Primary and Secondary Ratings Topic

What are the notable primary and secondary ratings for hitters and Pitching?
8/14/2016 10:55 PM
The best way to get familiar with how ratings affect performance is looking at historical data of the players in your league. When making decisions on who to draft, sign, trade, extend, decline, etc., I'm constantly looking at the ratings of comparable players in my leagues and what kind of production those ratings produce. I also look through HOF players and their career #'s vs. their ratings to learn how to spot elite level talent.

But to answer your question:

Hitters Primary: CON PWR VLH VRH EYE

VRH is #1. But various combinations of those attributes can lead to a successful hitter.

I don't pay too much attention to the others. Base-running and speed are nice, especially for high OBP guys, but not essential. OTOH really low speed means more GIDP and fewer infield hits. I don't place any weight on bunting and push/pull. I'd be open to others owners' opinions on them but I've never seen anyone else put much weight into them either.

Pitching Primary: CON, VLH, VRH, P1, P2
Secondary: VEL, GB/FB, Secondary pitches

Again, VRH is #1

8/15/2016 3:34 AM
Also worth mentioning, while it's not a rating, a switch hitter is worth an extra 5 - 10 VRH/VLH ratings due to always getting the better matchup (unless the pitcher has wonky splits).

@bripat - I've got a similar player but at SS Player Profile: Wascar Aguilera - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports. Not quite as good of a bat but after one more season of development he should be the best defensive SS in the league for the next 10 years or so.
8/15/2016 1:23 PM
.810 career OPS isn't all that great. It's good for a 2B but, if that VR had been 62, I bet he's in the HOF.

Anyway, there is no "most important" rating. Here's what they do:
Contact-put the ball in play(not strikeout)
Power-extra base hits of all kinds
VR/VL-effectiveness against pitcher handedness. You'll face 60-65% RH so take that for what it's worth
Eye-drawing walks

And, if you have a team that steals, you better pay attention to BR/Speed. I pay no attention to bunt but, if you have a fast guy, maybe you should. I pay almost as much attention to push/pull but, if I were in different parks, I just might.
8/15/2016 1:34 PM
True. I stopped caring about MG's HOF when the assclowns wouldn't elect Player Profile: Jamey Cambridge - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports

He was easily the best 2B in MG. But he didn't have 700 homers so he couldn't get elected. Bunch of dumbasses.
8/15/2016 2:43 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/15/2016 2:43:00 PM (view original):
True. I stopped caring about MG's HOF when the assclowns wouldn't elect Player Profile: Jamey Cambridge - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports

He was easily the best 2B in MG. But he didn't have 700 homers so he couldn't get elected. Bunch of dumbasses.
8/15/2016 2:50 PM
Head Dumbass in da house!!!
8/15/2016 2:56 PM
I know that HBD puts almost too much emphasis on defense when doing the awards, but I still try to vote a lot on stats but still some one awards. Unless his stats are ridiculous, I would have a hard time voting for someone who never won an MVP and only couple all star games. That's just my thinking in this game and in real life.
8/15/2016 3:30 PM
Here's the thing. The defensive wiz-types will never make a HOF. No one pays for great D. IWO, that 90 across board SS has a 4-5 year career if he has an OPS of .650. A lot of owners sacrifice D everywhere or everywhere but SS/CF. So, quite often, you have half a dozen 2B who crush it but can't pick it up until it stops rolling. They play in A/S games. When fatigue is an issue, I usually have D-spec play the tough positions and guys like Cambridge move down the fielding ladder. So, because he didn't play ALL his games at 2B, he can't make A/S games.

Finally, every world has a "best" at each position during an era. JC was the best 2B in the first 15 years of MG. Guess how many SS/2B are in MG's HOF.
8/15/2016 3:38 PM
Going back to the hitter with the vsR of 32... no surprise, I think that even though we all say vsR is the number 1 rating for both hitters and pitchers, we've all seen hitters with good enough other ratings to overcome or offset poor vsR.

Can't be but a handful of pitchers ever, across all worlds, with good enough other ratings to offset anything like a 32 vsR. I suspect few owners would even give pitchers like that a shot at the majors.

8/15/2016 4:13 PM
I'm still relatively new but I'm finding I underestimated the value of elite D. One of my teams was in a transition year last season. First wave of prospects getting call-ups. Pitching staff full of middle and back end 1-arb guys. 2B/SS/CF full of RuleV SS's with sub .300 OBP. Very little power in the lineup, a bunch of slap hitters. Had the top defense in the league that turned 50 more DP's (10%) than the next closest team. One spot out of the playoffs for a team I thought would be hard pressed to crack 70-80 wins. As an added bonus, it made my pitchers look more attractive to less discerning eyes when I traded a few of them at the beginning of this season.
8/15/2016 4:32 PM (edited)
Primary and Secondary Ratings Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.