Recruiting - how does a near tie work? Topic

I guess either 1) as the end of the signing period approaches, the $ margin required to win a recruit narrows from a lot to near zero or 2) the effectiveness of the money spent by a less prestigious  school diminishes in comparison to money that has been spent by a more prestigious school (i.e. if a WAC team and a BCS or elite team spend near-equal sums, the money already spent by the more elite team 'catches up' to and can pass the money already spent by the lesser team).   It's something I've puzzled over for awhile at D1. Thoughts appreciated. 
1/7/2016 9:51 AM
I don't have an answer for ties, but I don't think the system looks at money spent as much as effort expended. More prestigious schools may have effort 'bonuses' like their campus visit is worth 110% of a less prestigious schools visit; money is just the tool to attain more effort.
1/7/2016 10:24 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
The only real tie breaker would be your reputation but even that is negligible to a certain extent. It is all about the amount of effort you put in and sometimes what you are willing to promise.
You have to understand, there are certain coaches that run algorithms on recruiting scenarios and know almost down to the penny what they will have to spend to get a recruit.

You biggest weapon in recruiting is knowing your area, knowing the needs of the surrounding schools and having success each season so that the cost of getting those top players is lessened(in regards to knocking off sims and smaller schools at least)
1/8/2016 4:30 PM
Algorithms for recruiting scenarios? I was a film major. Gotta find a new hobby.
4/6/2016 3:30 PM
One thing that seems to be a constant is that without new input, the recruiting balance doesn't change. A more prestigious team can't "come from behind" to take the lead in recruiting unless he expends more recruiting effort.
4/6/2016 4:28 PM
Thanks scrodz. That's what I was getting at. That said, I've had enough and will just play out the string. Eventually the only ones keeping the lights on in D1 will be the elite school coaches. That'll be fun.
5/12/2017 8:22 AM
Yeah, I think the Elite system (and the lack of a playoff) is what keeps a lot of coaches out of D1A. I only play in one world, but a lot of the coaches who have been at the Elite schools have been there for a long time and a lot of them are doing a really poor job.

Oklahoma has 0 top 10 finishes during their current coach's 15 season tenure.
Miami has had the same coach for close to 40 seasons and has only one top 10 in the last 15 seasons.
The ND coach has been there close to 60 seasons and has 2 Conference Championships. The last 4 seasons they finished 31,38,26,33.

5/12/2017 10:29 AM
"You have to understand, there are certain coaches that run algorithms on recruiting scenarios and know almost down to the penny what they will have to spend to get a recruit."

At least they would like you to believe that.
5/12/2017 10:55 AM
Recruiting - how does a near tie work? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.