What If users RL baseball team Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 9/13/2016 4:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 9/13/2016 4:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/13/2016 3:53:00 PM (view original):
Not if you're BL or dahs. BL doesn't need to warm-up at all. But dahs is better than that. He doesn't even have to throw for 10 years to hit 70s.

And I don't think 75 is all that easy. I don't think the "average" person gets anywhere near it. I don't think people who don't throw regularly get anywhere near it. I think people who hop off the couch and start throwing max rip things that don't need to be ripped.

I read somewhere once that less than 1% of the adult American male population can bench their bodyweight. Personally, I think adding 50 lbs to your bench is much easier than adding 5 MPH to your fastball. So I doubt 1% of adult males can throw 75.
50 lbs might be easier than 5 mph. Or it might not.

It it depends on where you're starting from.

If you've been training for two weeks and bench 95, adding 50 is very, very easy. You can probably do it in a month.

Same if you throw 65 but haven't really trained. Adding 5 mph is easy.

If you've been training for 10 years and bench 445, adding 50 lbs might be impossible. If you throw 83 after playing baseball for years, throwing 88 might be impossible.

And again, you're old and fat and throw in the 60s. How much younger and stronger do I really need to be to throw in the 70s?
Mid 30s throwing 75 is reasonable with a baseball background. Throwing once a week ***** up the equation.

If I told you I ran a 5 minute mile but only ran once a week, would that sound reasonable?
Oh, and I don't need to warm up to do it. I just put on my shoes and take off.
9/13/2016 4:15 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/13/2016 4:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 9/13/2016 4:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/13/2016 3:53:00 PM (view original):
Not if you're BL or dahs. BL doesn't need to warm-up at all. But dahs is better than that. He doesn't even have to throw for 10 years to hit 70s.

And I don't think 75 is all that easy. I don't think the "average" person gets anywhere near it. I don't think people who don't throw regularly get anywhere near it. I think people who hop off the couch and start throwing max rip things that don't need to be ripped.

I read somewhere once that less than 1% of the adult American male population can bench their bodyweight. Personally, I think adding 50 lbs to your bench is much easier than adding 5 MPH to your fastball. So I doubt 1% of adult males can throw 75.
50 lbs might be easier than 5 mph. Or it might not.

It it depends on where you're starting from.

If you've been training for two weeks and bench 95, adding 50 is very, very easy. You can probably do it in a month.

Same if you throw 65 but haven't really trained. Adding 5 mph is easy.

If you've been training for 10 years and bench 445, adding 50 lbs might be impossible. If you throw 83 after playing baseball for years, throwing 88 might be impossible.

And again, you're old and fat and throw in the 60s. How much younger and stronger do I really need to be to throw in the 70s?
Mid 30s throwing 75 is reasonable with a baseball background. Throwing once a week ***** up the equation.

If I told you I ran a 5 minute mile but only ran once a week, would that sound reasonable?
I don't know what to tell you, dude. I'll take a picture next time.
9/13/2016 4:17 PM
Well, you could admit you got busted for lying again and be done with it. But we know you won't.

FWIW, I doubt you're stronger than me. No point in getting into a dick-measuring contest, you'll lie about what you can lift just like you are about what you can throw but, since you only throw once a week, I doubt you lift more than once a week either.
9/13/2016 4:19 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/13/2016 4:19:00 PM (view original):
Well, you could admit you got busted for lying again and be done with it. But we know you won't.

FWIW, I doubt you're stronger than me. No point in getting into a dick-measuring contest, you'll lie about what you can lift just like you are about what you can throw but, since you only throw once a week, I doubt you lift more than once a week either.
Pretty sure you're the only one who has been busted for lying around here.
9/13/2016 4:24 PM
Dude, you can just admit that you can't throw 75.... I pitched for like 15 years, sat 78-80 ish, and am only 28 and doubt I could throw 70 (or tear my arm) completely cold.... thats just ridiculous..... theres a reason players long toss (toss being the key word) for so long before games
9/13/2016 4:33 PM
and if you can, I consider that to be quite impressive and also very risky for your arm
9/13/2016 4:34 PM
**** it. I'll take a picture and post it next time I go.
9/13/2016 4:34 PM
So you'll get someone who throws regularly to do it and then post a pic of them doing it?

Yeah, OK.
9/13/2016 4:35 PM
Take a pitch of your torn up shoulder you mean?
9/13/2016 4:38 PM
I don't care if you believe me. You asked. I told you. 70s is nothing to brag about. I literally didn't think you'd give a ****.
9/13/2016 4:38 PM
As I said, I expected this to be the Thread of Lies and Bullshit. Seem to be going OK until you and dahs started your laws of nature defying bullshit.
9/13/2016 4:43 PM
There's nothing nature defying about a 34 year old former college baseball player throwing 75. I'm not claiming to be a 15 year old throwing 89.
9/13/2016 4:53 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 9/13/2016 4:53:00 PM (view original):
There's nothing nature defying about a 34 year old former college baseball player throwing 75. I'm not claiming to be a 15 year old throwing 89.
Once again, you're missing the key part. A 34 year old throwing 75 isn't an anomaly. A 34 year old throwing 75 without a warm up, or any kind of regular throwing routine (or without having thrown in 10 years, in dahs case) is highly suspect. I guarantee if an MLB pitcher who throws 90 didn't pick up a ball for a couple days, stepped onto a mound without stretching or tossing and tried to throw 80+, he'd do some major damage to his shoulder. And that's a guy who does it for a living.
9/13/2016 5:00 PM
Well other than the fact that you only throw once a week, 6 months a year(which basically means you throw 26 days of 365) or that you require no warm-up.

Which, quite honestly, is more believable than dahs' contention that he hasn't thrown in 10 years but hasn't lost a thing.
9/13/2016 5:03 PM
How fast do you venture you throw once warmed up?
9/13/2016 5:04 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9...14 Next ▸
What If users RL baseball team Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.