2016 Predictions Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 3/3/2016 9:22:00 PM (view original):
OK, Corky.

Can't stop laughing at that picture
3/3/2016 9:24 PM
Posted by d_rock97 on 3/3/2016 8:20:00 PM (view original):
I honestly think you guys are the retards. Saying Detroit isn't even a top 10 offense because of runs scored even though they were top 5 in nearly every offensive category is stupid. Because of bad luck and bad base running, they go from a top 3 offense to barely making top 15 according to y'all. There's no way you guys seriously think that. You guys are just arguing for the sake of arguing.
Anyone who thinks they don't have a top 10 offense, is incorrect... They certainly have some injury problems, and some of those stars are aging rapidly, but they are still a solid offense.

However; unless Verlander and Zimmerman can somehow turn things around and go back to being good, than I cannot see how the pitching staff is going to get them into first place. The bull-pen (closer F-Rod included) hasn't been all that consistent, so can't rely on them to keep all the games close if the starters can't keep the offense in it. They'll be solid, but I don't think they're going to be that good. They'll squeak into the Wild-Card spot, because I don't think the Astros will continue their pitching miracles from last season.

I think they'll lose in the wild-card though.
3/4/2016 7:11 AM (edited)
Posted by sjpoker on 3/3/2016 8:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by d_rock97 on 3/3/2016 7:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by sjpoker on 3/3/2016 4:56:00 PM (view original):
AL East - Toronto, NY Yankees, Baltimore, Boston, Tampa
AL Central - Royals, Twins, White Sox, Tigers***, Indians,
AL West - Astros, Rangers, Mariners, Angels, Athletics

NL East - NY Mets, Washington, Miami, Philadelphia, Atlanta
NL Central - St Louis, Cubs, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Cincinnati
NL West - Los Angeles, Arizona, San Francisco,San Diego, Colorado

WS - Royals (unfortunately) vs Cardinals. Cardinals win it all. WRITE IT THE **** DOWN!

***They just can't score. But hitting is offense. Well part of it. I mean if you exclude actually crossing home plate and running and stuff.
This again. There's no way you believe that. Only runs scored determines how good your offense is. Just like saying Carolina had the best offense last year. They scored the most points even though they were outside the top 10 in yards/game.
Dude. I'm not saying Detroit - didn't - have a good lineup. Obviously they did and do now. Its just that your statement that they were 'the second best offense in the majors' is a patently false and ridiculous statement. They did have a good batting average. But that average was lucky and there wasn't a lot behind it. Average walk rate. A K rate that wasn't very good. Pedestrian BA/RISP. Horrible base running. And of course the aforementioned result of these stats - the failure to score runs given the BA.

Thats all I'm gonna say about it from here on. Talking about Detroit as a top two 2015 'offense' is like talking about Donald Trump as a 'statesman'.
To be fair, BA/RISP is a function of luck and K rate doesn't make much difference in team run scoring. Detroit was a really good offense last year and will probably score more runs this year if they repeat their rate stats.
3/4/2016 10:12 AM
I honestly think you guys are the retards. Saying Detroit isn't even a top 10 offense because of runs scored even though they were top 5 in nearly every offensive category is stupid. Because of bad luck and bad base running, they go from a top 3 offense to barely making top 15 according to y'all. There's no way you guys seriously think that. You guys are just arguing for the sake of arguing.
Personally, I never said they were the 15th best offense. Just no way they were the 2nd best offense. I'd put them in the top 10 offenses, but not in the top 5
3/4/2016 11:51 AM
Posted by lilspike0738 on 3/4/2016 7:11:00 AM (view original):
Anyone who thinks they don't have a top 10 offense, is incorrect... They certainly have some injury problems, and some of those stars are aging rapidly, but they are still a solid offense.

However; unless Verlander and Zimmerman can somehow turn things around and go back to being good, than I cannot see how the pitching staff is going to get them into first place. The bull-pen (closer F-Rod included) hasn't been all that consistent, so can't rely on them to keep all the games close if the starters can't keep the offense in it. They'll be solid, but I don't think they're going to be that good. They'll squeak into the Wild-Card spot, because I don't think the Astros will continue their pitching miracles from last season.

I think they'll lose in the wild-card though.
Verlander was good last year. He did turn things around after the all-star break.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2620740-will-justin-verlander-vintage-end-to-2015-mean-big-things-in-2016
3/4/2016 12:27 PM
The second half performance of any player is - not - an accurate indicator of next year performance. I'm pretty sure Jeff Zimmerman or someone else at Fangraphs debunked that a year or two ago. Its a myth.
3/4/2016 1:23 PM
This is true...unless the player was recovering from an injury.
3/4/2016 1:24 PM
Well, you said if Verlander somehow turns it around. He already turned it around. It's a matter of staying at that level he was pitching at.
3/4/2016 1:28 PM
Posted by d_rock97 on 3/4/2016 1:28:00 PM (view original):
Well, you said if Verlander somehow turns it around. He already turned it around. It's a matter of staying at that level he was pitching at.
... And there is absolutely no guarantee that he will perform like he did in the second half of 2015 in 2016.
3/4/2016 6:25 PM
At least 3 teams in the NL could lose 100+ games.
Phillies, Rockies, and Reds in for epically horrendous years!
3/5/2016 11:57 AM
Posted by sjpoker on 3/4/2016 6:25:00 PM (view original):
... And there is absolutely no guarantee that he will perform like he did in the second half of 2015 in 2016.
Is there really a guarantee for anyone not named Cabrera or Kershaw?
3/5/2016 12:02 PM
Posted by d_rock97 on 3/5/2016 12:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by sjpoker on 3/4/2016 6:25:00 PM (view original):
Is there really a guarantee for anyone not named Cabrera or Kershaw?
"Does anyone really know what time it is? Does anyone really care? Abooouuttt timmmeeee?"

Because you are probably a mid-20s fanboy you'll probably have to Google it to get it. And you probably still won't get it...
3/5/2016 12:56 PM
Yeah, I'm too young to get it. What is it?
3/5/2016 1:12 PM
Posted by d_rock97 on 3/5/2016 1:12:00 PM (view original):
Yeah, I'm too young to get it. What is it?
Never mind. You could ask Lou Holtz I guess. He visited Tigers training camp today. Why I am not sure.
3/5/2016 4:04 PM
because he's old and had nothing better to do?
3/8/2016 1:28 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...8 Next ▸
2016 Predictions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.