Is WAR a stat? Topic

Quote post by tecwrg on 9/8/2016 5:21:00 PM:
Argue Monkey chooses to ignore facts and substitute his own narrative when the facts are inconvenient to his argument.

What's more likely:

Up until this year, Altuve (like just about everyone else) sucked at two strike counts. But this year he figured out some magic and, while increasing his strikeout rate, managed to actually become skilled at two strike hitting (you know, other than 2-2 counts, for some reason he still isn't good at those)

OR

Nothing has really changed. Altuve is just a little lucky on two strike counts this year.
9/8/2016 5:35 PM
Is anyone else having problem with quote posts right now?
9/8/2016 5:36 PM
Yes (to the quote posts issue). I'm using Firefox.
9/8/2016 5:41 PM
Send a complaint ticket.

BL can walk you thru the process. He probably has a template.
9/8/2016 5:42 PM
It's doing it to me on chrome and safari.
9/8/2016 5:48 PM
Or, Mike, no one could send a ticket and you could make up a big story about getting a warning from admin and then get caught in your lie when they deny sending said warning.

Very Trump like. I'm surprised moy isn't all over your nuts.
9/8/2016 5:50 PM
Or this:

You cried to ADMIN.
You were called on it.
You made a weak effort to cover that up.
You were called on it.
You declare "victory" and refuse any further discussion.

Typical Crybaby Argue Monkey BL tactics.
9/8/2016 6:35 PM
Quote post by bad_luck on 9/8/2016 5:35:00 PM:

Quote post by tecwrg on 9/8/2016 5:21:00 PM:
Argue Monkey chooses to ignore facts and substitute his own narrative when the facts are inconvenient to his argument.

What's more likely:

Up until this year, Altuve (like just about everyone else) sucked at two strike counts. But this year he figured out some magic and, while increasing his strikeout rate, managed to actually become skilled at two strike hitting (you know, other than 2-2 counts, for some reason he still isn't good at those)

OR

Nothing has really changed. Altuve is just a little lucky on two strike counts this year.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Neither of those scenarios has dick all to do with evaluating who is better this season. You do understand past performance means nothing when determining who is better THIS YEAR, right?
9/8/2016 7:00 PM
Sure. But if everything else is the same, how they performed in two strike counts really doesn't matter. It just means Donaldson did better in some other count.

Unless we're saying Altuve is some great two strike hitter. That would be a good skill. Unfortunately, I don't think it's something he (or most hitters) has.
9/8/2016 7:11 PM
At the risk of being reported for harassment, you don't think some hitters change their approach with two strikes?

That seems naive.
9/8/2016 7:54 PM
WAR don't give no ***** because it doesn't consider situational stats. Which is why BL doesn't care. Again. If WAR don't use it BL don't care about it.
9/8/2016 8:23 PM (edited)
While that's true, I wouldn't consider hitting with 2 strikes "situational hitting" in any kind of meaningful sense. That's not to say it isn't a skill, but unless there's any reason to believe otherwise, 2 strike counts should probably be assumed to occur in a basically random sampling of plate appearances. So who cares how these guys did relatively in that situation if it's balanced by how they did the rest of the time? Based on the fact that we're talking about 2 guys with similar OPS (and Donaldson's is better), I'd think that all this means is that Donaldson is significantly better with less than 2 strikes. Also not something I care about...

If you want to talk about actual situational hitting, both of these guys are really good at it. Their Ks go down with men on base and their AVG, OBP, and SLG all go up. So there's that.
9/8/2016 11:58 PM
Dahs has some good points. I still took a look at the stats in ABs with various counts. Its pretty apparent that Donaldson approaches ABs with more patience and Altuve is much more aggressive. Nothing new there.

What was a little shocking was how Altuve does in ABs when the count is 3-0 or 3-1 (and obviously those two situations cross over into each other). Only 104 AB sample, but a 1.692 OPS. 14XPH vs 12 singles. Crazy.
9/9/2016 8:30 AM

Quote post by sjpoker on 9/8/2016 8:23:00 PM:
WAR don't give no ***** because it doesn't consider situational stats. Which is why BL doesn't care. Again. If WAR don't use it BL don't care about it.

What stats do consider situations, in your opinion?

Does batting average or on-base do it? Home runs?

Again, you're bashing a stat for not doing something it's not intended to do and that essentially no stat does, other than WPA and a few others, but I can't imagine you're a fan of WPA.
9/9/2016 12:44 PM
The point is, everything should be used in conjunction when evaluating a player - stats, advanced metrics, eye test, etc.

The idea of some catch-all value that boils a players value down to one number is foolish and rife with flaws.
9/9/2016 12:56 PM
◂ Prev 1...20|21|22|23|24 Next ▸
Is WAR a stat? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.