No Whining Progressive 1996 - Need Just 2 Owners! Topic

**Update, our draft has started of the clock, but the two open teams are still available if interested**

We have 2 available teams in the No Whining Progressive. This is one of the hallmark progressives on WhatifSports, formerly run by site Hall of Famer contrarian23. Contrarian has taken a sabbatical from WIS, and I have agreed to take the league over. Unfortunately, some of our other owners have decided to leave as well, but we still have a VERY strong group of remaining owners and this is a great league.

The most unique thing about the No Whining Progressive is that we use a completely random draft order each season. As it is a 24 team league, our 16 non-playoff teams are randomized for the top 16 picks of Round 1, and then the playoff teams are randomized for picks 17-24. Then, for the 2nd Round, if a team secures the 1st overall pick in Round 1, the team picks 16th in round 2 and all subsequent rounds (and the team that picks 16th in Round 1 picks 1st in Round 2 and all subsequent rounds). Likewise, if a team picks 17th in Round 1, this team will pick 24th in Round 2 and all subsequent rounds.

What this draft style really does it not penalize a team that wants to go for it. It is still possible to rebuild, mostly through trades and long-term draft picks, but you don't usually see teams that completely gut their roster for 5 seasons to get high draft picks. There's nothing wrong with the other way of rebuilding (I've done it myself), but in this league, that is not necessary. Yes, luck plays a role in this league, but astute drafters are able to find value at almost any draft position in the first few rounds.

This is a 24 team league, DH in AL only, with a 10 player (5 round) AAA draft after every regular draft. NL teams must play in real NL parks, and AL teams must play in real AL parks. There is no salary cap, no waiver wire, no live play permitted, and no injuries.

I will list below the teams that are available. Please post here or sitemail if you have interest.
8/17/2016 2:20 PM (edited)
New York - NL East - Plays in Shea Stadium through 2008 - No DH - 3rd pick in 1st round of 1996 Draft

Potential Keepers

C Ron Karkovice
C Jesse Levis
C Mike Stanley
1B Tony Clark
1B Wally Joyner
2B Craig Biggio
3B Gary Gaetti
SS Cal Ripken
OF Ruben Amaro
OF Jeff Conine
OF Bernard Gilkey
OF Tim Raines
OF Reggie Sanders
OF Devon White

P Omar Daal
P Jerry DiPoto
P Dwight Gooden
P Jason Grimsley
P Danny Jackson
P Mark Langston
P Mike Mohler
P Jeff Nelson
P Darren Oliver
P Paul Quantrill
P Brad Radke
P Greg Swindell
P Mike Timlin
P John Wetteland
7/17/2016 4:44 PM (edited)
Houston - NL West - Plays in Astrodome through 1999 - No DH - Traded First Round Pick in 1996

*Note, because the first round pick was traded, former owner (and commish) has agreed to send a free team to the new owner of this franchise only)

Potential Keepers

C Sandy Alomar
C Tom Lampkin
C Tom Prince
C Lenny Webster
1B John Olerud
2B Eric Young
3B Scott Brosius
3B Charlie Hayes
3B Chris Sabo
SS Mike Benjamin
SS Mike Bordick
OF Rich Amaral
OF Damon Buford
OF Jay Buhner
OF Midre Cummings
OF Glenallen Hill
OF Mark Smith
OF Michael Tucker

P Andy Benes
P Jeff Brantley
P Tim Davis
P Doug Drabek
P Joey Hamilton
P Doug Jones
P Todd Jones
P Dan Plesac
P Bill Risley
P Mark Thompson
P Bob Wickman

Injured Reserve

C Todd Pratt (1997)
P Jason Bere (1998)
P Rudy Seanez (1998)
7/17/2016 4:43 PM
Re: the free team for whoever takes Houston...the new owner should please sitemail me...I will not be checking this site regularly.
7/17/2016 5:45 PM
I will take Cincinnati
7/17/2016 6:33 PM
CardsBlues has agreed to take over Seattle.
7/17/2016 7:03 PM
coachgreat1 - sent you a sitemail.
7/31/2016 8:07 PM
Los Angeles has been claimed.
8/1/2016 3:05 AM
Oakland has been claimed.
8/4/2016 12:25 AM
If anyone is thinking about joining, the Milwaukee club keepers are very, very strong.
8/4/2016 4:53 PM
I'll take the Milwaukee club
8/17/2016 9:18 AM
I babysat the Houston team through the draft. This team won't be awful in 1996 -- enough PA and IP and a $66M salary plus some okay players from the draft-your-own AAA. And as mentioned above, you'll be sent a free team from the previous owner for taking over.

We'll have a schedule soon. Who wants a free team from opening day?
9/9/2016 5:22 PM
No Whining Progressive 1996 - Need Just 2 Owners! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.