Pitcher Appearance Fatigue Topic

Question about pitcher fatigue in terms of appearances. I know there is appearance fatigue but could someone explain how it works? If I have a pitcher with say 200 IP. I put him in a 6 pitcher tandem pitching rotation with a 50 - 60 pitch target. Every 6 games he will have 100-120 pitches thrown so he should be good for fatigue on the season. But he will pitch every 3 games. While he will end up with about 200 ip, he will make about twice as many appearances in the sim as in RL. This could apply to using starters as relievers too. How does pitching appearance fatigue affect overall fatigue? Thanks in advance for any insight.
9/5/2016 6:36 PM
Appearance fatigue has nothing to do with how often he appeared in real life. It's a fixed number, something like 70% of the total games played. It rarely happens. The rule was made many years ago under a different algorithm. There was a loophole where an SP, typically Greg Maddux, could pitch every game Long Relief and you could get more innings out of him. The appearance fatigue rule was made to close that loophole, eventually the algorithm was changed, closing the loophole anyway yet Appearance fatigue still exists.
9/5/2016 7:39 PM
Ok thanks
9/6/2016 4:31 AM
like rbow says, appearance fatigue is a vestige of many moons ago. Your guy would have to appear in something like 113 games before it made any difference, which means you'd be pitching him to death (not even the RL 1974 Mike Marshall threw in that many games for the Dodgers).
9/6/2016 7:12 PM
Yeah, people used to do that alot using regular starters as nearly every day relievers... on down in IP/162 to a guy like J.R. Richard in that one huge partial year of his.
9/9/2016 12:31 AM
Pitcher Appearance Fatigue Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.