Double teaming pointless? Topic

I don't use it as often as I did when I first started, but I still use the double team when one or two players are far more used in my opponent's offense. This was the case in tonight's game -- two players were taking a little under half of the team's shots. So I felt confident in double teaming both players.

They went off for 18 and 15, and no one else did much of anything. Am I misunderstanding double teams? Why was it so ineffective? It's like I didn't double team at all.
9/6/2016 2:34 AM
Posted by pallas on 9/6/2016 2:34:00 AM (view original):
I don't use it as often as I did when I first started, but I still use the double team when one or two players are far more used in my opponent's offense. This was the case in tonight's game -- two players were taking a little under half of the team's shots. So I felt confident in double teaming both players.

They went off for 18 and 15, and no one else did much of anything. Am I misunderstanding double teams? Why was it so ineffective? It's like I didn't double team at all.
You can only double team 1 guy from team a the other from team b. You can't double team more than 1 player per team per roster. This is for man to man defense which it applies to.
9/6/2016 3:07 AM
This is clearly a case where Ward makes up his own version of reality. Check the HD FAQ on double team Pallas, you will find your answer there. Two players on the floor at the same time may be double teamed. If your defense is set to double team three or more of the opposition players on the floor together, no one will be double teamed.
9/6/2016 5:40 AM
double teams operate in man and in zone

check the play by play to see what happened when your guys doubled their guys

some guys can handle double better than others - depends on who is doing the doubling and the skills of the player being doubled

9/6/2016 6:18 AM
in my experience, the effects of double team are not huge, but they can matter in the right situations
9/6/2016 6:18 AM
If you double two guys who are both on the court at the same time... And if they are good passers... It might backfire as they might find the other for a wide open shot. I find it effective against one great player on the floor at a time or against bigs/ bad passers. It's tough to effectively double guys on teams with multiple good passers.
9/6/2016 10:02 AM
Posted by fd343ny on 9/6/2016 6:18:00 AM (view original):
in my experience, the effects of double team are not huge, but they can matter in the right situations
My experience as well.
9/6/2016 11:29 AM
As with everything else sable lowered the impact of anything that involved actual coaching strategy
9/6/2016 12:12 PM
I would say that rather than trying to double team two players all the time, instead maybe set both to 'if leading scorer'. That way, if one guy is 'going off' it will double him and not try to double two guys at the same time. And, it could have some impact both players.
9/6/2016 2:10 PM
Posted by mullycj on 9/6/2016 12:12:00 PM (view original):
As with everything else sable lowered the impact of anything that involved actual coaching strategy
And you KNOW that seble specifically lowered the impact of double teams? Or are you just making sniping remarks without any evidence to back it up.

Did seble also steal my son's lunch money in kindergarten?
9/6/2016 2:12 PM
Posted by favre3xmvp on 9/6/2016 5:40:00 AM (view original):
This is clearly a case where Ward makes up his own version of reality. Check the HD FAQ on double team Pallas, you will find your answer there. Two players on the floor at the same time may be double teamed. If your defense is set to double team three or more of the opposition players on the floor together, no one will be double teamed.
Double teaming one in team a one in team b works like a charm I don't think you can double team more than one guy per team it'll leave too many open guys.
9/6/2016 2:47 PM
Appreciate the responses, guys. With the exception of Wardo, who really has to just be trying to rapidly increase his forum posts, because he's always wrong. I'll have to try your suggestion, hughes. P.S. Sorry about your son's lunch money in kindergarten. It was probably Seble.
9/6/2016 3:15 PM
36 wins - 622 posts. Dunning-Kruger Effect Check out the John Cleese video.
9/6/2016 4:13 PM (edited)
Posted by hughesjr on 9/6/2016 2:12:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mullycj on 9/6/2016 12:12:00 PM (view original):
And you KNOW that seble specifically lowered the impact of double teams? Or are you just making sniping remarks without any evidence to back it up.

Did seble also steal my son's lunch money in kindergarten?
Most likely
9/6/2016 4:15 PM
I never try to double two players - but now and then will ILS (if leading scorer) two guys. Since one cant know the effects of game planning, that approach is less risky and reflects some modest assessment of my ability to predict.

Early in the game, a very common strategy against teams with just one good outside scorer was minus 2 or 3 or more and then ILS on the scorer. Over time, the engine was tweaked and that became less effective. Still an okay idea in some cases, in my experience.
9/6/2016 5:24 PM
123456 Next ▸
Double teaming pointless? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.