Correlation vs Causality Topic

This is a mini-rant. Turn away now if you are not interested.

So, I go to bed on the eve of signing day feeling good about things. 12 open schollies for Drake this season, 11 Green recruits since Wednesday, 1 Yellow that I'm likely way ahead on....

I wake up on signing day to find two new Yellow recruits that have been turned from Green. For the second season in a row, two BCS conference teams are the culprits in the late poach attempt. I check the status of both coaches "Little to No Jeopardy" and "In Jeopardy."

With the advantages of D1A vs D1AA cash, BCS Conference prestige, and lots of Bowl money from their successful conference-mates, the best these coaches can do to get talent is poaching D1AA?

Thus the topic, Correlation vs Causality. Is their poor recruiting ability the cause of their woes?

PS: I know no recruit is a lock until they accept the scholarship and recruiting battles are part of the game. I guess I'm really just pointing out the shortcomings of others because it is negatively affecting my team. I feel better now.
9/17/2016 11:47 AM
At a non-elite BCS sometimes you will have to knock off a D1AA recruit because you're not in a position to battle another BCS team or an elite. I personally am never happy to do it, but I've had to do it.

I have not had to do it overnight, just before signings.

There are many talented coaches right now who are LTNJ or IJ, so just because someone hits that status doesn't mean they are bad.

All that said, I understand your rant! That is very frustrating.
9/17/2016 12:45 PM
Hatroq - I've had this happen every season for the last 3-4 seasons. You have to be prepared with backup plans because at D1AA, this is par for the course now days. Frustrating as hell.
9/18/2016 9:43 PM
It's been happening to me every season (except this one). It's par for the course especially when your in a congested area.
9/18/2016 10:52 PM
sorry that was one of the reasons why I left. move on up to D1A.
9/19/2016 12:07 AM
The way I look at it (and did when I was at Columbia) is that the best DIAA recruits are really DIA recruits. Youre just good enough to have a shot at them. And if you get them through to signing day: woohoo!

I expect what you speak of is going to happen more as more coaches fill up DIA. The overall quality of recruits DIAA get will go down, ...but the successfull DIAA coaches will adapt. Or move up. :)

I'm sure DIAA will still be fun though.
9/19/2016 1:08 AM
Hatroq -- In my opinion, Its a cascading effect I am always in the same boat you are in 1-A. I have everyone green, night before comes and....Bang 4 or 5 of my "primary recruits" are now yellow and (in my estimation only) already " leaning" toward those major (not elite) programs and I am helpless to change it after Accepted Frosh, playing time guarantee, 5/5 CV/HC per cycle, etc. have all be given and accepted. Now I am stuck having to move "down the ladder" to avoid the dreaded SIMMY signings.

My two cents: Having gone through this exact process in real life, I will tell you that if Notre Dame knocked on my door at the last minute, I would have taken it. Other than the Ivies, no 1AA school had any chance over 1A. However, some DIIIs actually had MORE of a chance than most/all DIAA. This, of course is not reflected in the current version of the game.

9/19/2016 1:03 PM
Great insights dalailama and all.

I started this thread just as a catharsis.

I fully expect people to do what it takes to make their program better. I just think some of these guys go about it in a "sub-optimal" way.
9/19/2016 2:39 PM
File the name(s) away and help usher them to the exit when/if you reach D-IAA.

Nothing wrong with booting D-IAAs off a recruit from a D-IA school. Starts to get questionable when you do it the signing cycle (especially) or overnight right before signings. Of course, all recruits are fair game until they're signed, but if you're going to step on a helpless D-IAA, at least do him or her the courtesy of having time to react and adapt.
9/19/2016 2:59 PM
And, like jasonfreeman, it's the entire reason I moved up from Sacred Heart. There's no joy in recruiting at D-IAA in this world. Hell... D-IA is bad enough.
9/19/2016 3:01 PM
I won't name names, but I've ran into schools at the d1 level who will flip my guys. Over the last 3 or so seasons One such coach has recruited and signed several guys 5-6 total that I was recruiting. Said coach just put together one heck of a good season. Just because a d1 school is going after guys who can be seen at the d1aa level doesn't mean they can't compete.
9/19/2016 6:23 PM
I enjoy the challenge. Like I said, par for the course. I get my revenge in one way or another.. I've actually targeted a guy on a D1A team that was an upgrade at the D1AA level near the signing cycle to return the favor. I had a load of extra cash that season, so said, why not? That guy has since moved on altogether, but at least I was able to exact my revenge.
9/20/2016 1:59 AM
Correlation vs Causality Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.