Posted by vandydave on 9/9/2016 4:35:00 PM (view original):
In beta the prestiges were bizarrely seemingly set at random - making observations about current beta teams very difficult to compare to actual world gameplay. Same with recruiting results - almost like the deck was stacked in beta toward the goal of a greater appearance of parity.

I also find juxtaposing coaching as game-planning seemingly excluding recruiting as not part of coaching to be problematic. Being a real life coach involves both of the above, and if you can only do one well then you can be a good but not great coach.
vandy, I agree, about real life and recruiting / strategy both being important. IMO you could have endless debates about real life placing value on both, but suffice it to say, both are important. But, it - i.e. the balance in HD 2.0 - had been out of whack the last few years, I think the new 3.0 game will bring the two things, recruiting and strategy back in sync. My opinion only.

Not sure how to respond to the beta comments you made. You could be right. I can only evaluate what the results were, and using what I saw, make the observations I made. I agree, they all have to be taken with a grain of salt.

My post was simply to imply that if you are a top coach, you probably have very little to fear in the new 3.0 game, competitively, you probably will have just as big of an edge as ever. I tried to give reasons and examples, rather than just make stuff up.
9/9/2016 4:52 PM
OR - I always respect your posts, you have always been thoughtful and one of the good guys, which arguably I've not always been as I simply can't seem to let inane comments go from people who can't see multiple viewpoints without responding in kind (never yours), if I don't cross paths with you again as I fade from HD I wish you the very best, thanks for all you've done with and for HD.
9/9/2016 4:58 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by gillispie1 on 9/9/2016 12:30:00 PM (view original):
emy - you are taking the matter much more seriously than me. i dropped my last personal team and am in full DGAF mode. obviously, misspelling there can't explode your head.. well, i thought it was obvious, apparently i was mistaken.

taniajane - your 2nd to last paragraph is way off. the whole numbering scheme makes no sense, why is today's HD 2.0, i don't know. what is 1.0? anyway, today's version (or a month's ago depending on your world) was where seble rewrote the engine sim engine because he couldn't code in the language old admin wrote in - not 3.0. also, fox did not buy the software - they bought the company. the kinds of things you are talking about getting as guarantees, that is not the norm when you buy a company. sometimes the founder will be required to stay on to assist with the transition, maybe a couple key people, but that's it - and tarek stayed around for over 5 years. its not uncommon to have developers who code in different languages (most developers can code capably in at least a few), and to have different software written in the company use different languages, and to slowly transition various components from one language to another, based on what is deemed most practical going forward. in short, what you are describing as extraordinary is actually extremely common in software companies.
I'm not taking the matter seriously at all. In fact, "you" were the one that mentioned "me" not responding for several days. It's almost like you were disappointed your little shtick didn't receive the necessary attention that you had hoped it would. Like I said earlier, it was patently obvious what you were trying to do, why respond to it at all?
9/9/2016 11:55 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 9/4/2016 1:14:00 PM (view original):
their are some coaches in here talking about how its getting harder for rookies to learn, and i think they're right. over time, IMO, it's gotten harder and harder to learn the recruiting side of the game. of course, coaches come in loosing in game planning and team setup, and will be loosing in recruiting for a little while. but when i started, i feel i was only stabbing blindly for the first season, because it was easy to catch on listening to guys on the forums. there advice was to focus on the cores, listing a few per position - and i could see those numbers at face value, for every player. as long as low work ethic was avoided, you could pick fairly decent players to target for season 2.

when FSS came on, it did lower the pool of recruits, but you had to get the basics of scouting, and how the potential growth system worked, to be able to compare players. they're are coaches who recruit without scouting but that is obviously a loosing strategy. before, 50 ath was 50 ath, and i knew my bigs needed ath, it was pretty simple. now, the coach has to take on achieving basic proficiency in managing scouting expenditures, and has to be thinking about, well is that 40 ath blue better than 55 ath red, do i need a guy to play today or is he going to be a backup until junior year, and so on. when i thought about new coaches, i thought, their are screwed, no way i'd be ready and equipped to select reasonable targets by season 2.

with all this new stuff, it seems there just that much worse off, they'l be loosing in recruiting for so long it's going to be like, most new coaches will have to abandon their teams to take over a fresh, sim-run team, because there team is just so wrecked. not only is all of the potential stuff that complicated the game still in place, but their is more. what got simpler? dropdowns? pulldowns? coaches didn't need that to have a basically competent recruiting season 2. now they have to figure out all these scouting levels, camps, understand what players are even in range to target, understand a more diverse set of tools and restrictions as far as raw mechanics are concerned... i just don't see how new coaches are going to have a chance. there gonna be screwed.
Here, just because......touche, ya really got me there Gill! Well played sir!!

Feel better now?
9/9/2016 11:58 PM
Posted by CoachSpud on 9/9/2016 11:58:00 PM (view original):
You're all class, emy, all class.
My goodness, coming from someone as esteemed as you are Spud, that might be the most tear jerking comment I've ever had directed at me. Thank you so much Spud, thank you!
9/9/2016 11:59 PM
I'm curious though, why do you insist on responding to what you keep claiming is "background noise"? Oh, oh, I know! Because you're nothing but a fraud who is afraid to reveal his alternate ID's and can't help himself.....

In the mean time......**** off playa
9/10/2016 12:06 AM (edited)
Posted by emy1013 on 9/9/2016 10:28:00 AM (view original):
No, I just don't give a **** about this game anymore. I rarely even visit the site despite having a team in the D2 Iba title game. I'm so ****** off with this crap that I didn't even bother gameplanning or making a single change to my settings for the first 3 rounds of that tournament.

So don't flatter yourself sweetheart. It was pretty obvious that you were doing that intentionally why is why I didn't bother dignifying it with a response, especially since Benis called it all out anyway.
Are you referring to spud? When I informed him that everyone thinks he's a joke but he continues to believe hes saving us or something? Ha.
9/10/2016 12:07 AM
Posted by taniajane on 9/9/2016 12:42:00 PM (view original):
Gee Gillespie this sure clears it up "...was where seble rewrote the engine sim engine because he couldn't code in the language old admin wrote in .." Yet "sometimes the founder will be required to stay on to assist with the transition, maybe a couple key people, but that's it - and tarek stayed around for over 5 years. its not uncommon to have developers who code in different languages (most developers can code capably in at least a few)---"

So do we have a case of a Very Slow Learner that in Five years can not learn the code? Tell me again how this is "actually extremely common in software companies." Sorry perhaps it is "Common" for you but not for any intelligent and diligent programmer. Not buying that load of garbage as an excuse or an example of a programmer that has 5 years to learn with the previous and original writer and just "could not understand it".
seble was not the HD programmer when tarek was still there - he was assigned to HD after tarek was fired. WIS management is responsible for not cross training, for using those 5+ years to prepare for the founder leaving, not seble. its obviously you don't know anything about software development, or the history of HD - and that's fine - but why act like you do?
9/10/2016 3:52 AM
Posted by emy1013 on 9/9/2016 11:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gillispie1 on 9/9/2016 12:30:00 PM (view original):
emy - you are taking the matter much more seriously than me. i dropped my last personal team and am in full DGAF mode. obviously, misspelling there can't explode your head.. well, i thought it was obvious, apparently i was mistaken.

taniajane - your 2nd to last paragraph is way off. the whole numbering scheme makes no sense, why is today's HD 2.0, i don't know. what is 1.0? anyway, today's version (or a month's ago depending on your world) was where seble rewrote the engine sim engine because he couldn't code in the language old admin wrote in - not 3.0. also, fox did not buy the software - they bought the company. the kinds of things you are talking about getting as guarantees, that is not the norm when you buy a company. sometimes the founder will be required to stay on to assist with the transition, maybe a couple key people, but that's it - and tarek stayed around for over 5 years. its not uncommon to have developers who code in different languages (most developers can code capably in at least a few), and to have different software written in the company use different languages, and to slowly transition various components from one language to another, based on what is deemed most practical going forward. in short, what you are describing as extraordinary is actually extremely common in software companies.
I'm not taking the matter seriously at all. In fact, "you" were the one that mentioned "me" not responding for several days. It's almost like you were disappointed your little shtick didn't receive the necessary attention that you had hoped it would. Like I said earlier, it was patently obvious what you were trying to do, why respond to it at all?
its pretty obvious everything i said was made humorously (regardless of the success therein). well, that's not quite true, the post in question attempted to make a legitimate point.

you - "No, I just don't give a **** about this game anymore. I rarely even visit the site despite having a team in the D2 Iba title game. I'm so ****** off with this crap that I didn't even bother gameplanning or making a single change to my settings for the first 3 rounds of that tournament.

So don't flatter yourself sweetheart. It was pretty obvious that you were doing that intentionally why is why I didn't bother dignifying it with a response, especially since Benis called it all out anyway."

ok, so maybe you aren't being serious, maybe you are just being a dick. i thought my post was pretty obvious too - exceedingly so - did not expect to have to explain myself on that front, but i thought i did so fairly succinctly after the fact. had nothing to do with you at that point. the first post did, obviously - you've been carrying on for months and that was my (extremely) minor form of protest - but that was it.
9/10/2016 4:36 AM
Posted by gillispie1 on 9/10/2016 3:52:00 AM (view original):
Posted by taniajane on 9/9/2016 12:42:00 PM (view original):
Gee Gillespie this sure clears it up "...was where seble rewrote the engine sim engine because he couldn't code in the language old admin wrote in .." Yet "sometimes the founder will be required to stay on to assist with the transition, maybe a couple key people, but that's it - and tarek stayed around for over 5 years. its not uncommon to have developers who code in different languages (most developers can code capably in at least a few)---"

So do we have a case of a Very Slow Learner that in Five years can not learn the code? Tell me again how this is "actually extremely common in software companies." Sorry perhaps it is "Common" for you but not for any intelligent and diligent programmer. Not buying that load of garbage as an excuse or an example of a programmer that has 5 years to learn with the previous and original writer and just "could not understand it".
seble was not the HD programmer when tarek was still there - he was assigned to HD after tarek was fired. WIS management is responsible for not cross training, for using those 5+ years to prepare for the founder leaving, not seble. its obviously you don't know anything about software development, or the history of HD - and that's fine - but why act like you do?
Obviously I don't have your Inside Information...amazing certain Customers do. So with your connections you are saying the other posters are dead wrong when they claim Tarek was not there, NOW 5 Plus Years? And Tarek was "Fired" (the man that sold the product) and never, obviously because of WIS mis-management, was tasked with cross training other employees or writing any form of manual to modify or read this secret code,so they just thru Seble into the job that he was unqualified for?

Gee, that is quite a Story.
9/10/2016 5:52 AM
Tarek sold the company and some time after was completely unexpectedly was let go and was really wounded by that, I don't recall the time period he was here after the sale but it sure felt much much shorter than 5 years.
9/10/2016 8:06 AM
That's not how I remember it Dave.

Tarek left on his own to start another venture. I golfed with him soon after and he actually spoke highly of Seble. But that was a LONG lime ago.
9/10/2016 9:20 AM
Yeah what I'm basically saying is he sold to Fox with the understanding he would continue to run the company, that quickly wasn't the case. I have no awareness of his relationship to the current admin, more speaking to my impression of the overall process and timeline.
9/10/2016 9:59 AM
Posted by vandydave on 9/10/2016 8:06:00 AM (view original):
Tarek sold the company and some time after was completely unexpectedly was let go and was really wounded by that, I don't recall the time period he was here after the sale but it sure felt much much shorter than 5 years.
It seemed like it was right after his lock-in expired. I think it was 1 year, could have been 2, was not anywhere near 5.
9/10/2016 11:03 AM
◂ Prev 1...12|13|14|15 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.