Catcher and 1B Range Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Catcher's range doesn't seem to be worth the cost, but 1B range is very underrated since, as you mentioned, it's tougher to pick up on in the traditional stats. I have 1885 Roger Connor in plenty of leagues and, as one example, through 100 games he has 21 + plays and 0 - plays. This basically means 21 instances where we got an out at 1B, or were able to turn a double play, when we otherwise wouldn't've been able to. He is leading my team in + plays, which makes him (arguably) my most valuable defensive player by that metric. Who knows how many runs (or even games) he's saved for us.

This is just one example out of many. It's part of the reason why guys like 1888 John Reilly are popular at lower caps, too.
8/21/2016 8:46 AM (edited)
Thanks man
8/21/2016 10:05 PM
Haven't played sim baseball in a while (been doing basketball and FC dynasty), but I did play about 50 OL seasons (and won like 4 champs). I always noticed 1B range is important, but field % is neglible. As in, a D+/A 1B will have about 8 errors in a regular season and 20 + plays. A A+/D will have 0-1 errors and probably 0 + plays and a couple - plays. So try to find value in guys with poor fielding % but high range at 1B. Guys like Steve Evans, Charlie Hickman, etc.
8/24/2016 4:04 PM
Good suggestion thanks
8/26/2016 4:08 PM
Range is important at 1B in the Sim, more important than it should be. There are a number of 1B who make a huge number of + plays and you're not charged extra salary, all A+ are the same in the salary formula. Be wary of D- range, particularly if it's a secondary position, some of them make way too many minus plays.
Catcher range is the least important of all positions, but again be wary of secondary positions some of them make a lot of Passed Balls.
8/28/2016 11:16 PM
Catcher and 1B Range Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.