HD 3.0 QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS: Topic

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ABOUT HD 3.0:
I am getting a fair amount of people asking questions, since I have been through the Beta Process. I thought I'd go ahead and post the questions and answers I think are correct. Bear in mind that I may not be correct in my thinking on everything, and others are welcome to chime in. I will keep adding to this thread, and also add other people's answers if they have a different take. It would be nice if they were all in one place instead of multiple threads. I'll also add these to the guide:

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ABOUT HD 3.0:
Q: I read where SIMS will recruit smarter and game plan better. How is that going to work?
A: I have not noticed anything about SIMs game planning better, and have not seen any change in my success against SIMs in game play. In terms of recruiting, the big change is that in 2.0 Sims do all of their recruiting before recruiting starts and all you have to do is pass them. In 3.0, they start at the same time as everyone else, and they recruit throughout the whole time. They also sense when they are going to be beaten, and will switch recruits at that point. They no longer have the advantage of recruiting where any distance to them equals 200 miles. So, you will see Sims tend to recruit closer to home in most cases. That being said, I did lose to a Sim from USC with a high prestige on a kid in the Northeast when I was at Dartmouth and had a worse prestige than they did. But, in the big picture, the way sims recruit will not have much effect on the game, and if you match up decently against a sim, you can outsmart them fairly easily. I also noticed at D2, that if I was after a D1 recruit, and a D1 sim came on them, sometimes it would take them a while to overtake me. So, if it is late in the first recruiting period, and you are leading on a D1 sim for a D1 recruit, you can sometimes do some HVs to hold them off until the second period when a prospect can sign with a D2 team.

Q: I have kept away from the forums for the last couple months as they have gotten really toxic between the new engine complaints and coachward's drivel. I am heading into 3.0 pretty much blind, but intend on giving the new game a fair chance. Thank you chapel for stepping up and doing this. A couple questions, all of which would apply to high D1:
-What is the timeline for recruiting during the season? I'm guessing early season will just be for scouting, then a contact period, is there an in season signing period too?
-What are the differences in budget between a 1 scholarship team and 6 scholarship team? Will both teams have the same amount of Attention Points?
-Are the value of CV's and HV's the same as they are now?
-I have heard that there are now different levels of scouting. Can you use FSS to fully scout all players in an entire state, and is this an efficient use of money? Or would you be better off hosting/attending a camp, or just scouting players individually?

A:From Benis: Clouse - all the answers to these questions and more can be found here. https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=495608
A: From darnoc29099: Clouseb-one thing to note is the public camps run very early once the world rolls over. You'll need to figure out which ones you want to attend and sign up quickly.?
A: From chapelhillne: About the last question - I think the best use of money, personally is FSS, followed by a Private camp, since that increases the player by 2 levels. You could get to level 4 on some players by attending then a public camp, but I am starting to prefer sending my assistant coach out to discover new players and raise existing players one level. I try to do like 400 miles, so I know everything about every player within 400 miles. Be sure to wait for your camp to run before you send the scout out. You can send him to scout 25 players at a time at a cost of $1500 per trip. As he runs out of people to scout within 400 miles ( or whatever number you pick), you are not charged for any of the 25 he does not get. So eventually the cost is $0 for a trip, and at that point you know you have a complete list, including potential, for all players in your immediate area. Unless you are at D3, you can do this and still have a decent amount left over. And it does not take long - about 5 minutes, although you have to wait for the camp or camps to run.

Q: I have been in the process of debating whether to bail on this game. I have had the opportunity to look at the 'scouting' process, but am very concerned about the recruiting portion.
A: I would definitely give it 2-3 seasons tho se what you think. Some of the questions really remain to be seen, because it is impossible to replicate a real world in Beta. There are more human teams in the real worlds, and more active owners, and something more at stake than Beta. I'll give you my opinions though, but like I said, if you like the game it is worth giving it a try for a few seasons. You may be really glad you did. I personally like it better for a lot of reasons.

Q: Are they still using the system for recruit generation and seeding that now exists in the current system, and if not, what would be the difference(s)?
A: I believe that this is the same. But, a big difference will be that there will be a ton more battles for top prospects than there are now. You can go all in on a prospect with 20 HVs and a CV. So you can do this on a few players. If they match up well with preferences, you can beat stronger teams. You can also recruit at longer distances, so it would not be too unusual for UCLA to be able to beat Syracuse for a recruit in New York. So, I think the distribution of the recruits will be a lot different in 3.0

Q: Are high baseline schools still in play?
A: High baselines are still in play but I am not sure if their power has changed. Sable was asked about it and he said Prestige is more important than a lot of people on the forum in beta were thinking. However, to me, it did not seem as tough for a lower prestige school to beat an elite program, if the conditions were right with preferences. If I am a B+ and match up much better than an A+, I am going to battle for him and hope I can out recruit them. Promises are very important too. But it is still an advantage to get a high baseline school if you can.

Q: How will the new system impact prestige?
A: I think you will see some mid majors be able to become fairly elite. They may not get to A+, but I could see some at A- because they will be able to land 5 star players, in my opinion.

Q: Assuming scouting was done properly, what is the actual level of randomness is involved with a player signing with a team not actually in the lead?
A: I believe that if it is pretty lopsided - as in high vs very high, it is only about a 10% chance they sign with the high. I believe the figure is if it is a 55% to 45% lead, the leading team wins 73% of the time.

Q: Roughly, how far away can a D-I team 'effectively' recruit in the new system?
A: A D1 team with 4 or more openings, in my opinion, could actually look for players over 800 miles away that like Far From Home as a preference. 800 miles is the cutoff to be "Very Good". You can afford to do 20 HVs and a CV if you have to, and you can also use 100 "FREE" Attention Point per cycle, with 4 scholarships. I believe that is close to the equivalent of 2 HVs per cycle. I can't remember if it is 20 or 60 AP = 1 HV. But either way, if you are doing 100 AP each cycle, you can pull way ahead, and if you match up on everything else, but have the Far From Home advantage, you can recruit across country. The reason I say 4 openings is because it will still be expensive, you'd want fairly close players, for the other 3 players you'd go after. But you can sign some players with just attention points and a scholarship, so if that happens, you should have no financial worries.

Q: There's a 5-star in Knight who has 4 listed preferences. I'm "very good" on 2 and "good" on a third. The 4th is wants to play and I'd throw a start and 20 minutes at him, which I'm assuming would get me to "very good." Problem is I'm a C+ prestige and will have 3 openings. Given what you saw in Beta, is there any shot I could land the kid simply because my preferences shake out well?
A: I would definitely give it a shot for the 5 star guy. I Guess it depends on the preferences you are very good and good on. If they are common preferences, like mMotion and man to Man, it's less of a chance. But the minutes, if promised at the beginning will help a lot.

Q: Along those lines, was anyone able to correlate prestige with preferences in beta? For example, if there were a B+ and C+ school battling and the C+ had a net advantage of 1 "very good" preference, any idea if that equates to 1/3 of a letter grade? Two-thirds? Obviously there are more moving parts now (APs, CVs, HVs), but was just curious.
A: That's a great question. I don't think anyone has figured out an exact correlation yet. I just started a Q&A thing on the forums, so I will add this to that as well and see if anyone has any insight.

Q: Chap, I am inclined to think you stay sort of close like you we do now, but then there might be someone far off that you can pick off. The problem is that I think this system lends itself to being even more DEF. (?)
A: I don't think so. It's not so obvious who will win a battle in 3.0 as it is in 2.0 where it is mainly counting recruits, figuring conference cash, and looking to see if either team is in a battle. In 3.0 you tend to feel like you have a better shot at some recruits that may be better than what you are used to getting. For the elite schools, it may require picking up a few players that are not as good right away, but have lots of potential, instead of a team of 4-5 star guys.

I do think staying close if possible is a good plan, but like you said, there may be a guy farther away that wants to play far from home, and he matches a ton of preferences that you could very well pick off, since there is a 20 HV limit.

Q: How much is a preference match worth? If I have a recruit that has all neutrals and one Very Bad would I even have a chance? Are some preferences worth "more" than others?In the new game it seems as though if you're not lucky enough to have any decent recruits "match" your preferences that you're basically toast. What are we missing that would allow us to overcome disadvantages like that or has it simply gotten even more random than before??
A: No one really knows the answer to this question. If you don't match or are negative in a lot of preferences, it definitely makes it harder. You are better off trying to find a similar player that matches you much better, even if they are a little further away. If you match a lot of preferences, you can beat a higher prestige team, often, that has fewer matches.
A: From CubCub: With one very bad, yes. If you somehow have 3 VBs and a bad then most likely not.
A: From Benis: I'd agree with this. It also depends on what else is going on. Are you battling humans at same level? Lower level? Are you battling SIMs? What are the preference matchups of said human/sim? How much of a budget are you dedicating to the player? Lots of variables so it's kind of hard to answer.. But the smart money would be to find players with good preference matchups first.
A: From CoachSpud: But no matter how much of a preference advantage you have, even an extremely good versus an extremely bad match, any difference in division trumps everything else. Lower division teams cannot beat higher division teams unless the higher division team abdicates.

Q: Do we still get a message when a player is maxed out in a category??
A: There are no messages for being maxed out any more. However, one nice thing is that in 3.0 is there are 5 colors instead of 3. So, red is pretty much maxed out. Yellow in the new game would be low potential, but still some. Black is just like black in the current game. Blue is High, and Green is High High. So, I tend to take all minutes off red values and try to put them in the green and blue. Then at some point you'll just have yellow and red, and at that point, focus on yellow. In the old game, all of those would have been red, so it was harder to tell which areas to focus on. I generally adjust mine every time the grades come out, which is about once every 6-7 days. I just do that so I don't forget to look at them.

Q: In 2.0 prestige at D2 and D3 doesn't mean much in a battle. Was that changed? In 3.0 does an A+ school have a bigger advantage over a B+ school of the same division than in 2.0?
A: From Benis - I think so, yes. Even at the lower levels. It will act like a multiplier just like other preferences do. So a team with an A+ will have a higher multiplier than C. I'm not sure we really know how much that amount is but I think its significant. Like having another Good or Very Good preference if you have high prestige.

Q: At Oregon State, where could you recruit from?
A: At Oregon State, you should be able to recruit the entire Northwest, and Mountain States, and maybe Southwest and be competitive

Q: How will Hawaii be in the new game?
A: In terms of Hawaii, the problem I have had so far in "regular" HD is that when I took over, the first year, there was a 5 Star guy on the island that would not talk to me because of my C+ prestige, so I could not get him. I think Hawaii may benefit most of any school from this system because they can pretty easily win the local guys, and they can look for a player in the states that is Far from Home as a preference, and matches up well with the other preferences, and they can do the 20 HVs and CV and AP, and have a good shot.
9/15/2016 10:32 AM (edited)
This is great! nice chapel
9/11/2016 9:13 AM
Bumping this thread.
9/13/2016 4:37 PM (edited)
How much is a preference match worth? If I have a recruit that has all neutrals and one Very Bad would I even have a chance? Are some preferences worth "more" than others?In the new game it seems as though if you're not lucky enough to have any decent recruits "match" your preferences that you're basically toast. What are we missing that would allow us to overcome disadvantages like that or has it simply gotten even more random than before?

Thanks in advance for your time Chapel.
9/13/2016 4:50 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 9/13/2016 4:50:00 PM (view original):
How much is a preference match worth? If I have a recruit that has all neutrals and one Very Bad would I even have a chance? Are some preferences worth "more" than others?In the new game it seems as though if you're not lucky enough to have any decent recruits "match" your preferences that you're basically toast. What are we missing that would allow us to overcome disadvantages like that or has it simply gotten even more random than before?

With one very bad, yes. If you somehow have 3 VBs and a bad then most likely not.
9/13/2016 5:27 PM
Do we still get a message when a player is maxed out in a category?
9/13/2016 6:15 PM
Posted by cubcub113 on 9/13/2016 5:27:00 PM (view original):

With one very bad, yes. If you somehow have 3 VBs and a bad then most likely not.
I'd agree with this. It also depends on what else is going on. Are you battling humans at same level? Lower level? Are you battling SIMs? What are the preference matchups of said human/sim? How much of a budget are you dedicating to the player?

Lots of variables so it's kind of hard to answer.. But the smart money would be to find players with good preference matchups first.
9/13/2016 6:40 PM

Here my two cents worth - No one really knows the answer to this question. If you don't match or are negative in a lot of preferences, it definitely makes it harder, and you are better off trying to find a similar player that matches you much better, even if they are a little further away. If you match a lot of preferences, you can beat a higher prestige team, often, that has fewer matches.
9/13/2016 6:57 PM
Posted by phalla on 9/13/2016 6:15:00 PM (view original):
There are no messages for being maxed out any more. However, one nice thing is that in 3.0 is there are 5 colors instead of 3. So, red is pretty much maxed out. Yellow in the new game would be low potential, but still some. Black is just like black in the current game. Blue is High, and Green is High High. So, I tend to take all minutes off red values and try to put them in the green and blue. Then at some point you'll just have yellow and red, and at that point, focus on yellow. In the old game, all of those would have been red, so it was harder to tell which areas to focus on. I generally adjust mine every time the grades come out, which is about once every 6-7 days. I just do that so I don't forget to look at them.
9/13/2016 7:00 PM
Posted by chapelhillne on 9/13/2016 7:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by phalla on 9/13/2016 6:15:00 PM (view original):
There are no messages for being maxed out any more. However, one nice thing is that in 3.0 is there are 5 colors instead of 3. So, red is pretty much maxed out. Yellow in the new game would be low potential, but still some. Black is just like black in the current game. Blue is High, and Green is High High. So, I tend to take all minutes off red values and try to put them in the green and blue. Then at some point you'll just have yellow and red, and at that point, focus on yellow. In the old game, all of those would have been red, so it was harder to tell which areas to focus on. I generally adjust mine every time the grades come out, which is about once every 6-7 days. I just do that so I don't forget to look at them.
Please note that the above does not seem to apply to FT, where it appears only a 3-color scheme is used (blue, black and yellow)...which makes life a little more challenging since you don't know if the yellow means maxed or only minimal improvement possible...and the letter grades make determination of continuing improvement almost impossible.

If someone has seen green or red for FT, I would be EXTREMELY interested in hearing that (especially red!)
9/13/2016 7:48 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This can be a really good thread spud. Stop trying to ruin it.
9/13/2016 9:08 PM
chaps - great thread and great continuing effort to make the nu game appealing - wish the paid staff had your dedication to the product!
9/13/2016 9:21 PM
In 2.0 prestige at D2 and D3 doesn't mean much in a battle. Was that changed? In 3.0 does an A+ school have a bigger advantage over a B+ school of the same division than in 2.0?
9/13/2016 9:23 PM
Posted by darnoc29099 on 9/13/2016 9:23:00 PM (view original):
In 2.0 prestige at D2 and D3 doesn't mean much in a battle. Was that changed? In 3.0 does an A+ school have a bigger advantage over a B+ school of the same division than in 2.0?
I think so, yes. Even at the lower levels. It will act like a multiplier just like other preferences do. So a team with an A+ will have a higher multiplier than C. I'm not sure we really know how much that amount is but I think its significant. Like having another Good or Very Good preference if you have high prestige.
9/13/2016 9:26 PM
1234 Next ▸
HD 3.0 QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS: Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.