DDL#13...the 90"s. Commentary (yak) Topic

Drafting 2 teams on top of one another is a challenge. I snake myself every round. Mid pack isn't my favorite place but has worked out ok so far. I've had good luck with Mutombo/Mornings/Porter in the past and Barros is a first. Now to fill the middle.

We can chat here keeping the draft thread easier to follow.
6/3/2016 11:45 PM
My team looks very lack luster as far as name recognition goes, but I feel decent about my starting five, decent assists and defense, no one shoots under 50 EFG, but I wish I could have had more Def Rebounding BUT in these drafts you take what you can get
6/7/2016 5:27 PM
I am constantly surprised (shouldn't be I guess) at the lack of talent after the first round, round and a half in these decade leagues. No telling what my team will be like after 5 picks (Bird, Mullin, Parish, Elden Campbell, and Fat Lever). I think i'll be throwing up bricks and hopefully rebound as a team.
6/7/2016 6:06 PM
I was surprised by how quick the talent level dropped, but it has been fun. Not a big fan of having two teams but did not want the draft to slow down. Looking forward to how challenging the 50s/60s draft will be.
6/7/2016 8:58 PM
Good news: I'm picking players that actually qualify
Bad news: why the **** did I take McMillian so early
6/9/2016 2:13 AM
At the end of the day I feel OK about my team. I have pretty good defense and adequate numbers across the board. Wish I had more rebounds and threes but in this league I think everyone feels that way idk
6/13/2016 10:15 AM
That and the central division is the star division with Pippen, Stockton, Ewing, both Malones, Duncan, and MJ. Jeez
6/13/2016 10:23 AM
OK, so this is my FIRST go round at evals in any league. Please keep in mind that I am by far no expert, with only one DDL title and only one finals appearance in dh's $52 mill league (I think, but I could be wrong. I know I have been in at least one conference finals), and no finals appearances in the ODL. In fact, my teams usually get PANNED in most evals and more often than not, they are right and I am wrong lol. Also, I have seen teams that I would think shouldn't reach 25-30 wins before a season and looking at their roster, win 50+ and a title...so I obviously don't understand how WIS works or makes certain teams dominant. What follow is stricly MY opinion and that ain't worth much, but hopefully will at least be entertaining. Please no one take offense at anything I may say.

EASTERN CONFERENCE
Atlantic Division
skypilot (2) "Starship Troopers": Shawn Kemp, Kobe Bryant, Rod Strickland, Billy Owens, Christian Laettner, Jerome Williams, Willie Anderson, Sharif Abdur-Rahim, Darrell Walker, Eric Snow, Otis Smith, Andrew DeClercq

Right outta the box, I am gonna seem like a curmudgeon. Not a big fan of this team. Shawn Kemp was drafted WAY too high at #8 IMO, as I would take half the remaining 1st round over him. Kobe was just a pup in the late 90's and was also drafted FAR too early. When you can say that about any teams first 2 picks, it means Trouble with a capital T. Owens is a nice player, but coulda been picked in the 5th round, maybe 6th, but went in the 3rd. He has a couple seasons with good eFG, and can rebound for a 3, and is a good passer, but his D is 55 and under. Not great.

Strickland has high usage and poor eFG as does Abdur-Rahim. Darrell Walker is about the only late steal I can find, and that's not saying a lot. Laettner is decent, but not a great rebounder at PF or C. Williams is a solid on the boards but won't give sky much else.

My prediction: Right outta the gate, I would guess this will be one of the weakest teams in the league. Watch them go 55-27 now lol.

rjk2781 Event Horizon": Jason Kidd, Derek Harper, Hot Rod Williams, Dan Majerle, Cliff Robinson, Doug Christie, PJ Brown, Keith Jennings, Duane Causwell, Kelvin Cato, Howard Eisley, Bryon Russell

Where are the big men? As Clara Peller would say "Where's the beef?" For those of you under like 35, Clara Peller was an 80+ year old actress who rose to fame on Wendy's commercials yelling the aforementioned phrase).

Kidd is one of the best PG's in the game in this era. Solid pick at 16. Then Derek Harper in the 2nd round is a bit of a question mark. He is a solid player but kinda like Jason Kidd-light. Hot Rod Williams is a defensive force, but not as solid on the boards as one might think. Then another G/F in Majerle and a PF/C (Cliff Robinson) who shoots 3's and is weak on the boards. But then, rjk made up for it by taking Doug Christie. Wait, huh? ANOTHER perimeter G/F? Finally PJ Brown to the rescue. Something sounds really wrong with that statement though. Causwell and Cato are strong defenders in the paint who can rebound, but I think it's too little, too late at that point.

My prediction: Far too low on the boards, and a little low on usage for my tastes. I think this team misses the playoffs with a 35-47 type record.

slamdaham61 (2) "Terminator 2: Judgment Day": Alonzo Mourning, Terry Porter, Charles Oakley, Mitch Richmond, Sean Elliott, Michael Cage, Jalen Rose, Jamie Feick, Tony Battie, Andrew Lang, Sleepy Floyd, Jay Humphries

Now THIS is more like it! GREAT defender who can score with very nice usage in round one with Zo. Then a perimeter scorer with assists and 3's in Porter. Then a rebounder extraordinaire in round 3 with Oakley. A scorer with decent assists, great usage and 3's in Richmond, and a nice SF in Elliott who can do it all pretty well. D on the wings won't be awe-inspiring, as Elliott and Richmond are ok at best, but Zo, and Cage will handle rebounds. Zo will handle interior D, Battie will provide decent relief in the paint, and the bench has some nice role players.

My prediction: A tough team with interior and perimeter scoring and decent depth. I would put money on slam making the playoffs with this bunch and guess close to 50 wins.

bkbillups "The Hand That Rocks Magic Johnson": Magic Johnson, Kevin Garnett, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Hersey Hawkins, Matt Geiger, Dell Curry, Stanley Roberts, Sam Cassell, Brian Williams/Bison Dele, Miachel Ansley, John Crotty, Wayman Tisdale

Magic is a STUD with possibly his best season late in his career in this decade. Can't fault that pick at 12. Garnett in the 2nd round is a BIT of a reach. He really hadn't reached his peak yet in this time period. That being said, where he was picked was about right, so a decent choice at the time. Ilgauskas in the 3rd seemed like a reach to me at first until I looked at his rebounding #'s, usage and eFG. Low minutes but very good when he's on the floor. That makes him a good pick in a league like this....not so much in the ODL or DH52.

Hawkins and Curry can hit the 3 and have above avg eFG's; Geiger and Williams/Dele are pretty good rebounders and can score in the paint. Ansley can rebound and be a great defender situationally. Crotty and Tisdale can score off the bench.

My prediction: Nice mix of offense and scoring, defense, and rebounding as well as 3's. Should make the playoffs handily with 47-53 wins.

uptowngbv "Thick As Thieves": Penny Hardaway, Terrell Brandon, Ervin Johnson, James Worthy, Ben Wallace, Dennis Scott, Loy Vaught, Greg Anderson, Drew Barry, Jeff Malone, Steve Henson, Richard Dumas

An interesting mix of players here. Lil Penny to start was nice. Brandon in the 2nd round was pretty good value wise, but makes it tough in the paint because of so few solid big men who can rebound, defend and score in this era. Worthy in the 3rd won't help that problem very much, as he has a high eFG, but rebounds like a midget, ERRRR "little person" with concrete Converses. The "OTHER" Erv Johnson gives you solid rebounding, D and toughness, but no scoring. Wallace has one season where he is kinda like Ben Wallace in his prime, but even Big Ben in his prime won't give you much scoring in the paint either. Neither will Cadillac. Loy Vaught will need to make up the dearth of low post scoring or this team will be in trouble.

My prediction: Lack of interior scoring will be a big problem. Good eFG and usage from the guards will help but I just don't think there is enough other than that. I'd guess a few games under .500 and a borderline playoff team. If I had to put money on it, I'd say no to the playoffs.

grayfoxx "Admiral Scissorhands": David Robinson, Mark Jackson, Allen Iverson, Eddie Jones, Danny Fortson, Robert Horry, Brevin Knight, Antonio Davis, Stephon Marbury, Larry Smith, Voshon Leonard, Adam Keefe

I sitemailed grayfoxx and told him I thought he did a GREAT job filling in for robusk, considering he was almost two full rounds behind when he took over. I MEANT THAT! Robinson in the 1st gives him great interior scoring, defense and rebounding for sure. That certainly makes drafting easier in this league. Jackson is probably the 2nd best assist guy (after Stockton) in this era, but yeah his eFG isn't great. Iverson isn't liked by many WIS "experts" it seems, but it also seems that he overperforms to me in any league I have ever been in with him being used. Eddie Jones can D with the best of them in the era, hit 3's and is decent in every other facet. Horry is a nice backup for him. Brevin Knight is the perfect backup for Jackson. Fortson and Larry Smith will be the main guys at the 4, which means D at that position will be next to nothing. Wish I had Karl Malone agaisnt them lol, but they certainly will rebound if you miss.

My prediction: I actually like this team, and GF did a GREAT job filling in. I think this team makes the playoffs, 5-10 games over .500. The interior D of Fortson/Smith and the inconsistencies of Iverson & Voshon Leonard probably means they won't have a real long run, but you never know.

Central Division
Poddy "Suburbia": Tim Duncan, Dominique Wilkins, Avery Johnson, Detlef Schrempf, Mark West, Olden Polynice, Scott Skiles, Orlando Woolridge, Hubert Davis, Chuck Person, Jerry Stackhouse, Tim Perry

Duncan with the 9th pick was just about right. I like "The Human Highlight Film" in the 2nd too. You got two high usage guys who give you quite a bit of versatility with both. Avery Johnson in the 3rd seems like a reach at first thought, but when you look at what was left at the PG spot, it wasn't a bad pick. Schrempf had one great year in this decade, where he especially is great at hitting 3's, but his D is suspect and his usage isn't as high as you'd like. Mark West is decent defensively, average at rebounding and has a very high eFG. Too bad his usage sucks. Hubert Davis and Chuck Person can hit 3's with decent usage, but defense is horrible, especially with Davis. More plus/minus action--Polynice, great rebounding/lousy D. Skiles, great assists, lousy D. Stackhouse--great usage/ lousy results.

My prediction: I'm kinda torn. I like Duncan and Wilkins as a combo, but the rest seem too inconsistent and there is no real focus for this team. Are they a defensive minded team? No. Are they an offensive juggernaut? No. Great depth? Not really. I guess I'd say--borderline playoff team that could go either way.

thomcat "The Sixth Man": Patrick Ewing, Antonio McDyess, Tyrone Hill, Muggsy Bogues, John Starks, Theo Ratliff, Isaiah Rider, Greg Ostertag, Chris Childs, Monty Williams,

An interesting team and I can see the thought process in building it. Ewing in the 1st. A no brainer. McDyess in the 2nd is a solid pick. Good usage, pretty good rebounding and D & eFG. Tyrone Hill makes up for the crappy rebounding of Ewing. Bogues is one of the best assist to TO rations in the decade and not a reach at all. His D could hurt him against teams with scoring PG's though. Starks can hit 3's and D up anyone if he uses the right season. Ratliff gives him great D, decent rebounding, but not much scoring. Ostertag is a defensive force off the bench. Rider is the ideal 6th man--quick offense off the bench. This team has nice balance.

My prediction: This is one of those teams I was talking about in my 1st paragraph. Doesn't seem awe-inspiring on paper but will probably be one of the better teams. I'd say they will make the playoffs and be one of the better teams in the conference.

98average "Mailman's List": Karl Malone, Gheorghe Muresan, Danny Manning, Benoit Benjamin, David Wesley, Kenny Smith, Rick Fox, Craig Ehlo, Michael Smith, Mario Bennett, Jim Les, Pete Chilcutt

Malone is a no-brainer in the 1st round. Muresan in the 2nd--not so much. Good eFG but not as great rebounding, defense or blocks as you'd think for a 7'6" guy. Not to mention fairly low minutes. But 98 usually knows what he's doing in these decade leagues, and backingh him up with Benjamin was brilliant. 98 is VERY good at getting productive players in the 9th and 10th rounds while some others are taking scrubs.

My prediction: 98 has some nice balance with a number of guys who can hit 3's and draw defenses out, which should allow the Mailman to flourish. Still not sold on Muresan and Benjamin at the other interior positions, but if he is right and I am wrong, this should be a playoff team

rangerscott "The Scottie Pippen Redemption": Scottie Pippen, Moses Malone, Jeff Hornacek, Charlie Ward, Michael Williams, Brian Grant, Terry Cummings, Marcus Camby, Jermaine O'Neal, Brent Barry, Doc Rivers, Sarunas Marcelonius

Pippen will give this team a strong wing defender who can do it all. Moses doesn't have his best season in this decade but will help down low. Grant will play a lot of minutes very effectively along with Camby and Jermaine O'Neal. Hornacek was in his prime but defense is adaquate at best. Ward, Williams and Barry will provide 3's average to good D, and OK usage. Doc and Sarunas will provide nice depth off the bench.

My prediction: Pretty good balance here. Pretty strong rebounding, decent interior/perimeter scoring, especially shooting percentages. A little weak in assists. Not sure if there will be enough scoring though, as most of the players are at 2-4 usage points. Borderline playoff team if the scoring is there.

HughGRexion "The Stockton Sense": John Stockton, Tim Hardaway, Kevin Willis, Cedric Ceballos, Dino Radja, Joe Smith, Walt Williams, Scott Burrell, Popeye Jones, Steve Kerr, Jim McIlvane, Tim Legler

This team should be VERY strong in assists, with both Stockton and Hardaway starting. Ceballos provides very good usage and eFG. Should be VERY strong at 3's, with those two PG's as well as Burrell, Williams, Kerr and Legler. Willis and Popeye are among the best rebounders in the decade, but their defense is abysmal. Radja provides low post scoring but at lower minutes. Smith is a good defender and decent scorer, but weak at rebounding.

My prediction: Should be a playoff team due to the guards. If Radja and Smith can provide enough low post scoring to force opponents to at least stay with a balanced D, this team could be one of the better ones. Also if the lack of defense of Willis/Popeye doesn't hurt them too much. I'd guess anywhere between 45 and 55 wins.

smoke117 "Broken Arrow": Michael Jordan, Derrick Coleman, Kenny Anderson, Vince Carter, Armon Gilliam, Ray Allen, Nick Van Exel, Mark Eaton, Sam Bowie, John Bagley, 2 SCRUBS

smoke has the GOAT, which should automatically make him a playoff team in this decade. Coleman adds above average low post scoring and D. Carter makes for na interesting pairing with MJ as they are basically the same player. Gilliam is a pretty good rebounder off the bench, and can score with above avg eFG. Van Smak (as Jim Rome used to say) and Kenny Anderson will give him assists but also kill him with high usage for low eFG ratio. Ray Allen, like Kevin Garnett and TMac, didn't really hit his stride yet in this decade, so won't be as much of addition as you'd think, plus his D wasn't up to par yet either. I would have tried to find two excellent rebounding bigs or bigs with great D instead of just taking two scrubs, but that was smoke's choice

My prediction: Should be at least a borderline playoff team. I hate the Anderson/Van Exel pairing at PG though, which could cost them that playoff berth OR lead to a quick ouster from the playoffs if they make it in.
6/18/2016 7:00 AM (edited)
WESTERN CONFERENCE
Midwest division
bkbillups (2) "Saving Arvydas Sabonis": Larry Nance, Kevin McHale, Arvydas Sabonis, Toni Kukoc, Eric Murdock, Charles D. Smith, Stacey Augmon, Brent Price, Dean Garrett, Sam Perkins,

Very strong team defensively. Nance and McHale are a dangerous combo. Both are top notch defenders at the 3 and 4 spots, have 2-4 usage points and OUTSTANDING FG%. Augmon, Garrett and Perkins are solid defenders off the bench. Sabonis has low minutes at C, but when he's out there, will put up very good numbers. CD Smith provides good usage and eFG off the bench, but is weak off the glass. Kukoc does it all pretty well. Price can hit 3's off the bench. The only wekaness I see is that bk will be low on assists, especially with Murdock not really your prototypical PG--he's more of a scorer than a distributor. McHale and Nance don't pass much, and with no one to consistently get them the ball, their shooting percentages may suffer a tad.

My prediction: This shortage of assists could cost them, but there is no doubt they have some very effective scorers. I would guess they will make the playoffs with somewhere between 45 and 50 wins.

tstamp2 "The Big Barkowski": Charles Barkley, Vlade Divac, Nate McMillan, Darrell Armstrong, Reggie Williams, Roy Tarpley, Tracy McGrady, Bob Sura, Spud Webb, Samaki Walker, Robert Pack, Adrian Caldwell

Sir Charles has three usable seasons that are all outstanding offensively, albeit average defensively, plus he can pass well. Vlade is an effective big man and should work well in this league. McMillan was drafted worfully high, but tstamp made up for it by taking Darrell Armstrong, who will be MUCH more effective offensively. Tarpley was a great choice when he got him, and will help on the boards with Barkley, giving him two strong guys off the glass. Reggie Williams is a decent player, but I think there were more effective players to take at that point. He will provide above average defense though if not great shooting. Sura was a curious choice, with his horrible eFG #'s. McGrady really hadn't started pitting up TMac type numbers yet in this decade, but will provide some scoring punch off the bench and decent D.

My prediction: This teams starting five is pretty strong. He should be pretty good at rebounding, but other than Barkley, the shooting percentages could be somewhat low. I see an overall lack of qualtity depth too with too many role players. I would guess this team wills truggle to reach the playoffs, finishing with 35-40 wins.

slamdaham61 "12 Monkeys": Dikembe Mutombo, Dana Barros, Wes Person, AC Green, Chris Dudley, Allen Houston, Rolando Blackmon, Johnny Dawkins, Jerome Lane, Donyell Marshall, Danny Ainge, John Wallace

While not being as impressive as slamdahams 2nd team, there are some nice pieces on this team. Mutombo is a monster defensively down low. Barros best season is scary from beyond the arc, but you'd wish his usage was higher and his D better. LOVE Wes Person in the 3rd in this league! Green is a perfect role player at the 3. Blackmon and Dawkins were nice choices when he got them. Houston can score effectively, but will be a defensive liability when on the floor. Dudley is an offensive rebounding stud, but very limited offensively. Donyell Marshall will defend but wasn't the offensive force that he became in the next decade. But he was an ok pick at that point, just won't help as much in this decade.

My prediction: Mutombo will make them hard to score against in the paint, while Person and Green will defend the wings well. I think there may be a bit of a dearth of scoring here though. He tried to make up for that with Houston and Blackmon, but it may be a little too late. I think this team may lose quite a few 100-92 type games. Should win a few low scoring type games too though, so I'd say this is a borderline .500 team and borderline playoff team.

roadhouse19 "LA Confidential":: Hakeem Olajuwon, Vin Baker, Clarence Weatherspoon, Pooh Richardson, Nick Anderson, Ron Harper, Rick Mahorn, Dee Brown, Lionel Simmons, Manute Bol, Alton Lister, Kevin Gamble

It's hard to argue against Olajuwon as the 3rd pick in this decade as his pure numbers are unreal. But for some reason, CONSISTENTLY underperforms in WIS. Vin Baker and Weatherspoon are effective scorers in the paint as well. Will they all be able to co-exist in the same painted area in the same starting unit is my question. The backcourt of Pooh, Nick Anderson, Ron Harper & Dee Brown is pretty strong, but may be a case of TOO much usage and not enough distribution. There are some nice tools off the bench though too. Bol and Lister will provide great defense and boards respectively, and Lionel Simmons was a STEAL at that point of the draft, with above avg usage and above 80 D. He will back up Spoon nicely at the 3.

My predication: I think this is a playoff team. Nice offense in the paint and scorers in the back court. Could be a lil weak from the outside, but Anderson and Brown & Gamble should help that. Just wonder if there is enough passing to get the ball to Hakeem and Vin consistently. I'd guess 45-50 wins.

amerk1180 "There's Something About Markie": Grant Hill, Horace Grant, Mark Price, Reggie Lewis, Shawn Bradley, LaPhonso Ellis, Glenn Robinson, Mahmoud Abdul_Rauf, Kendall Gill, Malik Rose, Tony Delk, Cherokee Parks

OK, time for me to be a little biased lol. Grant Hill sucks in WIS leagues, but I'm hoping maybe in a decade league like this, he will flourish. He definitely does a lot of things very well. Grant will provide defense and good eFG, probably at the 4. Price can hit 3's and is an effective scorer and pretty good distributor, but could hurt defensively. Reggie Lewis and Glenn "Big Dog" Robinson provide scoring at the 2 or 3 spots, as well as above average D. Bradley will help defensively in the paint, rebounds OK, but won't give me much offense. The Fonz will be a nice complement to Bradley in the paint though. Abdul Rauf is an OK passer but provides strong usage off the bench at the point. Delk can hit 3's off the bench. Malik Rose provides great defense and rebounding at the 3 or 4.

My prediction: admittedly I'm biased as I drafted this team, but I think this will be one of the better teams in the conference. Lotta scoring depth and decent passing, especially with Hill at the SF spot. Possibly TOO much usage and not enough distribution though...not sure. Rebounding could be one of the only holes on this team, but if they can get effective rebounding and not be outrebounded consistently, I think I win 50+ games.

jethroeg "Armageddon": Brad Daugherty, Clyde Drexler, Glen Rice, Damon Stoudamire, Otis Thorpe, Sherman Douglas, Felton Spencer, Antoine Walker, Dale Ellis, Ken Norman, 2 SCRUBS

DEFENSE!..DEFENSE!...will be what the home crowds of this team will be chanting all season. Daugherty is an effective scorer in the paint no doubt, but a lil weak at rebounding and poor defensively. Rice AND Dale Ellis on the same team! Too bad they couldn't add Allen Houston or Peja too. Rice and Ellis will fill up baskets every game....for BOTH teams. Their OLE defense will be a boon to opposing scorers, as much as they will light up scoreboards themselves. Other than Drexler, there won't be a defender on the floor with a defensive rating over 50 most of the time. That spells TROUBLE, and a lot of 134-118 type losses.

My prediction: I hate to rip jethro because he was a big help joining very late to help out, but his wanting to originally call his team "Last Again?" will be prophetic. 25 wins or so I'm guessing.

West division
superrobb420 "Boyz N the Hood": Shaquille O'Neal, Latrell Sprewell, Rodney McCray, Tom Gugliotta, Bo Outlaw, Rik Smits, Steve Smith, Cory Alexander, George Lynch, Terry Mills, Vern Fleming, Frank Brickowski

Shaq down low with some of those Orlando years stats will make him one of the league MVP choices. Rod McCray and Sprewell are effective defenders on the wings, while Spree can score effectively at times. Smits has far too high usage for his production, as his eFG for a big man really sucks. With Shaq though, he won't have to play a ton of minutes. Outlaw is a great defender at the 3 or 4, but a lil weak at rebounding. Gugs does a lot of things well, but like Smits, his usage is high, but his percentages aren't great. Some quality depth players in Smith, Alexander, Lynch and Mills. A big negative though, is I don't see many strong distributors. There really isn't a pure point guard on the team who can play 30+ minutes. This lack of assists could hurt Shaq, Gugs and the scorers effectiveness on this team.

My prediction: This team should be strong defensively and has scoring but it remains to be seen if that lack of assists will hurt them badly or how much. I think this team makes the playoffs, but might be a one or two round ouster. I';d guess somewhere around 44-46
wins.

jpeterso "Reservoir Dogs": Larry Bird, Chris Mullin, Robert Parish, Elden Campbell, Fat Lever, Bill Laimbeer, Rasheed Wallace, Mo Cheeks, Drazen Petrovic, John Salley, Xavier McDaniel, John Paxson

Bird admittedly was a pick of the heart in the 1st round. He was no where near the Bird in his prime in this decade. Mullin on the other hand, was never better than in the early 90's and should be this teams top scorer. Parisk, Campbell, Sheed and Salley down low are a nice nucleus. Great defense and adaquate rebounding. Parish and Sheed are effective scorers as well. Laimbeer is a curious pick. I don't know how many minutes he will see with those other four on the roster, just because he is such a defensive liability, compared to the others. Mo Cheeks and Lever won'th it many three's but are top notch defenders at the point. Paxson is a nice role player off the bench, as is Drazen, but both aren't the best defenders.

My prediction: A nice mix of defense and scoring would be a positive. A lack of outside shooting would be a negative. Bird in the 1st and Laimbeer would be a negative. Other than Mullin and Xavier McDaniel, there is not a lot of high usage points. Overall, this team COULD make the playoffs, but it might be a struggle. I'd guess somewhere between 36-40 wins.

dh555 "Searching for Bobby Phills": Gary Payton, Anthony Mason, Pervis Ellison, Bobby Phills, Paul Pierce, Billy Thompson, Will Perdue, Greg Anthony, Carlos Rogers, Kenny Williams, Jelani McCoy, Jon Barry

Payton was at his absolute prime in this whole decade and will have plenty of good seasons to choose from. I've never been a big fan of Mason, but he seems to be a pretty effective player in WIS whenever he plays against me. Ellison is a decent big man for a decade league like this. Pierce was an absolute steal. His rookie season in 98-99 provides some very good numbers...73 D and over 40% from the arc and four usage points. Phills also defends (80), can hit the occasional 3 and is very effective when he does score. He has some pretty good role players who all had at least one good season in the decade. This is one of those teams that doesn't wow you on paper, but I am betting that in WIS, will gel well together.

My prediction: Will make the playoffs and be one of the better teams in the conference. Somewhere around 50 wins.

cmcafeeky "Blue Brothers 2000": Dennis Rodman, Reggie Miller, Dale Davis, Larry Johnson, Gary Grant, Chris Gatling, Brian Shaw, Ed Pinckney, Tracy Murray, David Vaughn. David Greenwood, Kurt Rambis

Cmac says this is one of his weakest teams in this decade leagues. I would have to agree. He will be one of the strongest teams in the league off the glass with Rodman, Davis, Gatling, Pinckney, Greenwood and Rambis. Problem is, really none of those guys (other than Gatling) can score or really even TRY to score. All have .5-1.0 usage points. Miller and Granmama will be asked to pick up the scoring punch, but both are poor defenders. Defense to those guys is the thing that separates their back yard from their neighbors back yard. This team will score and get a lot of put backs, but should also give up plenty of points. Oh, and there isn't a ton of assists either, with Grant and Shaw being the primary distributors.

My prediction: Around 30-33 wins and missing the playoffs.

skypilot "The Usual Suspects": Kevin Johnson, Chris Webber, Joe Dumars, Jayson Williams, Rony Seikaly, Derrick McKey, Elliott Perry, Jerome Kersey, Anthony Bowie, Shandon Anderson, Lorenzen Wright, Rodney Rogers

KJ late in the first round was a bit surprising. He was a nice player who does a lot well, but his defense is just average. Webber and Dumars make for a nice inside-outscide scoring punch and they can both defend well. Jayson Williams is a weird player. He is an offensive rebounding juggernaut, but his D is not great, he doesn't score a lot and has a bad %, and rarely blocks a shot. Derrick McKey is an elite defender on the wings, but not that great an effective scorer. Seikaly give sky the scoring that Williams doesn't. It will be interesting to see how he divvies up the minutes among those two and CWeb., Some very good role players off the bench in Anderson, Perry and Rodney Rogers, who was a steal in the final round.

My prediction: Despite the defensive shortcomings of a few of these guys, there is a nice mix of post scoring and outside shooting. There should be enough assists and rebounding. I think this team makes the playoffs and should be better than sky's other team.

samuelyork93 "Alvin & the Chipmunks": Mookie Blaylock, Alvin Robertson, Buck Williams, Tom Chambers, Oliver Miller, Ricky Pierce, Khalid Reeves, Isiah Thomas, Brad Lohaus, Scott Williams, Clifford Rozier, Danny Ferry

OK, finally....lat team. I have never been a fan of Mookie. I think his usage is too high and his percentages too low to be drafted as high as he always is, but his teams on WIS always seem to be pretty good, except for mine the one time I used him lol. What he can do is defend, and he does that as well as anybody at the PG spot. Pair him up with Alvin Robertson, and you have a scary backcourt defensively. Buck Williams rebounds and defends, as does Oliver Miller. Neither gives you much offense or usage though. Tom Chambers can score, but like Gugliotta, has high usage and poor percentages, as well as average rebounding for a big. I like Isaih Thomas off the bench here. Not a great eFG guy, but can score with a high usage, is a decent defender, and is a high assist guy. The perfect complement for Mookie. Same player really, minus the D and 3's but higher assist rate. Lohaus, Scott Williams and Rozier are nice role players down low off the bench.

My prediction: Should lead the league in steals, and win a bunch of primarily low scoring games. I don't see a ton of elite scorers though, and the ones that do, do not do it at a high shooting percentage. If this team had an elite Offensive Rebounding guy, like a Tarpley, Jayson Williams, Chris Dudley or Rodman, I would think they would make the playoffs. I don't see that on this team though, and I don't think there will be enough offensive rebounding guys to put back the misses that Mookie, Zeke or Chambers brick up. I'd guess they miss the playoffs with anywhere between 35 and 40 wins.

Well, thats my first crack at doing evals. Send hate sitemails to amerk1180 lol
6/18/2016 8:17 PM (edited)
The only comment I have about my team is to remind you that Alvin rob is a great off reb at his position with over 9% and I think efg of 50 is high enough for this league (referring to mookie and Chambers)
6/18/2016 9:36 PM
I loved my Magic team until the KG pick, immediately regretted it. Wanted defense and little bit of passing from 3 spot and afterwards I felt like I reached for him. Since this is my first decades league, I was not sure how everything would fall. Really wanted Gatling for his scoring, but waited too late. Lots of minutes, drafted Tisdale in case I need extra scoring.

The other team is way low on assists and I was hoping to use one of the lower minute Sabonis seasons to get more assists but I could not find another center I liked for that team to make up for minutes. I'm not sure how this team will do but I did draft majority high minute backups to adjust players per game.

Enjoyed the write ups, think you did a good job and you were spot on for my teams.
6/18/2016 10:44 PM
DDL#13...the 90"s. Commentary (yak) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.