Speed and D Linemen Topic

Is it important?

Thoughts?
9/19/2016 3:45 PM
I have heard some people talk about converting a LB to a speedy DL, and having him become a pass rushing maniac.
9/19/2016 3:50 PM
Has no effect imo
9/19/2016 6:11 PM
Speed has no significant impact on DL performance.
9/20/2016 12:48 PM
I don't see it. Then what do I know ? (shark; not an envelope :)
9/20/2016 2:56 PM
I think it depends on the other core values the LB has. Kas1007 always has a lightning fast DL to contend with in Yost, and turned me on to this for my teams. I won't do it in D1, but I usually have 1 LB that I will convert for my D2 and D1AA teams.

While not all become stars, some do and sometimes you can find find great alternatives if you find yourself late in recruiting needing a DL. You just need to make sure the guy had pretty good T and GI, since you'll lose a good chunk in those attributes during the transition.

Not a bad thing to experiment with on occasion.
9/21/2016 6:57 PM
To answer your question directly, speed has little to no impact.

Chet - I have been converting LB to DL for over 20 seasons here with my Tenn Tech team. Never to make up my core DL starters, but to add depth at times (I'm notorious for always having too few DL, remember?). You are correct about the conversion as well. I would hint though that I'm certain it's a certain other attribute which makes them more effective as DL, not speed. Kas started doing this when he saw that I was having some success with it in Yost and Wilk.. sounds like he focused you on the wrong attribute though.
9/22/2016 1:00 PM
hmmmm interesting guys thanks!!
9/22/2016 4:54 PM
I figure if it is a factor the right conversion can pau dividend and it has for the most part. I do have the single player Yost int Record some one must have been putting pressure on the QB to get the ball out. My losses come from Inadequate Game Planning. Op I very Well may have got it from you I remember wondering how a guy had such fast DL's players I have also moved a few DB's to LB but as Chet said it has to be the right player.
9/22/2016 9:48 PM
In the old engine LB that were converted would often get INTs or Pick up fumbles and return them I always that that might be the Speed factor.
9/22/2016 9:52 PM
I have converted several. It works well at D1aa and below, where they have a chance to gain back the tackling they lose. In those cases I have had them become very good. Does not work so well in D1, imo.
9/23/2016 10:57 AM
Speed and D Linemen Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.