Posted by contrarian23 on 2/10/2016 8:30:00 AM (view original):
Joss is, in my opinion, no longer in the top 20 SPs in terms of value-for-money in an OL.
This is good news to many of us. May now return to OLs to see what is what. 

I was able to put together an interesting four man rotation for your theme league using the new pricing system contrarian23, though we will see how it works in practice. But knowing that one does not have to compete with Joss and co. to the same degree opens up possibilities. 

Meanwhile many thanks to ozomati for your very precise question to admin. and your calm in all of this, and for posting their answer which you have made clearer in meaning to the rest of us. 

I have taken down my previous - I now see mistaken - attempt to grasp what had happened - which I hastily posted before having read your post with their answer. 

This IS interesting in the end. The only downside I see is that many of us thought that some superstars who were not used much would come down a lot in price, if only for a few weeks before going back up when used a lot, but since they are also in the 80-90% that are not used much, their price decline will be incremental as well. So it will be a long while before we see Ted Williams 1941 in a lot of OLs, but it is also more interesting to have to find players again, instead of already knowing which ones will make you win (not that I was that good at it to begin with even then !). 
2/10/2016 12:50 PM
As it pertains to Joss, value and quality of performance are two different things. In OL's you may have to use a few more AAA batter Pa's to offset his price increase. Not a big loss. Just like the largely over priced Martinez in the prior pricing structure. He'll still be the best pitcher in over 90 percent of his head to head starting pitcher matchups.  His price increase will have a greater effect on caps below 80 million. 
2/10/2016 2:54 PM
Posted by crimsonblue on 2/10/2016 8:27:00 AM (view original):
Posted by cwillis802 on 2/9/2016 6:58:00 PM (view original):
I think Joss is now almost unusable. He is a pricy option in OLs now. But more importantly, he will hardly ever be used in themes. I find that Joss doesn't perform very well at the higher caps and his price at $12 something million seemed to be accurate when you saw his performance in a league say over $130 mil. At $14 mil I'll never be tempted to draft him in anything other than an OL. He's still money in an OL and almost makes working him onto your team more of an advantage than it already was before--especially since there will be less of him in the leagues.

It seems that it really was the OLs that needed an overhaul (or offer a few alternatives for OLs). Simple as that. I agree that pricing should be adjusted, but it made more sense to do so once per year when the new crop of players from the real MLB season just ending show up in Sim.

I'm willing to play and enjoy the pricing experiment...just seems a bit shortsighted to me.
"Working him into your team (in an OL) more of an advantage than it already was before-especially since it will be less of him in the leagues" BINGO cwillis.. Because he doesn't have to face himself as much and will not be facing superior cookie filled lineups Joss, in OL's will now be more of a 'cookie' than he was before. The point that one should "cut back" on best pitching may never be reached. Pitchers that dominate are valuable regardless. In a 3 man rotation, I'd "cut back' on the quality of a third starter that's not needed in the playoffs until it doesn't exist before I'd give up best pitching. The Freak-a-nomics of Addie Joss. 
Crimson - You got my point exactly right. I'll gladly draft Joss at just over $14 mil and breeze through the playoffs with him now. As you said, just get someone to tandem with your AAA players in the 3rd rotation spot of a 3-man rotation and then use Joss and your number 2 starter in the playoffs and you'll breeze through. Less teams will have Joss now in OLs so working him onto your team will be money in the bank.

I never wanted to draft Joss in leagues more than say $130 mil cap anyway...he doesn't perform well in those. There were always ways you could eliminate cookies in theme leagues. I play OLs but most often to experiment. Once you get to an certain point playing this game the themes are more fun. Better competition. and a new learning curve to find out what works in a given theme. The OLs are a starting point for a lot of new players to Sim. I would have been happier seeing changes made that would have given newer players a better chance to compete. For starters, ditching the fake AAA names and ratings and giving us the real names and real stats of the AAA players. Discovering how to figure out who the AAA players are by going to the AAA Just The Charts link in the forums is fun for maybe one or two seasons tops--it's really just a drag after that and I typically don't even bother. Offering other OLs on the main sign up page would have helped too. Perhaps offering a no AAA OL with a $100 mil cap that seems to be so popular in the themes that it could be a staple OL. New players would be more apt to join such a league from the get go. I really don't understand all the fuss about the price changes...it's the OLs that are effected and most of the long time players don't play those for the reasons I stated above. You kind of graduate away from OLs as you get better at the game. I actually had thought about creating a theme league that was exactly an OL but you have to have 5 or more championships to play...Oh wait a minute, don't they already have that and nobody plays??
2/10/2016 9:11 PM
Why are the two versions of 2000 David Segui priced differently?  Is it because the Texas Ranger version has been used so much more?  Because the Rangers performance history is better than the Indians version?
2/10/2016 9:22 PM
Why don't you Jossies get over it, grow some and try something else for a change? Oh right, cause you ain't got any... If you can't figure out how to win without always using the same old pitcher you could at least get bored...
Thankfully the folks at WIS are finally addressing this plague and attempting to fix the problem which has rendered OLs a complete redundant bore since last salary update sometime in 2009 if I can recall.
Btw, don't be so desperate, in 4 months your sweet little Addie should go down a bit after most thinking owners have moved on to try new and challenging options, you'll be able to afford him again without sacrificing too many PAs!
2/11/2016 10:00 AM
I don't understand what the hallabaloo is all about...theme leagues can have whatever cap they want...if 80 open caps are now too low there will be plenty of new 90m cap leagues to accommodate the disgruntled...its all a big nothing...it is just to stir up interest...it doesn't change anything that is really substantive.
and why are they holding up universal healthcare.
2/11/2016 10:08 AM
Posted by dino27 on 2/11/2016 10:08:00 AM (view original):
I don't understand what the hallabaloo is all about...theme leagues can have whatever cap they want...if 80 open caps are now too low there will be plenty of new 90m cap leagues to accommodate the disgruntled...its all a big nothing...it is just to stir up interest...it doesn't change anything that is really substantive.
This.
2/11/2016 11:59 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by ribant4 on 2/11/2016 2:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dino27 on 2/11/2016 10:08:00 AM (view original):
Somewhere there is a great wise *** response to the healthcare bit.  I just can't think of it
Because you have to start with country-wide healthcare, move to continent, then planetary, then galaxial...

Then and only then can you have universal healthcare.
2/11/2016 3:25 PM
then off to the multverse.
2/11/2016 3:33 PM
Posted by cuppie1 on 2/10/2016 9:22:00 PM (view original):
Why are the two versions of 2000 David Segui priced differently?  Is it because the Texas Ranger version has been used so much more?  Because the Rangers performance history is better than the Indians version?
It's because the Texas version was used more than twice as often.  This is just one example of why this pricing system wasn't a good idea.
2/11/2016 5:55 PM
the numbskulls that be will say Hey you shoulda ferreted out the cheap one

then they will say Sucker

2/11/2016 6:24 PM
Yes thank you...nothing to see here. Move along.
2/11/2016 6:28 PM
i would forgive the price difference if WIfS did some normalizing for ballpark or weather or time of year or elevation or fan interest or distance from home or something measurable based on baseball

what we got here is who keeps up with the kardashis

2/11/2016 6:28 PM
I miss KAHUNA...he was at least FUN to harass.
2/11/2016 6:29 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.