Snubbed by first-round pick Topic

Since we just drafted in one of my worlds last week, I looked back at it and my highest rated "Probably Won't Sign" prospect actually signed. He was drafted in the comp round, but ended up with the highest signing bonus.
3/10/2016 8:21 PM
Encouraging news: The prospect raised his demand, which didn't happen first go-round.
3/10/2016 11:48 PM
HE SIGNED!!! Thanks to everyone for their advice. Good trick to know!
3/11/2016 11:31 AM
So after all that, he's not really a stud. He's probably going to be a very solid everyday 2B -- good value at the 12th pick, in my opinion-- but:
  • his arm ratings are never going to get to SS levels
  • his baserunning rating is probably not going to get high enough that he'll be an élite basestealer,
  • my best guess is that bat, which would have been pretty awesome for an SS, will only get to above-average for a 2B.
Certainly worth the all hassle to sign him, though.
3/11/2016 11:59 AM
Yeah, that's the only downer is what his actual ratings turned out to be. Took a bigger hit than I would have expected, but definitely worth it.
3/11/2016 12:14 PM
Posted by drummer_66 on 3/11/2016 12:14:00 PM (view original):
Yeah, that's the only downer is what his actual ratings turned out to be. Took a bigger hit than I would have expected, but definitely worth it.
Thats the real trick. Can you post the link with his ratings?
3/11/2016 1:09 PM
Sure thing. Here are the updated ratings on Gil Rivera.
3/11/2016 9:53 PM
Ok, here's the situation: I had the 9th overall pick along with 2 supplemental picks. I was away and didn't set my draft to conservative. So the 9th overall pick turned out to my second overall choice. A pretty good pitcher.

He wants $6.5 million. I have $6.6 left. Because of this I can't sign my other 8 picks right after. Those picks look like an ave/above-ave CF, a #4 SP, SUB, no-power Mark Grace type 1B, and a backup catcher. The rest are AAAA types. This is with a $14 budget for scouting.

I'm too deep in the season to clear $6.5 million via trade so I think the choice is either sign him and lose the others, or sign the others and lose him.

So I have offered his demand 8 times. Each time, he wants to go play Ice Hockey. At some point, if he doesn't accept, I'll have to cut bait and sign the other guys.

Questions:
1) Lets say he turns me down the 8th time. If I then withdraw the money to pay the others, I lose that replacement pick the next season correct?
2) With $14 million in budget I am thinking that he's not gonna hit those numbers. Thoughts on that?
3) Even if those other guys don't quite hit their numbers (all have makeup of 78 or higher) is it foolish to go for the one good BLer and pass on 4 probable BLers?
4/26/2016 8:15 AM (edited)
1) If he turns you down to where you have the "X" by his name on your draft list, then you get the supplemental pick
2) Scouting inaccuracies are overwhelmingly overestimates rather than underestimates. So the lower your budget, the more likely you are to overestimate the player.
3) Your picks on the other guys are just as likely to be overestimates as they are on this guy, so factor that in in making your decision.
4/26/2016 1:29 PM
To clarify, when you get the Red X, the money is automatically put back in your prospect budget.

4/26/2016 2:24 PM
Ah, ok. Guess its time to wait then.
4/26/2016 4:07 PM
I would put out a message in the league you are in. If the commish is cool with it, I have often times made cash deals where I have traded bullpen guys or defensive SS's to get the cash to pay for my prospects in the draft. I find as long as the deal is fair other owners are usually pretty cool with it. But you actually have to give away someone who will make the bigs.

imagine you aren't trading for the cash but are trading for the players you will get signed with that cash.

even with the fuzzy ratings there is a good chance your other guys won't be as good as your first overall pick. It's just a rule of mine but I like to hold on to and sign my 1st rounders as if life depended on it. I think I've only signed a Type A when I have been outside of the top 16 picks twice in my HBD career and both times I had suplamental round picks.
4/27/2016 8:05 AM (edited)
Posted by hockey1984 on 4/27/2016 8:05:00 AM (view original):
I would put out a message in the league you are in. If the commish is cool with it, I have often times made cash deals where I have traded bullpen guys or defensive SS's to get the cash to pay for my prospects in the draft. I find as long as the deal is fair other owners are usually pretty cool with it. But you actually have to give away someone who will make the bigs.

imagine you aren't trading for the cash but are trading for the players you will get signed with that cash.

even with the fuzzy ratings there is a good chance your other guys won't be as good as your first overall pick. It's just a rule of mine but I like to hold on to and sign my 1st rounders as if life depended on it. I think I've only signed a Type A when I have been outside of the top 16 picks twice in my HBD career and both times I had suplamental round picks.

I veto any cash deal specifically for this reason, especially when an owner advertises "hey guys help me sign my picks."

If you got greedy early and blew all your prospect cash already, I expect you to own it.

4/27/2016 8:41 AM
They are not allowed in MG, Coop or Mantle. Because that's how morons play.

4/27/2016 8:45 AM
I'd hit it.

And the girl too. She looks cute.
4/27/2016 8:56 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Snubbed by first-round pick Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.