pitchers velocity? Topic

Pitchers velocity at what point does it matter? We all understand the falling velocity and its significance but at what point does the lack of velocity over ride the rest of the numbers? Or does it? The current draft class has some pretty low numbers in this area matched with killer stats every where else thus the question.
7/26/2016 5:48 AM
Velocity is a secondary rating. It affects only the type of outs your pitcher will be getting (strikeouts versus outs in play), not the frequency of getting those outs. So a lower velocity will have only a negligible impact on the pitcher's performance.
7/26/2016 7:05 AM
Understood but...if a pitcher has a extremely low velocity and a strong tendency to throw fly balls those hits should turn out to be home runs vs ground ball outs or singles /doubles. At some point you have to think velocity matters, just where 17, 27,47,67 and of course in the ends stages of a career with it falling you know that it has a major impact as it has got to be better to have a SP lose 3 points at 91 vs 31.
7/31/2016 7:30 AM
I don't think the code is quite that complicated under the covers. I have no reason to believe that there's any correlation between velocity and any other rating. It's just what kind of out you're getting (a strikeout, or an out in play).
7/31/2016 7:57 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/31/2016 7:57:00 AM (view original):
I don't think the code is quite that complicated under the covers. I have no reason to believe that there's any correlation between velocity and any other rating. It's just what kind of out you're getting (a strikeout, or an out in play).
And as we know from BL, that doesn't matter.
7/31/2016 7:49 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/31/2016 7:57:00 AM (view original):
Has it been proven, then, that an out is an out is an out? As in, if the pitcher isn't getting the strikeout, can the ball that's being put in play be muffed by the fielder?
8/1/2016 2:58 PM
pitchers velocity? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.