When and Why? Topic

I know it's a horrid idea to ask a serious question in these Forums, but maybe I'll actually get an answer I can understand instead of some attempted PC BS babble.

For over 200 years, people relocating to America accepted the fact they would need to learn English to live here comfortably. When and why did that stop? Why now is it the US Goverment's duty to publish things in all sorts of Languages? WTH happened? Do any other Governments in the World do that? Not discriminating is one thing, but all this enabling garbage is something equally as wrong.
6/11/2016 11:23 PM
There is no official language in the US. Even the predominant language is from another country (England).

If large segments of the population speak Spanish or Korean or Portuguese, then it makes sense for the government to print info in those languages.
6/12/2016 12:04 AM
That's not answering his question.

And even though there is "no official language" in the US, all official business is conducted in English. So English is the de facto official language.
6/12/2016 8:29 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 6/12/2016 12:04:00 AM (view original):
There is no official language in the US. Even the predominant language is from another country (England).

If large segments of the population speak Spanish or Korean or Portuguese, then it makes sense for the government to print info in those languages.
Maybe try again. There has never been an "official" language, but that's how it was done. Large populations of people always spoke Spanish or Korean or Portuguese when they got here, but accepted the fact they needed to learn English to get by. When and why did they feel like telling America "F*ck you, I'm speaking my language and you'll cater to me, because that's what I want."? No other Country does that stupid sheit.
6/12/2016 9:32 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 6/12/2016 8:30:00 AM (view original):

And even though there is "no official language" in the US, all official business is conducted in English. So English is the de facto official language.
Official business is conducted in English only because that's the primary demographic. If that demographic shifts, the language used for official business shifts too.

6/12/2016 9:55 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 6/12/2016 9:55:00 AM (view original):

Official business is conducted in English only because that's the primary demographic. If that demographic shifts, the language used for official business shifts too.

Sure.

One day, the US House and the US Senate will suddenly start conducting their business in Spanish. Or Chinese. Or whatever.

Let me know when that happens.

Moron.
6/12/2016 10:41 AM
I don't think that's likely. But if a third of the population of a city speaks Spanish, it makes sense for that city government to publish things in both English and Spanish.

It's kind of a weird thing to complain about.
6/12/2016 10:52 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 6/12/2016 12:04:00 AM (view original):

SPEAK ENGLISH!
6/12/2016 11:11 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 6/12/2016 9:55:00 AM (view original):

THE ONLY WAY LANGUAGE WOULD "SHIFT" as you put it, IS IF YOU WERE INVADED BY PEOPLE OF ANOTHER LANGUAGE.

The French and English and Spanish invaded these 57 states. The English won. You don't change your language unless you are conquered.
6/12/2016 11:19 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 6/12/2016 10:52:00 AM (view original):
I don't think that's likely. But if a third of the population of a city speaks Spanish, it makes sense for that city government to publish things in both English and Spanish.

Again, you're not answering his question. Yes it's happening. It never used to happen. But now it is. What caused the change?
6/12/2016 11:22 AM

YOU'RE KINDA WIERD! Why 1/3? Why are people speaking another language in an English speaking country? How did they get here and why are they here and how long will they be here and when can we expect them to leave here?
6/12/2016 11:27 AM
6/12/2016 12:58 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 6/12/2016 11:22:00 AM (view original):

Again, you're not answering his question. Yes it's happening. It never used to happen. But now it is. What caused the change?
I think most immigrants learn enough conversational English to get by day to day. But all is talking about government notices, ballots, legal docs etc. I think it's probably a tall order to expect an adult immigrant to learn English well enough to use it for that.

And other countries do accommodate non-native speakers. My cousin works for the UN in Denmark and gets most things in English even though the official language is Danish.
6/12/2016 3:58 PM
English is the dominant language in most international business and global communication, due to historical reasons. English is also used by air traffic controllers as the "common language" when the flight crew speaks a different native language than the ground station.
6/12/2016 4:34 PM
So what? Other governments accommodate non-native languages.
6/12/2016 5:08 PM
12 Next ▸
When and Why? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.