D1 Requirements Topic

Posted by Mr_Kid on 6/24/2016 11:03:00 AM (view original):
Hello,

I have a PI entry as a d3 coach my first season and 2 NT bids in a row at D2. What will it take me to be eligible to coach a d1 school?
For me, when I was in Div-2, qualifying for a low end Div-1 school required 3 NT bids (bounced in the 1st round each time).
It took me 6 years to make those 3 NT's.
My only Div-1 offers after those 3 NT's were from D-minus schools only, all in low majors (there might have been 10 to 15 jobs available).

Once I made it to Div-1 (low-major, D-minus Holy Cross in my case), it took 3 more NT bids (with 1 win total) to qualify for any Big Six.
Those available Big-6 jobs included only schools whose prestige had dropped lower than mine at Holy Cross.
I had pulled Holy Cross up to a B-minus (with RPI's in the 40's for a few years in a row), and was qualified for Providence, which was a "C" prestige.
I also qualified for Cincinnati (with C prestige), but not Seton Hall (with B-minus prestige).
I'm not sure if you need to be 2 ticks up in the letter grade system (B-minus to straight-C), or just 1 tick (B-minus to C-plus).

Good luck!
6/24/2016 5:29 PM
I appreciate the help all!! I really do! My goal is to go coach Liberty University(my alma mater). They are a D prestige in Rupp so maybe a few seasons away from it! I would just find it very satisfying to coach them. I understand I have so many better schools at my disposal, but I would find it a pleasure to possibly build LU up!
6/24/2016 7:01 PM
Posted by Mr_Kid on 6/24/2016 4:03:00 PM (view original):
Wow, I find some of these comments a little destructive. Yes, I am under 30. I am 24 years old. However, I am a very successful person in life. I am just eager to learn more about this game and was genuinely wondering how long it took(Considering this is a game and it's not obscene to think after a few seasons you could become a division 1 coach). Since I realized that the jump from division 3 to 2 was so quick, I wasn't sure about division 2 to 1.

+1
6/24/2016 7:37 PM
Wasn't actually being at Liberty enough punishment already?
6/24/2016 8:08 PM
Posted by Mr_Kid on 6/24/2016 7:01:00 PM (view original):
I appreciate the help all!! I really do! My goal is to go coach Liberty University(my alma mater). They are a D prestige in Rupp so maybe a few seasons away from it! I would just find it very satisfying to coach them. I understand I have so many better schools at my disposal, but I would find it a pleasure to possibly build LU up!
I coached Liberty once, but used a different user ID Billy_Graham. Decided it would be fun to build a team with only player names that were found in the Bible. And I picked Christian colleges. Actually somehow won a National Championship at D3 with Nazareth. Still pretty amazed by that feat. I thought Liberty was a nice location. It should not be that hard to coach at Liberty. I'd just stay at D2 until you qualify for that school. Liberty would be a low level D1 program, so it should be relatively easy to get if it is vacant and a low prestige. I coached them in Rupp too. If you continue what you are doing at your current school, you may qualify in a couple more years, possibly even one more year.
6/24/2016 9:42 PM (edited)
Yeah man!! I actually really enjoyed attending LU so don't hate :). I saw the coach name Billy_Graham. Nice to know who it is now!!!
6/24/2016 10:35 PM
Yeah - That was a fun project, but I don't like having 2 IDs and having to switch between them. Plus, it got really hard when I got to Baylor to use the strategy at the higher levels of D1. And I always hated having to pass on a really good player because of his name - LOL.
6/25/2016 8:57 AM
haha! yeah!
6/27/2016 5:31 PM
Posted by mullycj on 6/24/2016 11:47:00 AM (view original):
You consider that long to get to the top division in the HD food chain???

Let me guess, you are under 30 right? The instant gratification generation? No offense but that is what's wrong with this game.
1) Coaches rush up divisions without fully understanding the game
2) Coach finally get to DI without adequate experience
3) Coach gets his *** handed to him by more experienced/higher prestige schools
4) Coach blames prestige "system" and cries to Seble because its not fair
5) Seble crumbles to the masses of Spuds in entitlement land and dumbs down the game so that even the uneducated have a shot at success.

(Don't take this personally Mr Kid, just venting about the whiners like Spud who want to blame the "system" for the haves and have-nots. Sort of sounds like our government.)
Let me guess....you think "Cheeto Jesus" is the answer to all of our prayers.

Pfff
7/3/2016 8:47 PM
So the consensus is 4-5 good DII seasons to make the jump? I only ask because my only interest in HD 3.0 is to play with my alma mater (UT-Arlington), and I was hoping it wouldn't take much to get to them since they're a very low level DI job. Yes, I know I should "stay at DII at learn the ropes" and "be patient", but my end goal is to make UTA a contender, and I assume that's a lengthy rebuild regardless of division. These complaints about the impatience shown by people paying to play this game seem a little ridiculous to me.
11/8/2016 11:53 AM (edited)
Haven't even looked at my team. 3.0 is terrible. Back to just hardball!
11/8/2016 11:50 AM
Not sure if the requirements for D1 have changed in 3.0, but I had D- and D job offers after back-to-back NTs at D2.
11/8/2016 11:53 AM
Posted by mbriese on 11/8/2016 11:53:00 AM (view original):
So the consensus is 4-5 good DII seasons to make the jump? I only ask because my only interest in HD 3.0 is to play with my alma mater (UT-Arlington), and I was hoping it wouldn't take much to get to them since they're a very low level DI job. Yes, I know I should "stay at DII at learn the ropes" and "be patient", but my end goal is to make UTA a contender, and I assume that's a lengthy rebuild regardless of division. These complaints about the impatience shown by people paying to play this game seem a little ridiculous to me.
5 good seasons at D2 should do it, as it stands now. They are saying the job logic may change at some point, but no clues as to how or when.
11/8/2016 11:55 AM
Awesome, thanks guys!
11/8/2016 12:01 PM
so tired of the political and generational discord stuff on here. come on, folks. can we stop with this??

that said, some people are attracted to this game bc of march madness and it's totally understandable they want to play as the teams they are familiar with. why is this such a crazy thing to understand? it's a game, it shouldn't be a slog if you aren't interested in playing at D2/D3 for months and months.
11/8/2016 2:27 PM
◂ Prev 12
D1 Requirements Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.