$52 Million LV Draft Commentary Topic

copernicus - DeAndre Jordan -- Draymond Green -- Chris Webber -- Rajon Rondo -- Chris Mullin -- Paul Westphal -- Arvydas Sabonis

I don't think that I was able to figure out what you were doing at first. If you are playing Webber at center with Sabonis as the back up I like that. Webber is a bit weak as a rebounder at C or PF but he's 100% at those spots. Green at SF is weak at the offensive rebounding and if he get's backed up by Mullin for about 13 mpg that's a weak rebounding position for the team overall. The Rondo/Mullin backcourt is interesting. I love Rondo's assists and his really good rebounding but dislike his 3's. Mullin doesn't take many 3's and turns the ball over a lot. His defense is passable next to Rondo. Westphal will score some points and get some assists. So I like certain parts of the team but don't think that it has enough rebounding to dominate in this league. As far as details go DeAndre and Webber miss a ton of free throws and the offensive rebounding other tham Jordan's is weak.
8/25/2016 10:07 PM
Posted by copernicus on 8/22/2016 10:15:00 AM (view original):
Name Team Pos Usage% 2pt%# 3pt%# eFG% OReb% DReb% Ast% Stl% Blk%
DeAndre Jordan 14-15 Clippers C 13.6 71.1 25.0 71.1 15.4 30.8 2.6 1.3 3.8
Chris Webber 96-97 Bullets PF 24.6 53.4 39.5 54.3 9.7 19.7 14.6 2.0 2.9
Draymond Green 15-16 Warriors PF 18.8 53.3 38.7 55.1 5.2 21.7 24.3 1.8 2.2
Chris Mullin 89-90 Warriors SF 24.8 57.0 37.5 57.0 4.9 11.3 12.7 1.7 0.8
Rajon Rondo 15-16 Kings PG 18.8 47.5 36.4 49.4 3.2 14.5 39.9 2.4 0.2
Paul Westphal 78-79 Suns SG 27.8 55.4 34.8 55.5 1.4 4.8 20.6 1.6 0.5
Arvydas Sabonis 95-96 Trail Blazers C 25.5 57.1 37.2 57.2 9.3 27.2 9.8 1.7 2.7
here you go - Westphal backs up Rondo/Mullin as 3rd guard (couple of minutes to spare but that's it - Mullin probably spends next to no time at SF), Sabonis and Jordan split center, DeAndre moves over for some PF duty behind Webber (plus about 7 minutes of undrafted dudes), undrafted help fills in behind Draymond at the 3

38/98 on the boards for the starting 5 (not to mention about 94%as which who knows what that will do) - plus check out the efg

Mullin does shoot some threes (234 of them) but you're right, not a ton (and it's only 4.1 TOs per48 - I will have some TO issues but it wont be his fault) but everyone else (including Webber and Sabonis) shoots at least a few treys except DeAndre

what I actually think are the weaknesses of the this team are turnovers and fouls + some slight shade from the individual (but not team) usage penalty +/- Scott wants me dead
8/25/2016 10:46 PM (edited)
Someone want to do another evaluation on me?

I have a guy between 4.6-5 million coming off the bench. So I think it's tough to evaluate fully. Guy can play up to 24 usable mpg and is 100% at three positions. I won't say any more.
8/25/2016 10:55 PM (edited)
what's the subtitle of round 6 commentary? (anyway it turns out that 'only slightly sucky' is actually a decent review if you take time to look at what other people got)
8/25/2016 11:05 PM
if you want another evaluation, i might not be your guy. if you want a different perspective, i seem to be your guy. let the guy whose team was rated worst in the league by two owners take a crack at it:

Kareem, Porter, Ant-Man, Burn Ward, Iblocka, Korver, C-Max

Kareem and Porter is a very nice start. I'm not really a fan of drafting guys between 20 and 22 Usg% with less than 2800 minutes. Inevitably, you're going to fill the backup minutes with guys like Kenny Anderson, Jrue Holiday, Beno Udrih, Cory Alexander, Jameer Nelson or Earl Watson (those being the best backups in that range). Fine, but so does everybody. You may not even get players that are that good if you have a really talented front court, but whatever. Porter's great player. (he's no Barros, though. jk)

Ant-Man was a very solid pick. Kareem's worth $11-12M, Davis is worth $7 or 8M. Average those out, and they're worth $8 or 9M on average, and are excellent scorers for the money. Don't know which C-Max season you're using, but you'll likely use him as a high efficiency forward backup, which gives you a very efficient and defensive front court. Rebounding may suffer. I would like 70-71 Kareem for this team, but I understand the argument for 71-72. The scoring volume is hard to resist. You can have Davis backup Kareem, or you can even have Kareem defend out of position and have Davis defend centers. I think it's a huge advantage to have a guy playing center with very low fouls like Davis, because so many of the best scorers are centers, and derive their scoring output from getting to the line.

Believe it or not, I think you may have problems with scoring. In a way, your team isn't unlike my team. I picked Yao because when Kobe was off the floor, I wanted Penny and Yao. When Penny was off the floor, I wanted Kobe and Yao, and when Yao was off the floor, I wanted Kobe and Penny. I wanted the usage and scoring. Sure, I could've picked Buck or Emeka, but for the 11 minutes that Penny was off the floor, nearly all of the scoring responsibility would've been on Kobe. That was what I wanted to avoid. I wanted high efficiency field goals.

You have the problem I tried to avoid. If I remember correctly, 14-15 Davis plays 28 minutes, which isn't a lot. For the other 18 minutes that Kareem is on the floor, you'll be relying on him to carry the offense. That's great, but I always preferred two guys to score. I might've wanted a guy like 23 Usg% Chris Mullin or Sidney Moncrief or Rudy Tomjanovich to fill in the blanks. Instead you went with a Ward/Porter combo. It's light on scoring. Sure, the usage technically fits, and sure, the assist percentage is wonderful. Put Ibaka, another reluctant scorer, in the mix, and you may have trouble making it to 115 pts. (I forget that you don't like up-tempo, for a reason I don't quite understand, but I don't think that'll make a difference. You may get outscored without options).

Ibaka's rebounding and blocks make your life easier, but I think that even with 14-15 Ibaka or whatever C-Max you're using, you'll be light on 3's. 220 from Ward and Porter + 40 (or 0, if you're not using that season) from Ibaka + 30 or 40 from C Max + some from your back up guards = closer to 300? you might be a bit light. factor in the fact that Ward will be passing more than he shoots, and you might get even less.

Though your defense and efficiency are on point, you don't have the best rebounding or scoring team (unless you use 70-71 Kareem. Then you have a decent rebounding team.....maybe still a little below average, given Davis's 7/22.7 Reb% numbers). You probably don't have enough shooting or scoring.

Outlook: skeptical, but what do I know? Apparently I have the worst team.

Update: I've learned of beachhouse's top secret plans which I won't disclose. They add some scoring at a decently efficient rate for 1900+ minutes. Cool. I like the first idea you mentioned to some extent (could've used that opportunity to address shooting and sacrifice D, on which you're pretty solid, but it is a very nice season). I don't know if it's what I would do, or that it's enough, but it addresses my concerns directly. Hopefully it is enough.

Update 2: DUH! I forgot about Korver. You'll be fine in the 3 pt category. Unfortunately, his usage is rather low. I do think that sort of thing will be your main problem, although Korver's obscene efficiency will help some. I really think it's a matter of usage. I could see it more since I've read your sitemail and seen Korver. You may very well have a playoff team, but you might be well served going with up tempo! I don't understand your aversion to it. It'll definitely help Kareem get his well-deserved FGA's.
8/26/2016 12:44 AM (edited)
Too long
8/26/2016 12:17 AM
Also, are we naming undrafted players before the league fills?
8/26/2016 12:17 AM
The draft is over, so bite me.
8/26/2016 12:20 AM
Doesn't matter. dh has already had someone else delete their post containing names of drafted players.
8/26/2016 12:51 AM
Posted by dh555 on 8/23/2016 5:49:00 PM (view original):
ehh...delete and only post your 7 drafted please
^^^^^^^
8/26/2016 12:52 AM
Just another example of your comprehension abilities.
8/26/2016 12:53 AM
see, it's easy to say whatever you want when you're not being honest.

the purpose of the whole not mentioning undrafted players crap (which i still don't agree with), so i understand it, is that you have to remember a player in order to draft that player, without reminding someone who doesn't remember that player. fine, but now we're in a situation where we can pick anyone else we want, and likely can't draft enough salary post-draft to get two of the guys i mentioned, anyway. also, those who don't remember couldn't prevent those who do remember from drafting one of those player, since all remaining players are available to everyone.

so it turns out your comprehension skills need work.

Outlook: kind of like your beloved Portland Trail Blazers the day after they drafted Greg Oden
8/26/2016 1:12 AM (edited)
Posted by slymonium on 8/26/2016 12:52:00 AM (view original):
Posted by dh555 on 8/23/2016 5:49:00 PM (view original):
ehh...delete and only post your 7 drafted please
^^^^^^^
^^^^
8/26/2016 2:05 AM
You guys are like free reality TV I love it
8/26/2016 2:33 AM
I was going to point out the 'will they or wont they' vibe reminiscent of Dave and Maddie
8/26/2016 10:55 AM
◂ Prev 1...16|17|18|19 Next ▸
$52 Million LV Draft Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.