billy Williams -

Three takeaways from his analysis:

1) it is incredible how closely these two players' performances were - almost identical in many respects.

2) as James puts it: "their best seasons were what Hank Aaron did every year" - and he likes them both and wants to demonstrate how good they were, and they were both great players. Shows the difference between great Hall of Famers and all-time greats. Still a big difference.

3) Yaz was just a bit better once you factor everything in, though Yaz' left field defense is not that big a difference (not as big as some of us - me especially) would think - mainly because the very best left-fielders still contribute less than CFs, who contribute less than anyone on the infield to the left of 1B. But though Williams was better earlier on in their parallel careers, Yaz was just slightly better overall. But it is close.
4/25/2016 12:50 PM
I was looking at the list of players who have hit 2 HR in the same inning today, for a post in another thread, and found some Curious Facts related to that.

The feat has been accomplished 59 times in history.

Brothers Aaron and Bret Boone did it about three months apart in 2002.

In the game where Bret Boone accomplished the feat, teammate Mike Cameron did, too...in the same inning.

It looks like three players have done it twice: Willie McCovey, Andre Dawson, and...Jeff King

When Fernando Tatis did it, the home runs were both Grand Slams; the only time in history that has happened.
4/25/2016 5:44 PM
That is wild skunk206, I never would have imagined it happened that many times, and that there have been any - let alone all - of the particular episodes you cite - is just amazing. Thanks !

I have to look up the Fernando Tatis game, unbelievable.
4/26/2016 4:01 PM
Apparently 13 players have hit two grand slams in the same game - there is something else I would never have guessed had happened that often. But only Tatis did it in the same inning. crazy.
4/26/2016 4:09 PM
...and off the same pitcher - Chan Ho Park. You would think that after a grand slam - and eight more batters (most of which had to have reached base), they would have brought in someone else. But no...

4/26/2016 4:42 PM (edited)
I would have let the popcorn guy pitch at that point.
4/26/2016 8:14 PM
What inning was it?
4/26/2016 8:25 PM
I believe it was the second.
4/27/2016 12:52 AM
Posted by skunk206 on 4/25/2016 5:44:00 PM (view original):
I was looking at the list of players who have hit 2 HR in the same inning today, for a post in another thread, and found some Curious Facts related to that.

The feat has been accomplished 59 times in history.

Brothers Aaron and Bret Boone did it about three months apart in 2002.

In the game where Bret Boone accomplished the feat, teammate Mike Cameron did, too...in the same inning.

It looks like three players have done it twice: Willie McCovey, Andre Dawson, and...Jeff King

When Fernando Tatis did it, the home runs were both Grand Slams; the only time in history that has happened.
Interesting addendum to this post:

Bret Boone and Mike Cameron accomplished the 2 HR in the same inning feat on 5/2/2002. Only been done 59 times in history. They did it in the same inning of the same game; however, Cameron also hit 4 HR in that game. Only 16 times in history has a player hit 4 HR in one game. So 3 very rare feats were accomplished in that same game, and two by the same player (Cameron).
4/27/2016 5:37 PM
Who was the only Major League player to hit 30 plus home runs in his final season?
4/28/2016 1:57 AM
Easy! Dave Kingman!
4/28/2016 2:01 AM
oh man, we didn't even get to dawn on the East Coast before someone got this one.
4/28/2016 2:03 AM
Okay, here's one in a similar vein:

Many of us remember Mike Mussina winning 20 games in his final season (2008). And if asked who was the last pitcher before Mussina to win 20 in his final season, many of us would know the answer is Sandy Koufax (1966).

The question here is, who was the last pitcher before Koufax to win 20 in his final MLB season?
4/28/2016 4:04 AM
◂ Prev 1...38|39|40|41|42...57 Next ▸
Great Baseball Sayings and Curious Facts Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.