Insane Progressive League (IPL) Topic

Ever wanted to play in a progressive league that had no semblance of fairness or logic to it?

Neither have I, until just now.

Rules:

1. I will create 24 teams with 12 players each. The teams will not be random, but they will be fairly balanced in the beginning. I will not participate in the league. I will only moderate, arbitrate, and maintain it.
2. There will be a draft of those pre-designed teams (i.e. Team 1, Team 2....Team 24). Odds of getting a certain pick will be equal for everyone.
3. For Season 1, each player's season will be assigned randomly after the initial team draft.
4. After the season, I will cut whoever I want from your teams. I don't have to follow any sort of logic, but I'll definitely try to follow some themes. For example, if I post in the next season's forum that all point guards are cut, then anyone who is designated as a PG in any of their seasons (not based on effectiveness, but on natural position listed on the player profile) is automatically cut. The draft will run for as many picks as is necessary for everyone to have 12 keepers again. I might also go with anyone who ever played for the Lakers, anyone who played in the 1973-74 NBA or ABA season, players whose first names start with the letter M, players drafted in 1984, etc. I might even cut every team's best player.....or I might cut everyone's best player, except for one team. I won't do that for one team more than once. After all cuts are made, I will then post everyone's remaining keepers, after which point the draft will be held.
5. For that second season, your player will advance by one year. (If you had 1966-67 Bill Russell last season, you'll have 1967-68 Bill Russell in Season 2.)
6. Once your player is set to retire for next player, he is automatically cut before the draft, at which point he reverts to his rookie season. All drafted players are drafted as rookies.
7. Unlimited cap, no rookies, no waiver wire.
8. Just to make this clear: for Season 1, you will draft teams I make up. For Season 2, there will be a player draft, based on any players that are not keepers. You will be able to cut additional players if you want, and then I will make my cuts.
9. The odds of getting each pick will be equal for every season. Your record will have absolutely no bearing on your draft pick.
10. If someone in the league wants to try being the Overlord at some point, that can be arranged. The Overlord gets to decide who the next Overlord is, if there are multiple offers.

Note: Since I won't actually be in the league, I can't determine whether rosters are correct. We'll have to operate on the honor system. If everyone could check everyone else's rosters, and/or report any infractions and not start the league until all rosters are correct, that would be good.

Any takers?

evil genius/machiavellian commish/dark overlord (again, not an owner):
bds9992

owner list:
9/6/2016 11:23 PM (edited)
So players will have no control whatsoever on their franchise?

I'll pass.
9/6/2016 8:02 PM
well, you'll get to draft who you want after each season. just not the first season
9/6/2016 11:12 PM
Hate to be a party-pooper, but this seems extremely similar to the Ultimate Random As Possible Progressive, which is entering it's 17th season.
9/7/2016 3:22 PM
So, I can cut Joe Smith and then re-draft him again, and again, and again, drafting his rookie season all over again??????
9/7/2016 3:40 PM
Posted by all3 on 9/7/2016 3:22:00 PM (view original):
Hate to be a party-pooper, but this seems extremely similar to the Ultimate Random As Possible Progressive, which is entering it's 17th season.
He knows that, since he is in the URAPP league.
9/7/2016 3:43 PM
It's funny. The thing with the URAPP is that I always imagined that Malfunction could intentionally mess with our teams, and pass it off as being "random." Now, I do think the URAPP is genuinely random, and again, I'm not accusing Malfunction of anything, but that's where I got the idea for this.

This is the bizarro world version of the URAPP.
9/8/2016 10:39 AM
Posted by all3 on 9/7/2016 3:22:00 PM (view original):
I took your team! I then immediately traded almost everyone within two seasons. (David Lee, Al Jefferson AND Mike Miller? Who's gonna play defense? LOL, we did the best we could with Artis. Had 50 wins last season with Kobe and '74 Artis, but Artis flew the coop in the offseason. Now we're running on fumes.)
9/8/2016 10:41 AM
I was in that League for quite a few seasons from the start. I have since "baby-sat" a couple of teams that nobody claimed shortly after their owner made them available, so as to help keep the League moving-along. I enjoy the League greatly, but am just a bit too much of a control freak to recommit long-term, plus I'm really close to the edge with WIS ignoring the entire NBA SIM. May need a complete break for a while soon.
9/8/2016 1:57 PM
I like this idea but I admit I'm only 50 percent committed due to some financial problems

)
9/11/2016 8:28 PM
This is a better idea than the same ole same ole
9/26/2016 12:27 PM
Insane Progressive League (IPL) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.