Veteran Owners Who Co-Coach Other Teams... Topic

You guys are awesome. I ask several simple questions, you blow them out of proportion and act like a bunch of d-bags. And nobody has explained what "The Firm" is.
1/18/2016 10:13 PM
"Can someone expain how The Firm works?"

npb7768, I do not think you will be told things like this. Even as a newbie I am aware that (as you can readily tell from this and other threads), HD seems to have a murky layer of multiple identities, multiple teams, convoluted relationships, sharing of information and teams and a long history of other sub rosa interactions between and among veteran coaches.  For example, there are conferences in which the coaches agree, overtly or not, not to compete with one another for recruits.  FSS information may be shared by some.  If  you push for information you will be ridiculed and mocked (this thread is an example) and not enjoy the game, so it is best to leave it.  Better to enjoy the game as it was intended and just ignore the underworld in it.  In this regard it is no different from most online games.
1/18/2016 10:13 PM
Posted by CoachSpud on 1/18/2016 10:13:00 PM (view original):

npb7768, I do not think you will be told things like this. Even as a newbie I am aware that (as you can readily tell from this and other threads), HD seems to have a murky layer of multiple identities, multiple teams, convoluted relationships, sharing of information and teams and a long history of other sub rosa interactions between and among veteran coaches.  For example, there are conferences in which the coaches agree, overtly or not, not to compete with one another for recruits.  FSS information may be shared by some.  If  you push for information you will be ridiculed and mocked (this thread is an example) and not enjoy the game, so it is best to leave it.  Better to enjoy the game as it was intended and just ignore the underworld in it.  In this regard it is no different from most online games.
Hey CoachSpud, very well said. I'm going to take your advice and step away. I appreciate your post.
1/18/2016 10:23 PM
I don't know how thefirm works I assume no one who has posted so far knows or didn't see that question in the ensuing mess that occured, I assume it's just an account with a few coaches on working together.

There is a slight layer of multiple, identities, and teams, but all the known ones check out, if there's a few our there that aren't known, it's like any other game they're going to be cheaters. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if 2p percent of accounts were created by wis to keep coach numbers up.

What conferences do rhat? I think generally people try to avoid going after conference mates on purpose, I believe the only conference that really has faced scrutiny was the ACC crum formation, but that was before my time so I can only read the thread about it.

The only threads that are ridiculed and mocked are the ones that deserve it, both of the 2 threads have op's that have some sort of paranoia or whine about sucking. Check my post history, I'm not an *** hole all the time I help out a lot. Billy probably the greatest coach is pretty active in shelving on the fkrums, and everyone I sitemail for help has been really helpful in getting back to me. People will respond of you don't whine and scream wolf.

I mean seriously you think you can say that you expect us to post every single user "mentor" we sitemail for help and expect not to get ridiculed.
1/18/2016 10:28 PM
The firm was a group of guys who all had roles in the game....one guy was the recruiter, another ran game plan, someone did scheduling, and so on....originally there was five of us but I dropped out RIGHT BEFORE they won a title....bunch of decent guys, I left when I realized i had a different strategy than the others and couldn't find a way to make it fit
1/18/2016 10:37 PM
Posted by the0nlyis on 1/18/2016 10:29:00 PM (view original):
I don't know how thefirm works I assume no one who has posted so far knows or didn't see that question in the ensuing mess that occured, I assume it's just an account with a few coaches on working together.

There is a slight layer of multiple, identities, and teams, but all the known ones check out, if there's a few our there that aren't known, it's like any other game they're going to be cheaters. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if 2p percent of accounts were created by wis to keep coach numbers up.

What conferences do rhat? I think generally people try to avoid going after conference mates on purpose, I believe the only conference that really has faced scrutiny was the ACC crum formation, but that was before my time so I can only read the thread about it.

The only threads that are ridiculed and mocked are the ones that deserve it, both of the 2 threads have op's that have some sort of paranoia or whine about sucking. Check my post history, I'm not an *** hole all the time I help out a lot. Billy probably the greatest coach is pretty active in shelving on the fkrums, and everyone I sitemail for help has been really helpful in getting back to me. People will respond of you don't whine and scream wolf.

I mean seriously you think you can say that you expect us to post every single user "mentor" we sitemail for help and expect not to get ridiculed.
I tend more often than not to not go up against conference mates in the USA south preferentially because I know just how much of a monetary reserve they have in postseason cash!

1/18/2016 10:41 PM
Posted by npb7768 on 1/18/2016 10:13:00 PM (view original):
You guys are awesome. I ask several simple questions, you blow them out of proportion and act like a bunch of d-bags. And nobody has explained what "The Firm" is.
The Firm was five(?) coaches who decided to co-coach a team, each one rotating through a different phase of the game each season.  There was a thread on the forums about it some time ago.

For what it's worth, I think asking someone to announce if they have a mentor so you can adjust your recruiting tactics accordingly is pretty lame in it's own right and sounds like an excuse for you to go pick on the more inexperienced coaches during recruiting.  "1000 win coach" or not (which isn't all that impressive anyway, lots of coaches reach that simply through longevity as much as skill), the costs are the same for home visits for them as they are for a coach in his first season.   Veteran coaches don't get cost discounts during recruiting and in reading your posts, they really come off as you being scared of challenging anyone with any kind of experience and strictly head hunting the new coaches to take advantage of their weaknesses, all while not having someone take advantage of yours. 

I never had a mentor and I've only rarely offered anyone any advice, but if I was on either side of being the mentor or the mentored, I wouldn't publicize it because I don't think that's anyone else's business.  Asking someone to declare every sitemail interaction they've had with another coach regarding the game is no different and I believe anyone should be able to see how ludicrous of an idea that is.

Hope that wasn't too douche-y of me.

1/18/2016 10:47 PM
Looks like four of us hit on the same basic ideals all at once.
1/18/2016 10:47 PM
Posted by taniajane on 1/18/2016 5:52:00 PM (view original):
Posted by emy1013 on 1/18/2016 2:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by taniajane on 1/18/2016 12:54:00 AM (view original):
I dont think there are alot of co-coaches. Some new players have mentors and sometimes vacations or personal matters require a player to ask for a temporary stand in. Even if there were alot of co-coaches, I am not sure that would help you much. Recruiting still comes down to doing what you think is right, sometimes it doesnt work out in your favor.
This may be the first time I have actually agreed with a post by Taniajane. 
aww gee that's sweet miss emy...I will sleep so much better now.
Glad I could help sweetheart.  Keep dreaming about me you stud muffin you.  Kisses.
1/18/2016 11:00 PM
um, right
1/19/2016 12:52 AM

you know, we've had a bit of fun in this thread and tried to be light-hearted about most of it, but I thought folks were still answering his questions honestly as much as possible. 

I've never been in a conference or situation where FSS was shared. I have no idea if its happened (I'm sure it has, just have no proof). 

I answer tons of questions here on the forum and in sitemails and stuff all the time trying to help coaches learn. 

What I hate, are coaches who post **** like this. You are correct, in your case, feel free to **** off and not play the game. There are enough whine-*** ******* here already. 

1/19/2016 5:58 AM

Do people really share FSS information? I agree, that shouldn't be done at all and is a much bigger issue than mentoring/coaching.

Why do you believe that it "may be shared"? 
1/19/2016 7:12 AM
Posted by nachopuzzle on 1/18/2016 12:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by therewas47 on 1/18/2016 11:02:00 AM (view original):
Is it considered co-coaching if you have two people who share 1 account and don't have any other accounts? My best friend and I have been doing this for years. It's a great way to get everything done even if one of us is gone for a weekend or something.
the only thing worse than a tattle tell is someone preemptively and needlessly outing themselves in order to unjustly gain some form of undue moral superiority....as far as i see it, two people working together with one account in real life is way worse than six people working together with nine accounts through the site...in my humble opinion.
I just wanted to state that this previous post by me was made with the attempt of mild humor and mild trolling at the expensive of therewas. And understood in this context it might shed some light on the reply to billyg directly after it.
1/19/2016 12:40 PM

I'm not sure I understand the problem with "mentors"... As long as you're not giving someone your login for them to "do it for you", what's the problem??? Every single thread, post from WiS or anything else pertaining to HD is essentially the same as a mentor if you're learning the game and gaining advantage over other people in your shoes.

I've asked probably 10 people on here for help, and few respond. Am I a bad person for wanting to understand the sim properly? I've never asked or seen people ask for specific directions. I've only ever asked or seen people ask how to properly understand how things work, and make a decision for themselves. I don't understand how recruiting works, so I ask. I don't understand how gameplanning works, so I asked... I got numerous answers of how to decipher this sim, and then I was left to make the choices based on the knowledge I was given. 

Who cares if people share recruits they are going after? I can assure you it happens in real life. It's not as if it's any secret when you start seeing the "considering" show up, or if you're a good coach looking at other teams' needs. Now, if you're sitting down before it starts and saying "ok, here's who I want, and here's who you should avoid, and here's who we can go after to make them waste money", then that is an entirely different problem. 

1/19/2016 12:58 PM (edited)
Just in the spirit of full disclosure. I am currently mentoring myself on another ID as well as a coach named sim in one of my conferences. I do not however under any circumstances share FSS information with myself or him / her... not sure of the sex, he/she doesn't reply to my site-mail much
1/19/2016 1:05 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Veteran Owners Who Co-Coach Other Teams... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.