Posted by bad_luck on 8/19/2016 2:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 8/19/2016 2:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 8/19/2016 2:10:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/19/2016 2:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 8/19/2016 1:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/19/2016 1:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 8/19/2016 1:26:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/19/2016 1:08:00 PM (view original):
Do fair trades matter? Is that a stupid question?

Yeah, people give up stuff for nothing all the time. We're people paying a quarter a day to play a game on the internet. True motives for trades are unknown. That's why we have a veto process. As I pointed out with ericwoody, virtually everyone was sending him cash in their deals. His account was terminated for alias usage.

So, yeah, it matters if the trade is fair. And, if I can't judge whether or not it's fair, why should I approve it?
Not asking if it matters if the trade is fair. I'm asking if it matters whether or not you know what someone does with the $1m.

If a player is worth $1m in a trade, the trade is fair if guy getting the cash uses that money to sign a quality IFA or ****** it away on minor league free agents.
And I'm telling you I don't know if it's a fair trade until that 1m is used. If it sits unused all season, he got nothing.
And if I trade player for player and then do nothing with that player before releasing him, was it a fair trade?
I can't control your stupidity in player usage but I can evaluate the value of the player you acquired. I can't do that until you use cash.

Do I need to use smaller words?
But you absolutely can evaluate the cash on the value of. the. cash.

Cash has different value to different people, depending on their particular situation and what they want/need do with it.

You can't apply a "one size fits all" valuation to cash.
But it's not going to vary that much. There's only so much you can do with <$5m in this game.
You can sign your top 3 draft picks with $24k from your payroll budget.

You can sign a $30m IFA with $8k from your payroll budget.
8/19/2016 2:39 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 8/19/2016 2:40:00 PM (view original):

Yeah, people give up stuff for nothing all the time. We're people paying a quarter a day to play a game on the internet. True motives for trades are unknown. That's why we have a veto process. As I pointed out with ericwoody, virtually everyone was sending him cash in their deals. His account was terminated for alias usage.

So, yeah, it matters if the trade is fair. And, if I can't judge whether or not it's fair, why should I approve it?
Not asking if it matters if the trade is fair. I'm asking if it matters whether or not you know what someone does with the $1m.

If a player is worth $1m in a trade, the trade is fair if guy getting the cash uses that money to sign a quality IFA or ****** it away on minor league free agents.
And I'm telling you I don't know if it's a fair trade until that 1m is used. If it sits unused all season, he got nothing.
And if I trade player for player and then do nothing with that player before releasing him, was it a fair trade?
I can't control your stupidity in player usage but I can evaluate the value of the player you acquired. I can't do that until you use cash.

Cash has different value to different people, depending on their particular situation and what they want/need do with it.

But it's not going to vary that much. There's only so much you can do with <$5m in this game.

Um ok. But you also need the cash for the signing bonuses. What's your point?
8/19/2016 2:40 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 8/19/2016 2:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 8/19/2016 2:40:00 PM (view original):

Um ok. But you also need the cash for the signing bonuses. What's your point?
If I have $30m in my prospect budget, and only $4k in my payroll budget, I can't really sign a $30m IFA can I?
8/19/2016 2:43 PM
You cannot.
8/19/2016 2:44 PM
So my point is that a trade in which a TC player is traded for a TC player and $5k cash might mean more to me than somebody else trading an average ML player for another average ML player and $5m cash.

The value of the $5k I'm receiving may be >>>>>>> the value of the $5m you're receiving in your trade. Because I'm using my cash to help sign a $30m top notch IFA, and you might be using your cash to sign a 38 year old RP off the scrap heap.
8/19/2016 2:51 PM (edited)
I left a WS winner behind because the commish traded rookie league garbage for AAA garbage. You know why? Because his deal allowed an owner to sign his first pick and a supplemental pick with the 15k in cash that was freed up. You know when that world plays it's next game? Never. It folded.
8/19/2016 2:53 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 8/19/2016 2:51:00 PM (view original):
So my point is that a trade in which a TC player is traded for a TC player and $5k cash might mean more to me than somebody else trading an average ML player for another average ML player and $5m cash.

The value of the $5k I'm receiving may be >>>>>>> the value of the $5m you're receiving in your trade. Because I'm using my cash to help sign a $30m top notch IFA, and you might be using your cash to sign a 38 year old RP off the scrap heap.
Tec...that's the essence of ANY trade. What you're giving me is worth more to me that what it's worth to you.

You could accomplish the same budget trick by trading a minor leaguer making $57k for one making $8k. That doesn't make the $8k player worth more than $5m.

8/19/2016 2:58 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 8/19/2016 2:58:00 PM (view original):

Tec...that's the essence of ANY trade. What you're giving me is worth more to me that what it's worth to you.

You could accomplish the same budget trick by trading a minor leaguer making $57k for one making $8k. That doesn't make the $8k player worth more than $5m.

That's true. But it doesn't involve trading cash, which is what this thread is about.
8/19/2016 3:04 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 8/19/2016 3:04:00 PM (view original):

That's true. But it doesn't involve trading cash, which is what this thread is about.
Which is my point. It doesn't make sense to forbid all cash trades.
8/19/2016 3:05 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 8/19/2016 3:05:00 PM (view original):

I'm not aware of any worlds where all cash trades are forbidden.

The discussion here is about the philosophy behind cash in trades. Everybody draws their line somewhere over what they feel comfortable or uncomfortable with. The discussion is really about considerations that people should take into account when deciding where that line should be drawn.
8/19/2016 3:11 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 8/19/2016 3:11:00 PM (view original):

The discussion here is about the philosophy behind cash in trades. Everybody draws their line somewhere over what they feel comfortable or uncomfortable with. The discussion is really about considerations that people should take into account when deciding where that line should be drawn.
And where should that line be drawn?
8/19/2016 3:17 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 8/19/2016 3:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 8/19/2016 3:11:00 PM (view original):

And where should that line be drawn?
That's up to each individual to decide.
8/19/2016 3:20 PM
I'm asking what you think.
8/19/2016 3:21 PM
I veto all trades which include cash.
8/19/2016 3:27 PM

Full circle.
8/19/2016 3:34 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
No cash for player rule clarification Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.