Changing rosters after seeing others Topic

League fills up, schedule is generated and other rosters can be seen. An illegal roster is spotted and he withdraws to fix it. Several other teams take this opportunity to remove their teams and make some changes. Partly my fault because I started a discussion about strategy, number of innings needed, etc. What's are people's opinions about this? Is it uncool to make changes after seeing other rosters? or is it just careless on my part for starting the discussion too soon.
9/5/2016 7:25 PM (edited)
All of the above, I would say. But once the schedule was generated it really should have been safe, so mostly uncool of them.
9/5/2016 8:02 PM
Mostly uncool, though I think there are situations where it would be acceptable. Teams that under draft on innings significantly can really skew results for an entire division of even the other 11 teams in that league. We are seeing this right now in the WISC to some degree. Just my opinion, but I'd argue that that's something we probably should try to avoid in a league.

With that said, it's the responsibility of the league's commissioner to make a call one way or the other.
9/6/2016 8:45 AM
I'm one of the low-IP owners (if 1530 innings is too low), and it never occurred to me to re-draft even after rbow's comment on the range of innings. I guess I just don't think like that. But, then, I'm not one of the better players around here... so take that for what it's worth...
9/6/2016 4:28 PM
probably a bit careless on your behalf for discussing certain strategies that others eventually had the opportunity to act upon. All is fair in love, war, and the structuring of SIM leagues before the flag drops to start the season.
9/6/2016 7:10 PM
I think we all want responsible owners to join our leagues. Nothing satisfies more than a quick start, especially if we're hanging for week or longer chomping at the bit to fill it up. There may never be a gage to measure that quality of an owner, but there could be a solution. Assuming that the reason some owners bail is because they're having second thoughts, get a whiff of the competition---whatever, then maybe the answer is securing the transaction and integrity of the league after the 'join' trigger is pulled. With enough disclaimer, warning prior to joining, the release of a team is at the mutual discretion of the commissioner and admin. Once you join, you're in for the long haul. Newbs will always influence the performance of a league to some degree, and there is the risk of some disgruntled owner hosing. I don't think that is the rule. It's by and large the exception. Maybe the answer is pulling the Release function from Team Center, or some variant of that. an informed owner is a good one and as long as the information is clear and concise we draw better owners and more of them
9/8/2016 1:57 PM
I may not be the brightest bulb on the tree, but I don't ever recall being able to so-called "fix" or make "changes" to a roster AFTER the league schedule has been generated.
9/10/2016 2:54 PM
Posted by mixtroy on 9/10/2016 2:54:00 PM (view original):
I may not be the brightest bulb on the tree, but I don't ever recall being able to so-called "fix" or make "changes" to a roster AFTER the league schedule has been generated.
Not normally. But this situation happened when the schedule was generated, then had to be taken down for an illegal roster. This returned the league to a "pre-schedule" state but people had had a chance to see rosters.

In theory this shouldn't really happen much. Ideally the commissioner has all rosters corrected before allowing the schedule to be generated.
9/10/2016 10:35 PM
One of the changes I asked Admin for a long, long, long time ago was to give the Commish the ability to "lock" a roster/team into place once it's been verified correct. I've never heard anything back. Then again, people would still figure out ways to get around just about anything we can come up with...

9/11/2016 3:14 AM
Ultimately, the commissioner should wait until all rosters are legal to generate the schedule. Once that is done, no one should be allowed to change their teams.
9/11/2016 12:23 PM
Never understood why rosters should secret up until the schedule is generated, anyway. That being said, this is the url for doing a player search in a league from your league office.

https://www.whatifsports.com/mlb-l/league_playerSearch.asp?lid=116120

Replace the league number (lid=nnnnnn) with the league you're interested in and use either actual batting or actual pitching and see all the players on all the teams currently in the league.

Not that I would ever use this of course.

9/11/2016 8:08 PM
ROFLMAO
9/11/2016 10:30 PM
I'm in a league where one owner, submitted a team with no starting catcher. and it was accepted.
How could that be when the first 12 positions must be filled.
9/21/2016 9:07 PM
Posted by gbkjr on 9/21/2016 9:07:00 PM (view original):
I'm in a league where one owner, submitted a team with no starting catcher. and it was accepted.
How could that be when the first 12 positions must be filled.
https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=447209

9/21/2016 10:38 PM
Changing rosters after seeing others Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.