D.E.A.L. commentary thread Topic

Was confused about that pick, but your strategies are different than mine, can't complain
1/31/2016 8:55 PM
What I noticed is that WIS has said that hitters in pitcher dominated times like the 1960s get a little more credit. And it works vice versa but my question is, where can I look to see if the year was more pitcher dominated or hitter dominated? Like 2015 had Arrieta and Greinke put up historic numbers and Kershaw was himself again, but then there was Bryce Harper who put up that monster OPS+ number. So yeah, where can I find it the year was more pitcher friendly or hitter friendly and where does 2015 fall into that?

Did autocorrect seriously change freindly into fiend dog instead of friendly lol
1/31/2016 10:20 PM
I just selected Mort Cooper in the 9th round.  What a steal!!!
2/1/2016 1:16 PM
Posted by Got_Worms on 2/1/2016 1:17:00 PM (view original):
Who?
2/1/2016 1:49 PM
Posted by d_rock97 on 2/1/2016 1:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Got_Worms on 2/1/2016 1:17:00 PM (view original):
Who?
That's what I like to hear!!!  
2/1/2016 3:58 PM
I can't believe that Ken Griffey Jr. lasted until the 11th round. I just assumed that he had been picked already and I was going to select another OF. But after double and triple checking the alpha lists and forum posts, I saw that no one else had taken him.

Is there something about him that I should know about? Lol.
2/2/2016 4:43 PM (edited)
i just think its his "lower" obp, and late 90's stats....but at this point, he's a great grab
2/2/2016 4:38 PM
Posted by roadhouse19 on 2/2/2016 4:43:00 PM (view original):
I can't believe that Ken Griffey Jr. lasted until the 11th round. I just assumed that he had been picked already and I was going to select another OF. But after double and triple checking the alpha lists and forum posts, I saw that no one else had taken him.

The sim just doesn't give him his due for how transcendent he was. The HRs get turned into outs by groundballers and it seems like his fielding is never as great as it was in real life.  

Best player I ever saw in person. Not so much in the sim, but agree it was the right time for him. If the sim did him justice he would have been gone in round 3...
2/2/2016 4:55 PM
Posted by kyleb63 on 2/1/2016 9:50:00 AM (view original):
Team Name: MisDEALings
Home Park: Bennett Park

My $55 million worth of top four pitchers should (based on sim history) give me a 3.19 ERA and 1.28 WHIP for up to 1633 innings. In a more realistic 1500 innings, they should allow 28 HR.

SP - 1917 Eddie Cicotte (2):
Going with a homerun park so keeping the ball down is a must; the last "elite" deadballer on my list at the time.
SP - 1904 Jack Chesbro (3): Tough to pass on the good hitting available at this point but his 488 innings of average or better pitching give me lots of options with the pitching staff.
SP - 1888 Charlie Buffinton (9): Going all in on what amounts to a four man staff. Now I need to find some hitting!
RP - 1906 Doc White (8): His best sim season is as a high frequency reliever. Maybe lighting strikes twice?

2B - 1922 Rogers Hornsby (1):
Thrilled he fell to #6 overall. Still flip flopping on '22 vs. '24 but the dingers in '22 likely win out over the .500 OBP in '24.
3B - 1981 Mike Schmidt (4): Tailor made 3B for my ballpark. The ideal cleanup batter to protect Rajah.
SS - 1996 Alex Rodriguez (5): Bat wins over glove, which I may regret. Right handed infield hitting for days...
OF - 1923 Ken Williams (7): Finally a lefty! Missed McCovey by two picks but Ken will slot into the #2 hole.
DH - 1887 Pete Browning (6): Maybe the best pure leadoff hitter in the sim. More righties.
That's a pretty sweet lineup you got going!
2/2/2016 5:18 PM
Posted by Got_Worms on 2/2/2016 5:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by kyleb63 on 2/1/2016 9:50:00 AM (view original):
Team Name: MisDEALings
Home Park: Bennett Park

My $55 million worth of top four pitchers should (based on sim history) give me a 3.19 ERA and 1.28 WHIP for up to 1633 innings. In a more realistic 1500 innings, they should allow 28 HR.

SP - 1917 Eddie Cicotte (2):
Going with a homerun park so keeping the ball down is a must; the last "elite" deadballer on my list at the time.
SP - 1904 Jack Chesbro (3): Tough to pass on the good hitting available at this point but his 488 innings of average or better pitching give me lots of options with the pitching staff.
SP - 1888 Charlie Buffinton (9): Going all in on what amounts to a four man staff. Now I need to find some hitting!
RP - 1906 Doc White (8): His best sim season is as a high frequency reliever. Maybe lighting strikes twice?

2B - 1922 Rogers Hornsby (1):
Thrilled he fell to #6 overall. Still flip flopping on '22 vs. '24 but the dingers in '22 likely win out over the .500 OBP in '24.
3B - 1981 Mike Schmidt (4): Tailor made 3B for my ballpark. The ideal cleanup batter to protect Rajah.
SS - 1996 Alex Rodriguez (5): Bat wins over glove, which I may regret. Right handed infield hitting for days...
OF - 1923 Ken Williams (7): Finally a lefty! Missed McCovey by two picks but Ken will slot into the #2 hole.
DH - 1887 Pete Browning (6): Maybe the best pure leadoff hitter in the sim. More righties.
That's a pretty sweet lineup you got going!
Thanks! Need to fill out 1B and OF with some southpaws before I'll feel great about it but so far so good!
2/2/2016 9:09 PM
Those are exactly the kinds of players I'm targeting with my next pick...

Was hoping Earl Averill would slide a little further!
2/2/2016 10:19 PM
Posted by Got_Worms on 2/2/2016 10:19:00 PM (view original):
Those are exactly the kinds of players I'm targeting with my next pick...

Was hoping Earl Averill would slide a little further!
Good thing I pick right before you 
2/2/2016 10:32 PM
Posted by bottomlee on 1/27/2016 2:31:00 PM (view original):
I would have guessed Silver King going 2nd or 3rd at the latest.......An SP that impacts the 81 games he pitches in, and the other games he helps by notusing the bullpen in his starts.  Seeing him 5th, and the 2nd SP picked just shocked me.   Just my opinion tho'
I played in one $255 mill cap season.  In that league, it really seemed that the deadball pitcers all got HAMMERED for the most part and most underperformed.  Pedro was by FAR the best SP in that league.  In fact, in that experience, it seemed the more recent studs with very low WHIPs and high K rates performed much better than the deadball guys with low K rates.

That's why I drafted four current guys in Greinke, King Felix, Verlander and Scherzer.  I'm hoping my league history repeats itself.  Still, I have to choose a poor HR park because of the HR rates of those four, compared to the deadball guys
2/2/2016 10:36 PM
Posted by roadhouse19 on 2/2/2016 4:43:00 PM (view original):

Damaged goods roadie....he has a broken shoulder and sprained knee 

LOL
2/2/2016 10:42 PM
Posted by amerk1180 on 2/2/2016 10:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bottomlee on 1/27/2016 2:31:00 PM (view original):
I would have guessed Silver King going 2nd or 3rd at the latest.......An SP that impacts the 81 games he pitches in, and the other games he helps by notusing the bullpen in his starts.  Seeing him 5th, and the 2nd SP picked just shocked me.   Just my opinion tho'
I played in one $255 mill cap season.  In that league, it really seemed that the deadball pitcers all got HAMMERED for the most part and most underperformed.  Pedro was by FAR the best SP in that league.  In fact, in that experience, it seemed the more recent studs with very low WHIPs and high K rates performed much better than the deadball guys with low K rates.

That's why I drafted four current guys in Greinke, King Felix, Verlander and Scherzer.  I'm hoping my league history repeats itself.  Still, I have to choose a poor HR park because of the HR rates of those four, compared to the deadball guys
So much for my turn of the century Cubs rotation!!
2/2/2016 11:53 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...9 Next ▸
D.E.A.L. commentary thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.