Prospect development in Developer Chat Topic

I've seen the same as MikeT with postseason bumps. Definitely had guys get an extra bump for playing postseason games.
2/11/2016 1:20 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/11/2016 1:12:00 PM (view original):
My theory is the bump you see is a fraction.    59.6 becomes 60.  That goes for all promotion bumps/markers.   The problem in my head is whether or not the player would start at 59 or 59.6 the next season had you not promoted him.    I assume 59 because he never got that last bump or marker and that's why I promote before rollover.

Now that's pure bullshit theory with no factual base so everyone shouldn't think it's true.   But I do.

Somehow, bullshit theory seems like it be closer to WIS-truth than any factual anything.
2/11/2016 7:16 PM
One question I've always had is how much better does a prospect develop with a spring training invite and proper playing time, compared to that prospect who just gets a bump after spring training?  

Basically, Is it better to invite a guy who likely won't make it past AAA and give him some innings, ABs, games or whatever is important or just let him develop without intervention?
2/12/2016 2:00 PM
Minor leaguers invited to ST do seem to get slightly better ratings bumps over those who are not invited to ST.

But that said . . . why waste ST AB's and IP's to non-ML prospects?

2/12/2016 2:04 PM
I've never noticed a difference.  Sometimes I have to invite some lower prospects that are higher up the defensive spectrum in order to rest the few SS prospects I might have, if I actually have any at the time.  

I guess I kinda meant the fringe guys.  That DITR who might turn out okay or that supplemental pick who is on the borderline.  Obviously if we knew what their projections truly were, we wouldn't have to mess around with any of this.   If it was guaranteed they were non ML prospects the answer would be easy.
2/12/2016 6:48 PM
Posted by dakar on 2/11/2016 7:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/11/2016 1:12:00 PM (view original):
My theory is the bump you see is a fraction.    59.6 becomes 60.  That goes for all promotion bumps/markers.   The problem in my head is whether or not the player would start at 59 or 59.6 the next season had you not promoted him.    I assume 59 because he never got that last bump or marker and that's why I promote before rollover.

Now that's pure bullshit theory with no factual base so everyone shouldn't think it's true.   But I do.

Somehow, bullshit theory seems like it be closer to WIS-truth than any factual anything.
It's a solid theory. In Gridiron Dynasty, if you viewed the HTML source on the player ratings screen, you could see the actual percentages (59.7, etc) because the devs used them as the value for the width of the bar. The displayed rating would be 59, but the true rating was 59.7.
2/15/2016 1:30 PM

I had another idea to try with development for: Player Profile: Billy Lewis - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports

I'm starting him (rather than go the SetupA w/ 10/10 pitch count to maximize games played), but with his pitch count at the minimum of 40/40. He'll start every game when he's at 100, and since he's somewhat high as far as dur/sta he should see quite a few starts that way. So, this should be the best way to maximize games played, games started, and innings pitched (and thereby maximizing what admin said about games played being the end-all be-all, without completely throwing away the more sensible/logical idea of having starting pitching prospects start games).

Thoughts?

2/18/2016 1:40 PM
Posted by hockey1984 on 2/11/2016 12:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/10/2016 5:44:00 PM (view original):
In addition, tzent said playoff games help with development.  Soooooooooo, if 162 is not better than 135, why should playoff games matter?  Between ST and reg season, you should be able to get 135 games in. 

What a clusterfuck of answers.

Everyone keeps talking about playoff games helping with development but I have never seen my guys get a rating bump while in the playoffs, regardless of level. Am I missing something?
(I don't have any current examples to show here because none of my 4 teams are at the end of a season but Seattle and Toronto just ended and my minors always go deep in the playoffs so I can vouch for this)

Let's say you have a guy in Low-A and you miss the playoffs. At the end of the season he has 1 thing labelled spring training and 4 labelled regular season. If you promote him to High-A at this point you get the "5th bump" labelled Promotion.

Let's say your high-A team is in the playoffs and goes all the way to the finals, that's like 20-25 games or whatever, if you Promote again after all the minor league levels are finished, if the guy played enough games (I don't know what the exact trigger is) it gives you a "6th bump" which is also labelled Promotion. In my experience the 6th bump is not as good as the others, but it's still something. For pitchers maybe it's like an extra +1 control and an extra +1 vStrongside, maybe an extra +1 P3-P4.

The key question for me that I wonder is when you don't promote and get those 5th and 6th bumps, whether those miscellaneous +1s carry over and get added onto spring training, or whether those "remainders" get erased completely

Edit: reading upwards^^, Mike and dakar both wonder this same question
2/18/2016 6:09 PM
Posted by bigham23 on 2/18/2016 1:40:00 PM (view original):

I had another idea to try with development for: Player Profile: Billy Lewis - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports

I'm starting him (rather than go the SetupA w/ 10/10 pitch count to maximize games played), but with his pitch count at the minimum of 40/40. He'll start every game when he's at 100, and since he's somewhat high as far as dur/sta he should see quite a few starts that way. So, this should be the best way to maximize games played, games started, and innings pitched (and thereby maximizing what admin said about games played being the end-all be-all, without completely throwing away the more sensible/logical idea of having starting pitching prospects start games).

Thoughts?

I suspect this will lead to lots of experimenting, but if I understand your plan, aren't you are going to have to check him almost daily to maximize his starts? I don't think he can start all 144 games. Even if he gets 2 innings/start, that would be 288 for the season. I don't think he can do that with just a 34/75 sta/dur. I was thinking more along the lines of 10/15 as a Setup A, and then an occasional spot start if he looks like his innings are going to be too low.
2/18/2016 8:29 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/11/2016 12:58:00 PM (view original):
This will certainly be a SSS but these three are all AAAA-types barring some big improvements.    We're 59 games in and all have been SP with one regular season development cycle(plus ST).    I've moved them to SuA with a PC of 10/25 and a pull of 1.   Will see what happens over the next 85 games.

Player Profile: Enrique Gonzales - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports  7 GS/31.2 IP
Player Profile: Donatello Roberts - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports  12 GS/44.1 IP
Player Profile: Kirk Kuttler - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports   11 GS/59 IP

Nothing special happened after moving them from starters to short relievers in order to get more appearances.
3/31/2016 8:58 AM
You guys are way overthinking the complexity of the code base. It's really very simple. There's a spring training period, then six or potentially seven regular season periods (think of them like grading periods in school). The end of each regular season grading period is randomized so that the code doesn't have to chug through all the prospects in the world in a single cycle. At the end of each regular season cycle, the game determines whether a prospect has played "enough". What constitutes "enough" is special sauce but is a percentage of games played in that cycle. If the prospect has played "enough", their current stats are compared to their actual peak stats, and a random number is generated, modified for makeup, DITR status and coaching. If the random number is higher than the threshold for a particular attribute, that attribute is incremented. That increment can be more than one unit.

Time after the end of the minor league season is an extra period. If the randomized end of a grading period is before the end of the playoffs, another grading period will be generated and a player can get a seventh chance at an increment. If not, there's a chance (not 100% chance, just a chance) that the player can get that increment in the offseason. What the devs said in the chat is then correct, since the seventh inseason grading period has a potential to replace an offseason chance.

The CS note to Tec is also correct and actually pretty clear. As long as the prospect plays "enough", it doesn't matter that he didn't play every game. So playing 162 doesn't confer a benefit over 135, since both are above the "enough" threshold.

This is a pretty simple computer simulation, and you guys read a lot more nuance into it than actually exists.
4/9/2016 8:25 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by bigham23 on 2/18/2016 1:40:00 PM (view original):

Thoughts?

This was a great way to get a guy with <50 health injured. I'll have to remember this for my guys who I want to get their arms broken.
4/11/2016 9:16 AM
◂ Prev 12345
Prospect development in Developer Chat Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.