Legitimate...or No? Topic

I'm going to list the things that I think are completely legitimate points on which you may be angry & *****, then list the ones that I think are totally illegitimate. I am going to keep an open mind to allow myself to be persuaded to shift, add or delete items from this list.

Legitimate:
  1. New coaches to a world* must play season #1 without being able to recruit any of their own players.
  2. Early Entry victims will not be able to recruit adequate replacements in period #2.
  3. Preferences are a good concept, but may be too powerful and some functions poorly implemented [edited.]
  4. Hiding transfers at the start of period #2 is the wrong way to go.
  5. Puerto Rico cannot be scouted by any method.
  6. [Intentionally deleted]
  7. Asst. Coach cannot be sent to scout only for JuCo's or Transfers.
  8. Lack of a Developer Chat at rollout of the biggest update in over 6 years. [edited]
Minor / Trivial: [Edit: Used to be "Bitchy"]
  1. Assignment of players in recruiting is a "coin-flip"**
  2. I need to check every 6 hours during recruiting!
  3. Deletion of maxed emails on player improvement.
  4. Scouting level 1 is useless.
  5. Spud's red-light.
  6. Although Preferences are a bad concept, some complaints about specific functions...
  7. In-season recruiting is a terrible idea, pushed by users that had not given the issues serious thought.***
  8. Not liking the new "look" of the site.
  9. PBP was far more readable side by side and the home/away colors on text are not sufficient to help. [Demoted to Trivial...not OP's choice.]
* Note that coaches moving to a new job will move before the 2nd recruiting period and have some opportunity to rescind scholarships and recruit a few players.

** Although, I would agree that the range of teams that should be allowed in the assignment RNG should be very small and the probability weighted more heavily toward the effort winner.

*** This has always been my thought, I recognize it for what it is.
9/19/2016 3:03 PM (edited)
What is the purpose of this thread?
9/19/2016 11:13 AM
I can hardly wait for the latest forum s**t storm to begin here. Reading the forums has become like watching Jerry Springer: it's horrifying but some people can't help themselves. The vitriol became the deciding factor in my leave of absence.
9/19/2016 11:38 AM
The purpose is the opposite of what rsvphr mentions. People are starting turd-tornadoes for the purpose of starting turd-tornadoes. My goal is to attempt to focus the conversation in a way that will help the developers understand how to fix the rollout.

Here's my thought: (A) There was never any chance, once FOX decided to put the development time into this, that 3.0 wasn't going to be rolled out before the start of the RL college season; (B) It appears to me that the developer in charge of this rollout has been re-assigned or quit; (C) I'm hoping that someone is taking a fresh look at what has been rolled out and is trying to filter through some of the results to make decisions on what to fix.

There are plenty of usernames that have been obviously just venting and ******** for months. Some of it is legitimate; some is just ********. I'm hoping to create a handy road-map for whoever takes over the patching.
9/19/2016 11:49 AM
Of the legitimate list, IMO, it's down to 1, 4, 5, and 7.

2. This has been parsed endlessly on other threads. Gameplay will adjust, and in 2 seasons this will be largely irrelevant, as it will be far less common to see teams haul in 5-6 early entry caliber recruits in a class. Those coaches who don't adjust know the risk of relying on such players, are willfully engaging in a high-risk/high-reward strategy, and shouldn't be protected from those consequences.
3. Preferences are an excellent concept (excepting the play style preference, which actually is poorly implemented). They make the sim harder to game, and open it up for more fun for more players. See "bitchy" item 1. Preferences are the prime feature that moves recruiting away from a straight deterministic process to one based on probabilities.
6. Light years better on the phones. If anything, maybe offer a preference setting with old style for laptops and pcs.
9/19/2016 11:52 AM
Posted by rogelio on 9/19/2016 11:49:00 AM (view original):
The purpose is the opposite of what rsvphr mentions. People are starting turd-tornadoes for the purpose of starting turd-tornadoes. My goal is to attempt to focus the conversation in a way that will help the developers understand how to fix the rollout.

Here's my thought: (A) There was never any chance, once FOX decided to put the development time into this, that 3.0 wasn't going to be rolled out before the start of the RL college season; (B) It appears to me that the developer in charge of this rollout has been re-assigned or quit; (C) I'm hoping that someone is taking a fresh look at what has been rolled out and is trying to filter through some of the results to make decisions on what to fix.

There are plenty of usernames that have been obviously just venting and ******** for months. Some of it is legitimate; some is just ********. I'm hoping to create a handy road-map for whoever takes over the patching.
Well I hope you are correct. I wouldn't bet on it though.
9/19/2016 11:55 AM
The purpose seems to be for Rogelio to elevate the status of his opinions ... and denigrate those who disagree.
9/19/2016 11:59 AM
Thank you, shoe.

On EE, that's one position. I think it can be legitimately argued either way. (See how this works?) The other side is, if EE exists at all, then you're trying to allow for RL Kentucky/Duke type programs to exist in HD. You seem to agree that is not achieved as is. If admin chose to roll it out and "wait and see" whether you are correct, then that's fine, but this requires monitoring.

I could adjust the line on preferences. It will really depend on whether they determine outcomes. However, early on there was more "personality" in recruits. That "personality" had to be discovered through scouting. That "personality" was removed. Now it's back and even more powerful. However, it does all depend on how powerful those preferences are.

It is better to "look at" on phones, but the structure and fields do not track possession in any way. If the field colors were assigned to a team, then it would be clear when possession changed and would track even better.
9/19/2016 12:07 PM
I believe Puerto Rico recruits have been included as Internationals, so you can discover them like other recruits (at least it was in this last season in the BETA).
9/19/2016 12:23 PM (edited)
Posted by buddhagamer on 9/19/2016 12:23:00 PM (view original):
I believe Puerto Rico recruits have been included as Internationals, so you can discover them like other recruits (at least it was in this last season in the BETA).
Can anyone confirm this? I checked my scouting histories, but those only show PR recruits that are TOP 100 or attended a camp. I used scouting service INTL.
9/19/2016 12:32 PM
rogelio- I never doubted your purpose. It's well organized. I agree with some and disagree with others. I'm just saying the trend has become predictable. I'm rooting for this to be a cordial exchange of opinions. Since I've chosen to go on long term Sabbatical, I reserve comment.
9/19/2016 1:00 PM
I love the PBP, so much easier to follow the game chronologically now...
9/19/2016 1:00 PM
Coin flip concern is legitimate, and preferences are a good-ish idea poorly implemented.

We have all these detailed likes and dislikes for players now, but they have no school preferences coming into the recruiting process? Come on. Players should enter recruiting with an existing top 5 or 10 that includes humans. Major missed opportunity.

WIS has simultaneously made recruiting more labor intensive -- you do have to pay attention to preferences -- and luck based at the end of the day. Doesn't seem fun to me.
9/19/2016 1:12 PM
Posted by crabman26 on 9/19/2016 1:00:00 PM (view original):
I love the PBP, so much easier to follow the game chronologically now...
I disagree. New PBP feels like a half-court layout. Tough to follow. (And I generally really like the new layout.)
9/19/2016 1:13 PM

Assignment of players in recruiting is a "coin-flip"**

How is this on the trivial list? This is one of my biggest issues with the new recruiting mechanism. There are probably 50% of the coaches or more who feel the same way. Just because you happen to fall in the group that doesn't see this as a problem doesn't mean it isn't a meaningful concern. It represents a massive functional change in the way the game works and not inherently for the better. If you have a tightish battle on a guy who wants to sign late you have no idea whether or not you need to be signing someone else. At D2 and D3, this may be fine, as there will likely be an adequate backup option late, especially with the world populations plummeting. In D1 this can be almost as big an issue as EEs, as teams losing on a late signing won't have a lot of backup options. If they had, say, a 75-90% chance of signing the guy, you could argue they did everything right and still wind up with a glaring hole 10-25% of the time. And the guy who shouldn't have been messing around in that battle or didn't commit adequately to win gets rewarded for that?

I can see how some people see a little extra indeterminacy encouraging more battles as a good thing. But I certainly don't view it as a feature. I prefer a game where doing the right things rewards the users as often as possible. There's already plenty of randomness in this game within the simulations themselves. How often do you think the best team wins the title? Maybe 20/25% of the time? So now the best recruiting jobs won't even lead to the best teams? I don't see that as an improvement. And for me it's certainly not an insignificant or "trivial" problem.
9/19/2016 1:24 PM
123 Next ▸
Legitimate...or No? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.