Is anybody out there? Topic

It seems to me that there aren't a whole lot of theme leagues out there and very few people are joining any of them. People don't seem to be thrilled with the rookies in open leagues, but at the same time they won't join theme leagues. Has it really gotten to the point where there isn't anyone playing or is everyone sitting around in a drunken stupor waiting for football season to start? (I assume there are no other options.) Anyhow, if you are interested in these leagues at all, try joining one. My teams can't crash and burn in the playoffs if the league can't get off the ground.
8/28/2016 9:19 PM
I can only speak for myself, but I'm burnt out. I am in three progressive leagues, one of which just had its inaugural draft. On top of that, I'm in the ODL and usually keep a pair of OLs going. I sometimes go 2 or 3 days without checking lineups because I just don't care as much anymore. I'm going to drop the ODL and probably down to at most one OL and just play progressives from this point.

Maybe an update in the next decade might grab my attention.
8/28/2016 10:17 PM
Baseball is their cash cow, so they get updates all the time. They do not care about basketball. It's only here so that they can say they offer all major sports. They don't care that it's old and outdated. Whatifsports/basketball is probably a write off for them
8/29/2016 12:33 AM
While we are all busy not joining theme leagues, why is it that everyone seems to only be interested in leagues in which you barely have enough minutes to play? How come no one wants to play in leagues where you have enough players and minutes to give you coaching flexibility?
8/29/2016 10:46 PM
Posted by Midge on 8/29/2016 10:46:00 PM (view original):
While we are all busy not joining theme leagues, why is it that everyone seems to only be interested in leagues in which you barely have enough minutes to play? How come no one wants to play in leagues where you have enough players and minutes to give you coaching flexibility?
If by "leagues in which you barely have enough minutes to play" you mean open leagues, I couldn't explain it. I've had zero interest in them for years. Theme leagues don't fill nearly as quickly as they used to, but there are several kinds that still fill pretty regularly.
8/30/2016 12:44 PM
It was bad when I joined just a couple of years ago, but now it is dreadfully slow. Even hoosier's Banned league dropped of the face of the earth unfortunately. There is so much potential for this and it could use some small advertising movements to bring more players in. Most people aren't going to find it completely by accident like I did. But that'll never happen
8/30/2016 6:48 PM (edited)
I understand that in most leagues if you draft too many minutes you are just shooting yourself in the foot. That being said, I tried starting a league in which you have the opportunity to have more players and more minutes than you need, which gives you the chance to actually manage your roster. Manage your roster, you know, like what basketball coaches do. So far there has been little interest in the league and it has been disappointing. I've played more baseball here than basketball, and the nice thing about baseball is that you can manage your team. In basketball you set your minutes and come back 41 days later. Not a whole lot to manage.
8/30/2016 7:25 PM

In basketball you set your minutes and come back 41 days later. Not a whole lot to manage.

Then you're doing it wrong. Like really, really wrong.
8/30/2016 10:23 PM
Okay, that's not really what I do, but there is a lot more to manage in the baseball leagues. I'm just trying to say, poorly perhaps, that when you barely have enough minutes it decreases your options. You end up managing minutes in order to keep guys reasonably fresh, not to decide which player to play against a particular opponent.
8/30/2016 11:56 PM (edited)
Progressive's are where it's at! Just takes a little patience.
8/30/2016 11:18 PM
Posted by Midge on 8/30/2016 11:56:00 PM (view original):
Okay, that's not really what I do, but there is a lot more to manage in the baseball leagues. I'm just trying to say, poorly perhaps, that when you barely have enough minutes it decreases your options. You end up managing minutes in order to keep guys reasonably fresh, not to decide which player to play against a particular opponent.
That's your opinion, and you're not wrong, but that means the ability to build a superior team is emphasized, and in my view, that's not a bad thing. Being able to build a team that beats State Farm squads, board lord squads, defensive juggernaut squads and peripaint stress squads is no easy feat.

You really should try progressives. What you're looking for is there.
8/31/2016 4:28 PM
Posted by ashamael on 8/30/2016 10:23:00 PM (view original):

In basketball you set your minutes and come back 41 days later. Not a whole lot to manage.

Then you're doing it wrong. Like really, really wrong.
You should be checking twice a day for best results. Obviously that is near impossible to do at all times, but that's the way to consistently win.
9/1/2016 4:48 AM
Posted by tstamp2 on 8/30/2016 11:18:00 PM (view original):
Progressive's are where it's at! Just takes a little patience.
Progressives are the best leagues and seem to be what you're looking for. If you're interested send me a site mail. I commission two leagues and can give you first dibs if an opening comes up!
9/1/2016 4:49 AM
Is anybody out there? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.