Julio Urias Topic

Regarding circumstances, home runs, and pitcher wins:

A ball is hit. If it goes over the fence, it's a home run. At least one run scores and the stat (HR) directly impacts the outcome of the game. If the same batted ball is caught because the field is bigger, it's an out. That out, though to a lesser degree than a home run, directly impacts the outcome of the game.

A pitcher pitches 7 innings, only giving up one run. Is that a win? Well, we don't know. The game has to end first. The pitcher win stat doesn't impact the outcome of the game at all. It doesn't even get assigned until the game is over. The stat is junk.
5/31/2016 6:46 PM
LOL. You and that assclown all3 think that your thoughts are so important that I must know them so you'll respond if I even acknowledge your presence.

That's funny ****.

You have the prettiest crayon drawing on the fridge, BL. You really do.
5/31/2016 6:50 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/31/2016 6:50:00 PM (view original):
LOL. You and that assclown all3 think that your thoughts are so important that I must know them so you'll respond if I even acknowledge your presence.

That's funny ****.

You have the prettiest crayon drawing on the fridge, BL. You really do.
And yet you have responded multiple times. Why? I'm not forcing you to be here.

If we go back to page one, we'll see your post at 5:41 PM bringing this topic up and referencing me directly. Then you did it again on page two the next day. Then you brought me up a third time on page two. All before anyone else was talking about the value of the win stat.

Then you hung around and chimed in while I argued with tec. It seems like you very much want to argue with me about this.
5/31/2016 7:05 PM (edited)
I don't know if you just miss me?

Or maybe you're lonely?

But the direction that this thread has taken is your creation. I enjoy talking/arguing about baseball, so keep it up. But don't act like you don't want this. Because you do.

You're begging for it.
5/31/2016 7:07 PM
5/31/2016 7:11 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 5/31/2016 5:21:00 PM (view original):
Here's my final post on this. Which is not about W/L, but about BL:

BL seems to have a massive superiority complex. He presents his opinions with an air of authority, as an indisputable truth, because I believe he thinks that he is somehow smarter than most everybody else here. He loves his new age baseball stats, he feels that he has some sort of special insight into baseball that few others have because of how he has embraced these stats, and that this application of his "special knowledge" in threads such as this one shows that he has a much more in depth and complete understanding of the game than most everybody else.

Unfortunately, for him, he doesn't. He keeps allowing himself to fall into the same old trap of eventually saying something that's utterly retarded, and then not knowing how to retreat. Examples are things like "Kenny Lofton should be in a HOF conversation because of his career WAR", and "a pitcher's W/L record is completely meaningless". When others challenge him for making these statements, he's unable to back down and admit "well, maybe that wasn't the smartest thing I've ever said". Instead, he doubles down and often follows up with a twisted argument, one that takes the original premise, turns it into something else (deflection?), and then jumps with both feel down into the rathole.

His obsession with advanced stats trumps all other knowledge about the game. If it's not covered by a stat, or is not embraced by the new-age baseball thinkers and writers, then it's either not important, or just flat-out wrong. There's no grey area in his thinking, it's all "my way, or the wrong way". And it's this stubborn adherence to this mode of thinking that makes him the source of amusement or mockery. And his lack of self-awareness doesn't allow him to realize this.

And this trait goes beyond baseball. His thoughts about politics and social matters are also influenced by this air of superiority, as we've seen in the other forums. "Rioting and lawless behavior is an effective way to bring about social change" was another classic case of saying something idiotic, refusing to back down, and then going down the rathole.
Can anyone confirm how many times BL has told me he knows I open his posts since this post? I guessing at least twice.

It stems from tec's point about massive superiority complex. He refuses to accept that someone can't possibly care about his opinion. It took him months to realize the only time I responded to his "points" was when they were quoted. And I think tec had to explain that to him.

Trust me, BL, whatever is behind those "you are blocking" notifications is something I highly doubt is worth reading. Get over yourself. You're a clown on the internet.
5/31/2016 7:19 PM
And I'm not suggesting that I'm not a clown on the internet. I just have the self-awareness to understand that is a possibility.
5/31/2016 7:21 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 5/26/2016 7:06:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/26/2016 5:41:00 PM (view original):
LOL. dahs talking about wins for pitchers. They don't matter. Ask BL.
Are you just hard when you think of me or do you actually finish in your pants?
This.
5/31/2016 7:22 PM
I think it's funny how many times on this site people spout opinion as fact, but preface it with a 'for those of us that understand the game' or 'if you follow the game closely' type statement which of course, simply means, 'don't even think of disputing this thing that I am about to declare as truth'
6/1/2016 1:52 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 5/27/2016 1:07:00 AM (view original):
I can't be objective regarding Urias, so I'll bow out of this and just enjoy seeing something incredibly rare tomorrow.
So what got lost in this whole absurd slap fight was that the "something incredibly rare" turned out to be a reminder of why it's been over a decade since a teenager made a debut in a Major League rotation. Urias failed to finish the 3rd inning, showed no command, and got tagged. Sent right back down where he came from.

The misfortune of his teammates means he's gonna get another shot at it. Let's see if he can look at least a little less overmatched next time.
6/1/2016 2:57 AM
Well, I guess "I'll bow out of this" has a different meaning to some of us.
6/1/2016 6:22 AM
Posted by dahsdebater on 6/1/2016 2:57:00 AM (view original):
I can't be objective regarding Urias, so I'll bow out of this and just enjoy seeing something incredibly rare tomorrow.
So what got lost in this whole absurd slap fight was that the "something incredibly rare" turned out to be a reminder of why it's been over a decade since a teenager made a debut in a Major League rotation. Urias failed to finish the 3rd inning, showed no command, and got tagged. Sent right back down where he came from.

The misfortune of his teammates means he's gonna get another shot at it. Let's see if he can look at least a little less overmatched next time.
Agreed. Now we'll see what he does. He'll have the benefit of working with Rick Honeycutt on a day to day basis.
6/1/2016 7:27 AM

Yeah, he wasn't ready. I doubt he'll suddenly be ready this week if he has to start again. Oh well. I still think he'll be very good, very soon.
6/1/2016 9:04 AM
So we all agree that wins are like homers in that circumstances often dictate when you get one? And that the best power hitters and pitchers almost always end up at that top of the leaderboards?
6/1/2016 11:45 AM
Posted by sjpoker on 6/1/2016 7:27:00 AM (view original):

Agreed. Now we'll see what he does. He'll have the benefit of working with Rick Honeycutt on a day to day basis.
I believe he is pitching againstt Atlanta. Jake freaking Peavy pitched 7 innings of 1 hit ball against the Braves. If Urias can't pitch decently against them, he's not ready.
6/1/2016 1:38 PM
◂ Prev 1...12|13|14|15|16 Next ▸
Julio Urias Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.