Veteran Owners Who Co-Coach Other Teams... Topic

Posted by emy1013 on 1/18/2016 2:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by taniajane on 1/18/2016 12:54:00 AM (view original):
I dont think there are alot of co-coaches. Some new players have mentors and sometimes vacations or personal matters require a player to ask for a temporary stand in. Even if there were alot of co-coaches, I am not sure that would help you much. Recruiting still comes down to doing what you think is right, sometimes it doesnt work out in your favor.
This may be the first time I have actually agreed with a post by Taniajane. 
aww gee that's sweet miss emy...I will sleep so much better now.
1/18/2016 5:52 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 1/18/2016 10:04:00 AM (view original):
The Firm is in Wooden.
Can someone expain how The Firm works?
i had spent 5 years in Wooden D-1 in Connecticut, and 1 year in Wooden D-2 in California, but i've since moved to D-3 Naismith (as well as D-1 Crum).
1/18/2016 5:52 PM
Posted by npb7768 on 1/18/2016 5:54:00 PM (view original):
As a side issue to co-coaching, and i guess this is another concern:
(and this fine in HD, but i'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe)...

The mentoring program...
Really several questions:
1. Can a veteran mentor a new coach who plays in the same world?
2. Whether or not they're in the same world, at what point is the mentoring supposed to stop, if ever?
3. Should an owner that is getting mentored have to share that information with his opponents in a division?

This gets back to needing to understand your competitors' capabilities, and knowing which recruiting battles to maybe avoid. For example, if 4 new owners join D3 Naismith and asked to be mentored, and they all chose teams in New England near my Albertus team, it would be unfair to me if i didnt know that 1000-win veterans were on speed dial to each of these new owners.

This also applies to my low-level D1 Holy Cross team.

Thanks guys, I'll hang up and listen to your answers on the radio.
I think mentoring in the same world is fine, as long as in depth recruiting isn't shared(however I think at the beginning it can kind of be needed, however not really ideal)

Mentoring should never stop, it should develop into more of equal discussions, etc.

An owner should share what he wants they aren't required to give up any information(unless it's against the unfair guidelines)

Coaches shouldn't have to say they are being mentored by anyone, that's you being paranoid about people cheating.  If they are new and are being mentored it is pretty easy to tell since they will be doing better than the usual crap coach.
1/18/2016 5:55 PM
Posted by the0nlyis on 1/18/2016 5:55:00 PM (view original):
(and this fine in HD, but i'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe)...

The mentoring program...
2. Whether or not they're in the same world, at what point is the mentoring supposed to stop, if ever?
3. Should an owner that is getting mentored have to share that information with his opponents in a division?

This gets back to needing to understand your competitors' capabilities, and knowing which recruiting battles to maybe avoid. For example, if 4 new owners join D3 Naismith and asked to be mentored, and they all chose teams in New England near my Albertus team, it would be unfair to me if i didnt know that 1000-win veterans were on speed dial to each of these new owners.

I think mentoring in the same world is fine, as long as in depth recruiting isn't shared(however I think at the beginning it can kind of be needed, however not really ideal)

Mentoring should never stop, it should develop into more of equal discussions, etc.

An owner should share what he wants they aren't required to give up any information(unless it's against the unfair guidelines)

Coaches shouldn't have to say they are being mentored by anyone, that's you being paranoid about people cheating.  If they are new and are being mentored it is pretty easy to tell since they will be doing better than the usual crap coach.
Couple of things:
- Owners should not give up information they learned from their mentor. i'm suggesting they share with the World that "Player X is mentoring me".
- I'm not "paranoid about people cheating". I'm trying to understand my rivals' capabilities regarding recruiting, etc. All things being equal, i would feel reluctant to challenge a mentored rival. i have to know this or else i won't budget my money properly.

Also, why are you resisting me here? I'm requesting that i be provided with basic, fair information.
1/18/2016 6:05 PM (edited)
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by the0nlyis on 1/18/2016 6:03:00 PM (view original):
They shouldn't have to explain that fact.  Do I have to put a list on the forums of every single coach I sitemail, because you could consider that mentoring?
Yes, they should let others know that they are being mentored by "Veteran Owner X", absolutely. What is the harm or secret in them letting their rivals know this? I'd be at a disadvantage to not know this, and i might spend my money incorrectly by going against a 1000-win veteran as opposed to a new owner.
1/18/2016 6:14 PM

The mentoring program...

1. Sure, because what's the danger? That the mentoring coach will take advantage of his mentee to game the system and get an unfair advantage? **** it, if someone so desperately needs to win this ridiculous semi-functional simulation, let them have it. 

2. Never. Jeff calls MSU a co-coaching situation, but I had to almost laugh at the allegation that my "eliteness" is adding to his to make the team better. When I saw Jeff ask for co-coaches I jumped, because I've been following him around from conference to conference for 5 years hoping he'd remain interested in the game long enough that I could learn something. Is that the only way to learn, and/or does that make me some kind of fanboy? I dunno, IDGAF  really. I also tried to get close to girt/daalter coz he was a great winner too. 

I did it to get better, and it worked. Now, I had already made it TO Michigan State on my own - sort of - I rode the Rupp CUSA success (and a decent run at UCF) to snag MSU when they were down. On my own I brought them into respectability-ish, but I would have been another couple years at least trying to get to and maintain an A+, even with the baseline. SO I convinced Jeff to take another 1 a day team (less than ideal for either of us) and we've rather slowly built it up to winning 3 of the last 4 titles. But even with Jeff guiding me I still managed to fubar things more than once because I still control the team. 

So I call it a mentorship. I've learned tons, and I still do all the time. He's patient enough not to just slap me when I forget the same thing over and over, and eventually it worked. Is this somehow unfair for someone or bad for the game? Cause if someone can convince it is, I'll just retire and the game can **** itself I suppose. Not a threat, just the way of it. 

3. NEVER. If the mentor wanted everyone to have the advantage of his years of experience and/or collective knowledge he'd publish it here, and many do. CS can ask whatever they want and I'd have no problem giving detailed testimony, TO THEM, with the caveat about my memory as noted above :)

The best way to see what sorts of things your opponents do is to observe them. If it helps, before you know anything assume they are all much better than you and adjust down as you uncover their secrets. 
1/18/2016 6:50 PM (edited)
Ok, I'm not saying the young owner should share strategies that the mentor has taught him.
I'm only recommending that the young owner let it be known that he's being mentored, and by whom.
That's all.

Also, i have no problem with someone getting mentored. It's fine. They can be mentored for 150 seasons, it's fine. But in the interest of fair play, we should know who is mentoring whom.

But as i strategize and especially when i recruit, i need to know all the hurdles and disadvantages that i need to overcome and guard against. For both my teams, i am pretty familiar with all my local rivals, how many openings they have, how much money their conference made, how new to the game the owners are... ok, i can deal with disadvantages, but it's a real difficulty when on top of everything else i am not given the information that 1, 2, 3, who knows how many owners, are being guided by 1000-win veterans.
1/18/2016 6:44 PM (edited)
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
ah. I may have misunderstood point 3. IDK if it should be some requirement or whatever, I mean Jeff and I did of course because it made sense to let everyone know - it wasn't a secret by any means anyway, and like he said, he does sometimes post on the CC, and he uses (CBG) to indicate its him speaking and not me...so I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other I suppose... 
1/18/2016 6:46 PM
Posted by the0nlyis on 1/18/2016 6:44:00 PM (view original):
your on a wild goose chase if you think I should have to post the people I sitemail talking about HD or specific help.

It's super easy to tell if new users are good just look at the recruits they are going after, the good new coaches will have good recruits.  Therefore assume they have an idea they are doing.
Thank you for your answers.
I now know that i have to guard against yet another hidden layer of difficulty in HD.
As long as i know the disadvantages and hurdles i think i have a chance to maybe overcome them.
1/18/2016 6:50 PM (edited)
Posted by npb7768 on 1/18/2016 6:50:00 PM (view original):
your on a wild goose chase if you think I should have to post the people I sitemail talking about HD or specific help.

It's super easy to tell if new users are good just look at the recruits they are going after, the good new coaches will have good recruits.  Therefore assume they have an idea they are doing.
I now know that i have to guard against yet another hidden layer of difficulty in HD.
As long as i know the disadvantages and hurdles i think i have a chance to maybe overcome them.
who is mentoring you shouldn't be a big deal, everyone should have a mentor or people they talk to HD about.  if not you won't get better.

Thinking it's some secret thing is ridiculous.  there's no some secret sitemail gang that passes along "insider" information you seem to think that is going on.

There is nothing stopping you from asking people in sitemail's for help, it's not a disadvantage you can easily ask for help.
1/18/2016 6:51 PM
Posted by npb7768 on 1/18/2016 6:50:00 PM (view original):

Look, I said it snarkily, but in seriousness, it will not hurt you if you approach every battle assuming you are not as "good" as the other coach - it means you will overcompensate and lose less battles. Eventually when you win more than you lose you can start fine tuning it so you dont have to over-win and you can use it to do other things...
1/18/2016 6:52 PM
Yeah, no.

This is getting silly.  Not commenting n the ;co-coach' thing, but saying you need to be informed of every instance of Mentoring?  Yeah, no.  And ... no.  But ... no.  What if ... no.  Just ... no.

No.

1/18/2016 6:53 PM
Hi All

I'm currently being mentored by the most elite, most successful, most fearsome coaches in HD. 

Please do not battle me for recruits.
1/18/2016 6:54 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Veteran Owners Who Co-Coach Other Teams... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.