cubcub 3.0 recruiting blog Topic

In this thread, my goal is to (delayed and without player names at first) talk about the new changes and how they are affecting DII recruiting. Wooden will be the first world to recruit so even so I will talk about what I do way after I do it, that still should be before other worlds recruit.
9/11/2016 7:19 PM
Scouting:
I have 10 targets ranked less than 130 at their positions that I love. If I can get 4 of those guys I will be ecstatic. I also have 15 more guys ranked less than 130 who I would not be unhappy with if I had them on my team, but, I don't love them. I also have 12 more guys who are as good as the first ten, but may be ranked to highly too be accessible to a DII team.
9/17/2016 9:25 AM (edited)
I am a B prestige ( which will go up in the second period) DII team in a strong conference (#2 in rpi) with 4 opening and therefore 11k recruiting money. I also saved 6k of scouting money.
Targets: I definitely considered with 4 openings in the first year to go after guys in the top 100 and 200 overall but decided to find guys that were:
1. Good players but not good enough for big 6 D1 or even teams that want to make the D1 NT. I actually just noticed no one in my top 13 is ranked overall, that was not how I thought I would approach 3.0.
2. Have them be close enough and match up great with preferances so I could beat a D+ team if I went all in.
3. In a perfect world I could get the guys I am looking at with no interference from DI but I know I have to be willing to throw in my 11,000 to win if necessary and get other guys with only attention points.
4. I mostly tried to target guys that sign either late or whenever.

Tidbit:
I found a Juco with two very goods and two goods and a wants to play preference. Assuming that 20 minutes and a start is very good, I would have three VGs and a two Gs. If a DI big six team try's to grab that recruit, do you guys think I could still win. I remember season 1 in beta I fought with a simmed DI big 6 team (maybe ASU?) and beat them because I had 4 very goods (wants to play, wants strong conference, wants success, and then an offense or defense).
9/17/2016 9:25 AM (edited)
The sky is not falling. At DII, I will not be able to grab the types of guys I was trying to target. I put 20 AP on 5 guys and 4 of them had a D1 team on them. I found two other guys with lots of potential (very lie starting ratings) that are not DI mid-major worthy but will make very nice DII players. I put 30 AP on both of them and 40 on a guy I am battling against a DII team for. I will most likely sign the two guys with no one else on them and drop 11k on a battle against a DII team in the second period. For my fourth guy, I will wait until the second period and (a) go under the radar and snag a guy every one else has overlooked or (b) grab a DII guy near with who is really, really nice.
9/17/2016 7:06 PM
I am currently in the clear for 1 guy, slightly ahead in a battle for another and neck-and-neck in a third. I have already spent 150 on the guy I'm easily winning on so I'll ease off and drop by 100 attention points on the two guys I'm in a battle on. I was able to offer scholarships to two of them.
9/18/2016 9:06 AM
Posted by cubcub113 on 9/17/2016 9:25:00 AM (view original):
I am a B prestige ( which will go up in the second period) DII team in a strong conference (#2 in rpi) with 4 opening and therefore 11k recruiting money. I also saved 6k of scouting money.
Targets: I definitely considered with 4 openings in the first year to go after guys in the top 100 and 200 overall but decided to find guys that were:
1. Good players but not good enough for big 6 D1 or even teams that want to make the D1 NT. I actually just noticed no one in my top 13 is ranked overall, that was not how I thought I would approach 3.0.
2. Have them be close enough and match up great with preferances so I could beat a D+ team if I went all in.
3. In a perfect world I could get the guys I am looking at with no interference from DI but I know I have to be willing to throw in my 11,000 to win if necessary and get other guys with only attention points.

Tidbit:
I found a Juco with two very goods and two goods and a wants to play preference. Assuming that 20 minutes and a start is very good, I would have three VGs and a two Gs. If a DI big six team try's to grab that recruit, do you guys think I could still win. I remember season 1 in beta I fought with a simmed DI big 6 team (maybe ASU?) and beat them because I had 4 very goods (wants to play, wants strong conference, wants success, and then an offense or defense).
Tough to say if you could beat a D1 team. A lot of variables. But I think if a B6 really wanted the guy, they'd probably win if they invested enough.

What are the preferences? If it's strong conf, team success, coach longevity then the B6 team probably has those as VG too.
9/18/2016 9:10 AM
Posted by Benis on 9/18/2016 9:10:00 AM (view original):

Tidbit:
Tough to say if you could beat a D1 team. A lot of variables. But I think if a B6 really wanted the guy, they'd probably win if they invested enough.

What are the preferences? If it's strong conf, team success, coach longevity then the B6 team probably has those as VG too.
IPFW is on him early I give up. Signs early.
9/18/2016 12:54 PM
Scouting:
I have 10 targets ranked less than 130 at their positions that I love. If I can get 4 of those guys I will be ecstatic. I also have 15 more guys ranked less than 130 who I would not be unhappy with if I had them on my team, but, I don't love them. I also have 12 more guys who are as good as the first ten, but may be ranked to highly too be accessible to a DII team.
Since I have a couple of pretty good, pretty high prestige D2 teams this will affect my choices as well. Can someone tell the crowd if after the whole #17 PF to a D3 team fiasco happened, were artificial limits put in place to limit how highly ranked of a player D2/D3 teams are able to recruit and sign?

I've got a potentially very interesting test case with one of my D2 teams when recruiting starts. There is a decently high ranked player who matches 3 preferences Very Good, a fourth Good, and could have another met with minutes due to the Wants to Play preference. Now this could give an A+ prestige D2 team 4 Very Good matches and another Good which is obviously great if and when a battle for the player takes place. But........does anyone know if there was that artificial ceiling put into place? Like...D2 teams can't recruit better than say, 2 star players? Or D2 teams can't recruit anyone rated better than # whatever at their respective positions? I know there was a lot of discussion about it but I don't remember if there was any kind of resolution. can anyone help out here? Thanks in advance, thanks for the info, and apologies for interfering in your thread Cub.
9/18/2016 1:19 PM
No. No artificial limit is in place. Just the prestige difference between divisions was beefed up. Also sims are tougher. So all depends on how much effort other teams put in.
9/18/2016 1:39 PM
Posted by Benis on 9/18/2016 1:39:00 PM (view original):
No. No artificial limit is in place. Just the prestige difference between divisions was beefed up. Also sims are tougher. So all depends on how much effort other teams put in.
Yes, I just noticed that in Wooden recruiting there is a D2 team being considered by a 4 star, top 10 at his position player. His consideration is at Very Low but the fact that he's on there at all still doesn't seem right. I mean, come on, I know about the whole "realism/realistic" argument, the pros and cons of both sides of the issue but this is one situation that would NEVER happen in real life. I'm quite sure that the D2 team won't even come close to winning the recruit but again, having a 4*, top 10 player even considering a D2 school is ludicrous.

And for what it's worth, this is coming from someone who plays almost exclusively D2 teams and a large majority of the time has either a A or A+ prestige so it's not sour grapes at all. In fact, it's a mistake that would favor teams like mine but even I don't want to see players like that on D2 rosters, even if it was MY team that was able to sign that type of player. I also am not naive enough to think that players like this one will end up falling to D2 teams more than once in a (your time frame of choice), but the problem is that it shouldn't happen EVER.
9/18/2016 4:34 PM
I remember reading something about Sims being better and tougher recruiters, does anyone know if the Sim teams basically keep the same strategy of number of open schollies minus 2 when they recruit?
9/18/2016 4:36 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 9/18/2016 4:34:00 PM (view original):
Yes, I just noticed that in Wooden recruiting there is a D2 team being considered by a 4 star, top 10 at his position player. His consideration is at Very Low but the fact that he's on there at all still doesn't seem right. I mean, come on, I know about the whole "realism/realistic" argument, the pros and cons of both sides of the issue but this is one situation that would NEVER happen in real life. I'm quite sure that the D2 team won't even come close to winning the recruit but again, having a 4*, top 10 player even considering a D2 school is ludicrous.

And for what it's worth, this is coming from someone who plays almost exclusively D2 teams and a large majority of the time has either a A or A+ prestige so it's not sour grapes at all. In fact, it's a mistake that would favor teams like mine but even I don't want to see players like that on D2 rosters, even if it was MY team that was able to sign that type of player. I also am not naive enough to think that players like this one will end up falling to D2 teams more than once in a (your time frame of choice), but the problem is that it shouldn't happen EVER.
Yes this was discussed quite a bit during Beta. particularly talking about D3 teams getting D1 players. A lot of people wanted caps, some others didn't. As a compromise, Seble came up with Spud's Red Light thing.

I'm in the camp that there should be caps. For not only realism but also so the game doesn't get really unbalanced at D3.

9/18/2016 4:57 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 9/18/2016 4:36:00 PM (view original):
I remember reading something about Sims being better and tougher recruiters, does anyone know if the Sim teams basically keep the same strategy of number of open schollies minus 2 when they recruit?
I'm not 100% sure but I don't think so. They seem to go for more players and more often. You'll see like 8 SIMs on 1 guy. But then you'll see a guy with zero SIMs. Very strange.
9/18/2016 4:58 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 9/18/2016 1:19:00 PM (view original):
Scouting:
Since I have a couple of pretty good, pretty high prestige D2 teams this will affect my choices as well. Can someone tell the crowd if after the whole #17 PF to a D3 team fiasco happened, were artificial limits put in place to limit how highly ranked of a player D2/D3 teams are able to recruit and sign?

I've got a potentially very interesting test case with one of my D2 teams when recruiting starts. There is a decently high ranked player who matches 3 preferences Very Good, a fourth Good, and could have another met with minutes due to the Wants to Play preference. Now this could give an A+ prestige D2 team 4 Very Good matches and another Good which is obviously great if and when a battle for the player takes place. But........does anyone know if there was that artificial ceiling put into place? Like...D2 teams can't recruit better than say, 2 star players? Or D2 teams can't recruit anyone rated better than # whatever at their respective positions? I know there was a lot of discussion about it but I don't remember if there was any kind of resolution. can anyone help out here? Thanks in advance, thanks for the info, and apologies for interfering in your thread Cub.
No interfere as much as you want! I hoped to open a big 3.0 discussion thread.
9/18/2016 7:14 PM
Posted by Benis on 9/18/2016 4:58:00 PM (view original):
Posted by emy1013 on 9/18/2016 4:36:00 PM (view original):
I'm not 100% sure but I don't think so. They seem to go for more players and more often. You'll see like 8 SIMs on 1 guy. But then you'll see a guy with zero SIMs. Very strange.
I was on a highly ranked center, I was the only guy on him for 4 cycles and then... VCU (sim ai) pops on him and I now have no chance. I don't like that at all.
9/18/2016 7:16 PM
12345 Next ▸
cubcub 3.0 recruiting blog Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.