Call Bullpen Settings Topic

I don't see much historical and owner perspective on the subject and would like to see what's y'alls take on this might be rather than Sparky's.

I understand fatigue better than I have before (judicious with TPC/MPC) but then a gain I don't want my SPs throwing 90 or so of batting practice pitches and getting shelled, just because he hasn't reached in-game fatigue. Of course if I set him to "1" it's because I chose to allow him to work out of a jam or two. Same with RPs. My tendency is to keep all my throwers at "1". I tend to second guess the "3" call bullpen setting, because that can lead to an excessive amount of throwers in a given game. CPB settings 2, 4 and 5 are settings I'l rarelyl use

I play in high cap themes, primarily, so there's a fundamental grasp of performance expectations. My RPs seem to lose more games for me though in the late innings, getting racked within 10-15 pitches. If a RP enters the game at 100% the assumption is he's at or near 100-92% after he's reached the 10-15 PC limit. Was there a fatigue factor or a CBP setting at play I'm not picking up on or considering? Is there a marked difference on an outcome when a thrower is somewhere between 97% and 92%?

What's your perspective, approach and logic? Thanks for chiming in guys
9/18/2016 10:54 AM
First check out this post. https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=490061&threadID=10839151#l_10839151.

These things I know about Pedro in 2000.
His pitches per GP for that season is about 120 (pretty high for a starter).
Playing live (if I can ever figure out how do that again) and watching his in-game fatigue shows that it will drop to about 70% if you let him go that long.

I'm sure the same algorithm applies to relievers that typically have pitches per GP of about 12-18. 1990 Eck, for example, has about 16.6 pitches per game. For him to be Eck-like effective, you really need to keep him maxed out at 10 pitches - which is a waste because at 10 pitches every other day, his season total would be 820 pitches although he has 1050 pitches available for the season.

Bottom line - the in-game fatigue curve is too freaking steep. For starters, it is a major annoyance. For relievers it is a disaster. You cannot convince me that Eck in real life was only at 70% after 16 pitches.

The sim is really deficient in so many ways and they are NEVER going to fix it.

That's why I'm leaving as soon as my credits are exhausted.

Hope this helps.

9/19/2016 10:28 AM
The beauty of live play is you get to see where pitchers fatigue, I usually play a couple live games with my teams before entering them in leagues for this purpose only. I know the whole JAVA thing sucks but there are ways around it if you really want to play. It has been very "educating" for me when it comes to pitchers and pitch counts. From my experience in live play there are only a handful of pitchers that can go past the 85 pitch mark without dropping below 90% (blue). Short inning guys hardly ever get past the 15 pitch mark and anyone with a RL IP/G under 1 won't get past the 10 pitch mark without becoming really fatigued. I translate the numbers I find in live play to the setting and it seems to work well for me.
9/20/2016 11:37 AM
I don't know of any way else to determine my needs and settings other than to take your advice and spend a few bucks and some time to collect the data,then apply the findings via live play. Elbirdo's pitch calculation is brilliant and I finally arrived at a solid understanding of the algorithm. But achieving desired results is based on a level SiM playing field, which we know is not. Thanks duece and elbirdo. Now to find a league... let's see... there's one. Hey you guys, wait up!
9/21/2016 8:05 AM
Call Bullpen Settings Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.