Roster Selection Strategies Topic

"I briefly entertained using the 642 IP Lady Baldwin, but I wasn't convinced that he could get anyone out at this level. I'd be interested in seeing if anyone else tried him."

KMJK4 is the only person to use the 642-IP version of Lady Baldwin. He's being used as a reliever. In 12 games (29.2 innings), Baldwin is 0-3 with a 1.85 whip and 6.07 ERA.
8/7/2016 1:21 PM (edited)
So far I have read all of these. Lots of good insight and a variety of strategies. For example...

- I hadn't even considered 2015 teams for the 80M league because I figured there'd be no way to make the top pitcher salaries fit. After learning I was wrong, I realized I should have at least checked and now think I'm in trouble.
- Also didn't think of a high AVG/speed team for the 140M league, but am now very interested to see if anyone could get it to work well enough for a playoff spot. How much salary is the right amount to waste on cheap K and HR guys?
- Utilizing L/R and/or park matchups for the 255M league is interesting. I thought of that but didn't build a team with it in mind due to how successful the Municipal Stadium strategy generally is. Was that a mistake?
8/7/2016 1:24 PM
70m
I don't know what to say about this except that I tried to pick vaguely reasonable players.

80m
Basically I searched the spreadsheet for years/franchises with reasonable pitching staffs (e.g., sorted the teams by the number of innings with #ERC < 2.8). There were few standouts, some kind of mid 60s dodgers but the offense was a bit rubbish, and then the 81 astros looking like probably the best option. The offense seemed ok but this was because I screwed it up and included some joint seasons in my first attempt. I was super greedy and went with mike schmidt as one of my additions, and then tried to basically shoehorn it around schmidt + the killer pitching staff. In hindsight it would have been reasonable to consider also potential wildcard pitchers and open up possible teams with less contrived offenses...

100m
I did the same thing as with 80m, searching the spreadsheet for candidate good quality pitching staffs (but with tighter criteria given that this theme is a whole lot more flexible). The 79--81 yankees were the clear standout here. And they seemed to have a workable offense to go with that.

110m
I had grand plans for this team, I was planning to do something really clever with picking the perfect team given that it isn't really computationally feasible to brute force. But alas I was lazy and left it to the last minute, so I ended up just going with the easiest/most obvious option. The 98--2015 dodgers. I assume that the franchise soup would produce better teams but I'm not really upset with what I ended up with.

140m
This seems like a theme that has a correct solution, I just don't know what it is. So I just tried to produce a reasonable team. Overall I think I went with too many innings and as such quality suffered. I think the last time I joined the wisc I also concluded that I had been too conservative (with quality vs innings), but somewhere along the way I forgot this.

255m
Again I think there is a correct strat here, I just don't have any idea what it is. So I gambled by prioritising hitters. And in hindsight I don't think I did that well, I took Ruth-Bonds-Mantle but probably should have taken Ruth-Bonds-Foxx-Cobb. And then of the pitchers I took I made stupid decisions (Sandy Koufax!). This team is a disaster.

8/7/2016 8:24 PM
Posted by schwarze on 8/7/2016 1:21:00 PM (view original):
"I briefly entertained using the 642 IP Lady Baldwin, but I wasn't convinced that he could get anyone out at this level. I'd be interested in seeing if anyone else tried him."

KMJK4 is the only person to use the 642-IP version of Lady Baldwin. He's being used as a reliever. In 12 games (29.2 innings), Baldwin is 0-3 with a 1.85 whip and 6.07 ERA.
So, in other words, better than my Randy Johnson. Ugh.
8/8/2016 7:26 AM
Posted by fooolishfool on 8/7/2016 8:24:00 PM (view original):
70m
I don't know what to say about this except that I tried to pick vaguely reasonable players.

80m
Basically I searched the spreadsheet for years/franchises with reasonable pitching staffs (e.g., sorted the teams by the number of innings with #ERC < 2.8). There were few standouts, some kind of mid 60s dodgers but the offense was a bit rubbish, and then the 81 astros looking like probably the best option. The offense seemed ok but this was because I screwed it up and included some joint seasons in my first attempt. I was super greedy and went with mike schmidt as one of my additions, and then tried to basically shoehorn it around schmidt + the killer pitching staff. In hindsight it would have been reasonable to consider also potential wildcard pitchers and open up possible teams with less contrived offenses...

100m
I did the same thing as with 80m, searching the spreadsheet for candidate good quality pitching staffs (but with tighter criteria given that this theme is a whole lot more flexible). The 79--81 yankees were the clear standout here. And they seemed to have a workable offense to go with that.

110m
I had grand plans for this team, I was planning to do something really clever with picking the perfect team given that it isn't really computationally feasible to brute force. But alas I was lazy and left it to the last minute, so I ended up just going with the easiest/most obvious option. The 98--2015 dodgers. I assume that the franchise soup would produce better teams but I'm not really upset with what I ended up with.

140m
This seems like a theme that has a correct solution, I just don't know what it is. So I just tried to produce a reasonable team. Overall I think I went with too many innings and as such quality suffered. I think the last time I joined the wisc I also concluded that I had been too conservative (with quality vs innings), but somewhere along the way I forgot this.

255m
Again I think there is a correct strat here, I just don't have any idea what it is. So I gambled by prioritising hitters. And in hindsight I don't think I did that well, I took Ruth-Bonds-Mantle but probably should have taken Ruth-Bonds-Foxx-Cobb. And then of the pitchers I took I made stupid decisions (Sandy Koufax!). This team is a disaster.

I am wondering if the correct strategy for the 140 was just to draft a bunch of low-K pitchers, WHIPs be damned but can keep the ball in the park a little bit. Like Garland Braxton, Roger Wolff, Monty Stratton. That would give you an extra 10mil (?) to spend on even better offense.

Oh and draft more innings than I did.

Did anyone do that? I can't remember.
8/8/2016 10:19 AM
11 of the 24 who advanced to round 2 posted in this thread. Probably worth re-reading.
10/5/2016 10:04 AM
◂ Prev 123
Roster Selection Strategies Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.