What's your "Maximum Field Goal Distance" & why? Topic

CCHypno, I love the data, but if I were you I would throw out your data versus SIM teams, and maybe even human teams in the early stages of a rebuild. Versus established human defenses, the EV of going for it will drop a good amount and I suspect the 2.7 points per possession would be worth more.

The formula for finding the sweet spot would be so ridiculously complicated that I just leave it at 50 but almost always use Very Aggressive on 4th down attempts. You need to weigh the expected points of your own team based on the location, but you also need to factor in the expected points against you might be giving up in field position.
10/23/2018 1:14 PM
I think ddingo was suggesting that you will give up a 4th and 1 at the 1 yard line touchdown attempt for a field goal. I have built a championship team in d2 and have never had a kicker. I have had my max fg set 19 as well. To avoid kicking a fg from the 1 yard line, you must have your 4th down setting to very aggressive. I have never had a problem in the 2nd half. HOWEVER, in one instance at the end of the 1st half, the "end of game/half" logic took over my very agressive setting and kicked the field goal with no time left in the 1st half. This is the only time I kicked the fg instead of going for a 1 or 2 yard 4th down touchdown attempt.
10/24/2018 10:44 AM
Posted by buyvergecoin on 10/24/2018 10:45:00 AM (view original):
I think ddingo was suggesting that you will give up a 4th and 1 at the 1 yard line touchdown attempt for a field goal. I have built a championship team in d2 and have never had a kicker. I have had my max fg set 19 as well. To avoid kicking a fg from the 1 yard line, you must have your 4th down setting to very aggressive. I have never had a problem in the 2nd half. HOWEVER, in one instance at the end of the 1st half, the "end of game/half" logic took over my very agressive setting and kicked the field goal with no time left in the 1st half. This is the only time I kicked the fg instead of going for a 1 or 2 yard 4th down touchdown attempt.
***correction**** at the moment I do have a kicker. Only because it was a simai walkon that I couldn't switch to backup punter. So, I let him kick xp's for me nd that is it.
10/24/2018 10:48 AM
Nitros posted something one time that said he tried not carrying a kicker and he felt that it was costing him so much in kick return yardage that it was worth carrying the kicker.
10/24/2018 11:00 AM
Posted by jeffn48 on 10/24/2018 11:00:00 AM (view original):
Nitros posted something one time that said he tried not carrying a kicker and he felt that it was costing him so much in kick return yardage that it was worth carrying the kicker.
Completely agree, not carrying a K will cost you in big games where ST becomes a crucial part of the game.
10/24/2018 11:06 PM
Has anyone done the math in not carrying a P and having your K do the punting? Of course practicing P and kicking.
10/26/2018 8:54 AM
I have not done any math but I will say my exp with using an excellent Sen K doing the punting is an average aprox 35 yards per kick. Not very good compared to real punter with the same numbers.
10/26/2018 10:18 AM (edited)
I carry a punter only unless I screw the pooch in recruiting and the SIM picks up a kicker for me. I haven't noticed any downfall to kicking although I don't pay very close attention to it. And i think my teams perform well enough for me to continue that trend. I have learned a bit about the aggressiveness settings in this thread though......maybe some changes will be made.
10/26/2018 12:32 PM
Posted by chainsaw4 on 10/26/2018 8:54:00 AM (view original):
Has anyone done the math in not carrying a P and having your K do the punting? Of course practicing P and kicking.
Disastrous. A punter will never miss an xp and still be an above average fieldgoal kicker. However, a kicker trying to punt, averages in the 30's. I have even seen freshmen k's avg in the high 20's.
10/28/2018 10:59 PM
◂ Prev 123
What's your "Maximum Field Goal Distance" & why? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.