Maryville Rebuild 1.0 Topic

It's been YEARS since I've played GD and I wanted to give it a shot because it's not blocked at my job. The last time I played, it was in the Bryant world with Middlebury. A bunch of friends and I all went in together but after a few seasons they all dropped out and it wasn't as fun. I did a descent job building that school up, but eventually I got bored playing with strangers, so I didn't renew my seasons.
I did some research and wanted to play in a world that was active. Even though I wanted to go back to Middlebury, the allure of playing in a world that is active made me want to play here. I decided to rebuild Maryville because I wanted a school that is located more southern so I might have an easier time with recruiting until my vision opens up.
When I last played, the game was a run and pound it out game. You recruited the best OL and RBs to run on offense and the best DL and LBs to stop the other team from running. I've read that it's changed a lot and GD is more of a balanced game, so I'm hoping to experience some of that.
I'll try to post some updates and hopefully I can get some feedback from some more experience coaches because it's like starting all over again. My current roster looks pretty bare due to a lot of Sim recruiting. I'm not sure which recruiting tool to use or if there are any that still can be used. I made a makeshift excel sheet to help me gauge the recruits using rating I found on Guess.
Wish me luck and I'll take any advice if you got any....
9/16/2016 3:12 PM
Start with this... https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=492247

Also, download Yatzr's recruiting tool. Then, feel free to ask questions.
9/16/2016 4:24 PM
Posted by bigkeithdog on 9/16/2016 3:12:00 PM (view original):
It's been YEARS since I've played GD and I wanted to give it a shot because it's not blocked at my job. The last time I played, it was in the Bryant world with Middlebury. A bunch of friends and I all went in together but after a few seasons they all dropped out and it wasn't as fun. I did a descent job building that school up, but eventually I got bored playing with strangers, so I didn't renew my seasons.
I did some research and wanted to play in a world that was active. Even though I wanted to go back to Middlebury, the allure of playing in a world that is active made me want to play here. I decided to rebuild Maryville because I wanted a school that is located more southern so I might have an easier time with recruiting until my vision opens up.
When I last played, the game was a run and pound it out game. You recruited the best OL and RBs to run on offense and the best DL and LBs to stop the other team from running. I've read that it's changed a lot and GD is more of a balanced game, so I'm hoping to experience some of that.
I'll try to post some updates and hopefully I can get some feedback from some more experience coaches because it's like starting all over again. My current roster looks pretty bare due to a lot of Sim recruiting. I'm not sure which recruiting tool to use or if there are any that still can be used. I made a makeshift excel sheet to help me gauge the recruits using rating I found on Guess.
Wish me luck and I'll take any advice if you got any....
Welcome back bigkeith. Make some new friends here. Wilk is the place to do it. Feel free to sitemail us with any Q's you might have.
9/16/2016 5:56 PM
Since it has been a while, the first thing I would do is not get comfortable at division 3. Move up first chance you get, then work on rebuilding and learning the full game.
9/16/2016 6:42 PM
If I remember correctly, a DIII team/coach (especially a brand new one) couldn't sign players projected to go DII. I signed one today and it caught me by surprise. Is this an anomaly or can I expect a lot of this in the future?

Any word on increasing the Redshirts? I had a class of 19 and even after redshirting 3 Fr, this class will be huge....
9/17/2016 10:01 PM
If the player is in your vision, you can sign them. No as to increase in redshirts.
9/17/2016 11:44 PM
bigkieth, I had this Maryville team last season and went 12-3. Made it to the CC game and playoffs. To me, a rebuild is taking a team with a losing record and creating a winning record. Plus, why waste your time and money at d3? You can't do anything because of the limited controls.
9/18/2016 8:00 AM
And you had d2 recruits in your vision because of my winning record. if you win your vision gets better. if you lose then I t gets worse.
9/18/2016 8:03 AM
Thanks for the input and advice Akite30. The reason I'm calling Maryville a rebuild is because 19 seniors from your team graduated and the team is one of the lower rated teams in the league now. All of the best players have moved on, so I'm stuck having to build them up because everything is so bare now. So it might not be the GD classic definition of a rebuild because this team had success in the past, I think of it as one because of where the program is now talent-wise.
The last time I played GD it wasn't watered down with the controls in DIII like it is now, but unfortunately I never played in Wilkerson so I have to start in DIII. Maybe after 5-6 seasons I'll move up to DII. Who knows? Maybe I'll find where you're at and schedule games or even get in a team in your conference if you're still in DII. Good Luck at Quincy this year and thanks for the good vision for recruiting this year.
9/19/2016 10:09 AM
big Kieth, move up to DII as soon as you can. Come to the NCC - we have had the same 4 coaches for a few seasons now and get some decent playoff $ for recruiting. It is more fun to have control over your game plan. DIII is mostly all about recruiting and then set and forget the gameplan.
9/19/2016 3:47 PM
By all means move up asap. While you have full control at d2 most of the user generated content applies to d1aa and d1 so you may want to get to that level and then build a dynasty. Be warned though the competition at those levels are pretty stiff.
9/19/2016 6:17 PM
I think between akite30, benzyl, and spcbuzzard, they have me convinced to move up to DII after this year. I was thinking about either the NCC w/benzyl or the SIAC (I have my eyes on one school in particular). I was going to keep a journal of how everything went this year, but since I'm rolling I don't want to clutter up the forum. Thank you everyone for your advise/input.
9/19/2016 6:43 PM
when ya get to D1AA come to the SWAC!
9/20/2016 10:56 PM
Kdog, we would love to have you in the A10 as well. Great coaches here that would be happy to help you build your knowledge.
9/21/2016 6:45 PM
BigKeithDog - avoid the OVC unless you want to dedicate a few seasons toward learning to play the best..
9/21/2016 9:40 PM
Maryville Rebuild 1.0 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.