Can someone explain arbitration to me. Particularly if u arbitrate the first time what happens the year after... Can u negotiate long term if u already arbitrated the first year they were eligible? Just trying to know the advantages and disadvantages of arbitrating vs signing long term
5/9/2016 7:07 PM
a player has 3 arbitration years before being eligible for free agency. If you go to arb with a guy once, you can do so again the next season and not really have to worry. If yo go to arb 2 x with a player, the odds are very good he will not sign long term with you during his third arbitraation. If he's someone you want to sign long term, I'd try to do so during his second arbitration year. If he's not someone you'll want to sign long term, take him to arb all 3 times to save money
5/9/2016 7:26 PM
Usually, not exactly. From the FAQ: "Arbitration eligibility and minor league options are two different things, although most of the time they coincide. Arbitration eligibility is simple in HBD: anybody with between 3 and 5 years of big league experience is arbitration eligible."

Also, willingness to re-sign or sign long term is tied to the Patience rating. Extreme scenario, I had a pitcher with 99 Patience who I moved up and between ML and AAA a few times. I ended up sending him through arbitration five times, and even at the end of his contract he was still willing to sign long term if I wanted.

Also, you can usually arb a guy twice and decide by the third arb if you want to long term him. You'll want to keep in my mind if he's old enough to already by declining by the end of any long term deal.

5/9/2016 7:35 PM (edited)
Thanks guys that explains it
5/10/2016 9:30 AM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.