A downside on preferences Topic

So in Smith I have been messing around in non-conf trying to get a "balanced offense".

The result as of this morning. Neutral for both "perimeter" and "paint" offenses.

Turns out the most balanced offense is the LEAST desired because you will not get a positive preference on ANY recruit for that category.
9/21/2016 8:11 AM
Posted by mullycj on 9/21/2016 8:11:00 AM (view original):
So in Smith I have been messing around in non-conf trying to get a "balanced offense".

The result as of this morning. Neutral for both "perimeter" and "paint" offenses.

Turns out the most balanced offense is the LEAST desired because you will not get a positive preference on ANY recruit for that category.
True .. but there is also no negatives for one or the other either.
9/21/2016 8:27 AM
There is NEVER a negative for play style preferences
9/21/2016 8:28 AM
Posted by mullycj on 9/21/2016 8:28:00 AM (view original):
There is NEVER a negative for play style preferences
Yes there is.
9/21/2016 8:45 AM
+1 there is a negative.
9/21/2016 9:03 AM
Posted by chapelhillne on 9/21/2016 9:03:00 AM (view original):
+1 there is a negative.
I've run into a couple of them while recruiting with Rutgers in Wooden. They seem to be few and far between but they do exist.
9/21/2016 9:42 AM
Agreed with the others. Multipliers for preferences are on a sliding scale from negative to positive so even though you're "neutral" you could still be getting a positive multiplier and the reverse is true as well.

I think the only "fixed" multipliers are for offensive and defensive set preferences.
9/21/2016 9:43 AM
Mully - you've only played 4 games in Smith. Play style preferences don't kick in for awhile. I think mine in Allen didn't start to change until around game 8 maybe? Something like that.

So yeah, you'll start to see some of the play styles be negative, for sure. But agree, that perimeter and paint are on opposite ends of the spectum. But, you could run a paint offense, uptempo and have great defense and you'd have 3 out of 4 as Good or VG.
9/21/2016 10:00 AM
@Benis - this is correct, but 23 games into my season in Knight and I am still neutral in both perimeter and paint. I still suspect I'm better in one area than the other though and that I'm getting a slightly positive multiplier for that play style as a result.

Theoretically, one could be "neutral" in say perimeter but on the very high end of the neutral. If that's the case the multiplier is going to be close to someone listed as VG in perimeter but who is on the low end of VG.
9/21/2016 10:12 AM
Posted by possumfiend on 9/21/2016 10:12:00 AM (view original):
@Benis - this is correct, but 23 games into my season in Knight and I am still neutral in both perimeter and paint. I still suspect I'm better in one area than the other though and that I'm getting a slightly positive multiplier for that play style as a result.

Theoretically, one could be "neutral" in say perimeter but on the very high end of the neutral. If that's the case the multiplier is going to be close to someone listed as VG in perimeter but who is on the low end of VG.
You're shooting just about 31% of your shots from 3. So if our educated guess of 30-35% equaling neutral is correct, then I'd say you're right on the border of being a Bad preference there.

I'm still not sure about the paint offense. Is it just non 3s or is it really points in the paint? If it's PIP then there's really no easy way to get that info. Would have to go through every box score, right?
9/21/2016 10:18 AM
Well it's also assuming that perimeter only accounts for 3s. Has that been established? Or is it based on Points in the Paint vs. points outside the paint?

To my larger point though, and I didn't mean it specifically in reference to my team, a neutral rating at the high end of the range could still be getting a multiplier effect very close to someone listed VG but on the low end of the range. Agreed?
9/21/2016 10:26 AM
Posted by Benis on 9/21/2016 10:00:00 AM (view original):
Mully - you've only played 4 games in Smith. Play style preferences don't kick in for awhile. I think mine in Allen didn't start to change until around game 8 maybe? Something like that.

So yeah, you'll start to see some of the play styles be negative, for sure. But agree, that perimeter and paint are on opposite ends of the spectum. But, you could run a paint offense, uptempo and have great defense and you'd have 3 out of 4 as Good or VG.
1) That is not correct. My playing style preferences are already there after day 1. See below.
2) I will repeat , you can NEVER have a negative on playing style preferences. They are EITHER positive or neutral. You BETA guys should know this. I challenge you to go back to the BETA and find 1 negative playing style recruit.
Wants to Play
Neutral
Far From Home
Neutral
Wants Success
Very Good
Strong Defense
Good
No Preference
-
Fullcourt Press
Neutral
No Preference
-
No Preference
-
By End Of Period 1
No Preference
-
No Preference
-
Wants Success
Very Good
Strong Defense
Good
Flex
Very Good
No Preference
-
No Preference
-
No Preference
-
By End Of Period 1
9/21/2016 10:38 AM
Since this is a thread about preferences let me ask this, if a player has a preference of wanting to sign by the end of period 1, is there any chance that he "doesn't" sign and thus becomes available for a D2 coach to attempt to sign? Or will he simply sign with whatever team is leading on his considering list at the end of the first signing period? Anyone help?

I guess another way of asking is this, if I'm a D2 coach looking to sign D1 players, is there any reason to look at any other players than those whose preferences are Late or Whenever?
9/21/2016 10:40 AM
I guess another way of asking is this, if I'm a D2 coach looking to sign D1 players, is there any reason to look at any other players than those whose preferences are Late or Whenever?

Well if there is an end of period 1 player with no DI team as high he will sign in period 2
9/21/2016 10:43 AM
They do carry over to the 2nd period if no D1 team reaches H on them in the first session.
9/21/2016 10:43 AM
1234 Next ▸
A downside on preferences Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.