Prospect development in Developer Chat Topic

Can I play 9 shortstops?
2/6/2016 10:55 PM
Posted by bigham23 on 2/6/2016 5:57:00 PM (view original):
So... We should set 1B prospects as SS only, and run MikeT's idea of letting them come off the bench. And not only will they get max games, but they'll also get max games at the most challenging defensive position... That's how the DBacks developed Goldschmidt right?? :)
It doesn't matter how the D-backs developed Goldschmidt. What matters is how the programmers coded development of our binary pretend players. Mike T is correct that programming boosting defensive development for a 1B who plays SS in the minors makes no sense. But we don't know that the original programmer agreed or even thought that far. It's possible that it was set up to provide a range of growth following the defensive hierarchy, and if so whether that's logical is irrelevant.
2/7/2016 12:53 AM
I cannot wait to see the answer CS gives to the question. This is very, very intriguing and would totally change how I sent up my minor league rosters and develop prospects. And does this go for all the ratings or does stamina and durability progress differently based on how many innings/ABs the players get? In the past if I had a pitcher prospect with great L/R splits and high rated pitches and maybe a projected 60 stamina I would have them throw 80 pitches trying to get the most out of the development of their stamina. I wonder if that rating is based on number of pitches thrown or just on game played in.
2/7/2016 3:40 PM
Would be severely facked if we've all been doing it wrong, forever

2/7/2016 3:43 PM
DUR/STM are physical traits.   I don't believe playing time develops them.   Training budget does.
2/7/2016 4:14 PM
This is another answer I believe to be incorrect or misleading.

Is off-season development distinct from in-season development? That is, if a player is promoted late season and gets a promotion bump, would that bump have been received during the off-season anyway? (pajammies - All-Star - 2:50 PM)

Distinct but related. If he has a very late season bump, it most likely means his offseason bump will not be as great.

Off-season development seems limited to physical traits while in-season development is learned skills.   The promotion bump never increases a physical trait.   Therefore, off-season/promotion development are not related. 

2/7/2016 4:29 PM
(tried to post this comment from my phone last night, but the link didn't work)
That's a good point on the difference between training increases and playing time increases, MikeT.

I plan on using this SP prospect as a setup A w/ a low pitch count to get as many games played until we hear that we are incorrectly interpreting the supremacy of games played:  Player Profile: Billy Lewis - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports
2/8/2016 10:11 AM
also, with MikeT's earlier comments in mind: it would seem that where you play a prospect defensively will only impact his glove and throwing accuracy ratings (which was probably obvious to MikeT already, but maybe not to others...)

additionally, there is some give-and-take here, because the more you play prospects out of position (1B prospect at SS, for example), the more it will negatively impact your minor league teams and reduce the likelihood of making the playoffs - which would cost your prospects the extra playing time and potential postseason ratings bump.
2/8/2016 10:54 AM
Correct on both counts.    That sort of plays into the "toughest defensive position they can handle" statement.   Obviousy, if they can't handle a position, i.e. out of place, they make errors.  Which contributes to team failure.  

That said, if it's really "games played", you're already making up for it on the front end by utilizing the late inning replacement strategy on your true prospects.   They'll get 144 games when, normally, they see fatigue and have to sit. 

2/8/2016 11:53 AM
Really 162.

For instance, Player Profile: Deivi Galvez - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports is the best prospect I've had in year.    IFA signed 20-30 games into the season.
S1:  99 regular season games.
S2:  101 regular season, 16 ST, 14 post-season for a total of 131.

By using him as a late inning replacement, he gets 144, 18, and post-season.   Last season, he'd have gotten into 176 games instead of 131.

2/8/2016 12:12 PM
Galvez is a beast! how long are you planning to resist the urge to rush him to the Show? (btw, using the line of thinking discussed here, if he's an ML bench player who pinch hits every game... and stays in CF on a double switch some... he maxes out games played and benefits from your BL coaching staff)
2/8/2016 1:08 PM
Video game numbers for that prospect. That is awesome
2/8/2016 2:18 PM
Right now, he can only play 1B or LF.    He's not better than my 1B but might be better than my platoon in LF.     I don't think his range will reach CF but I'm hoping, maybe, his glove will improve enough to make him a viable option there.    Most likely, he plays this season in the minors and hits the bigs next year. 
2/8/2016 3:11 PM
Yes, but they may have only come on players who participated in the playoffs, but did not get a seventh ratings increase for whatever reason. I will have to keep an eye on that.
2/8/2016 5:01 PM
Also make sure they aren't injured players.    Their improvement/development is different especially if they don't recover all lost ratings prior to rollover.
2/8/2016 5:05 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Prospect development in Developer Chat Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.