A downside on preferences Topic

thanks and thanks
9/27/2016 7:37 PM
Posted by Benis on 9/27/2016 6:57:00 PM (view original):
I'm pretty sure it's running uptempo- i.e. possessions per game.

Mully-

I've run uptempo FB for my CNU team for 5 games and I'm Very Good on fast tempo. I've averaged 86 possessions per game.

I'm assuming you're talking about your Wisconsin team? Looks like you're averaging 70 possessions per game. So not sure where the cut off is exactly but maybe you need to A) play more teams who go fast (which you can't control really) or B) play fastbreak. If you can't get to Very Good in any other offense than FB, that kinda sucks.

Edit- I just checked on my beta team stats. I only went uptempo with my FB team on half the games and averaged 73 possessions a game and I was Good on Fast Tempo.
Benis - wouldn't possessions per game be faulty logic since half of that equation is determined by the opponent??

If I run uptempo and opponent runs slow down I will never get to the style preference. The preferences should be based on my offensive choice ONLY.
I sent a ticket to delve into this question/issue.
10/4/2016 10:14 AM
Posted by mullycj on 10/4/2016 10:14:00 AM (view original):

Mully-

I've run uptempo FB for my CNU team for 5 games and I'm Very Good on fast tempo. I've averaged 86 possessions per game.

I'm assuming you're talking about your Wisconsin team? Looks like you're averaging 70 possessions per game. So not sure where the cut off is exactly but maybe you need to A) play more teams who go fast (which you can't control really) or B) play fastbreak. If you can't get to Very Good in any other offense than FB, that kinda sucks.

Edit- I just checked on my beta team stats. I only went uptempo with my FB team on half the games and averaged 73 possessions a game and I was Good on Fast Tempo.
Benis - wouldn't possessions per game be faulty logic since half of that equation is determined by the opponent??

If I run uptempo and opponent runs slow down I will never get to the style preference. The preferences should be based on my offensive choice ONLY.
Right on. WIS will have no clear answer to your ticket. The concept of style preference is fatally flawed as currently written.
10/4/2016 10:17 AM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 10/4/2016 10:17:00 AM (view original):

Mully-

Right on. WIS will have no clear answer to your ticket. The concept of style preference is fatally flawed as currently written.
Yup, don't disagree with you. I'd think you could just go by what settings you have for tempo. They do the same thing for what O/D you run.

But yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of the play style preferences right now. I get the idea behind it but I'd change them around a bit. I do like the strong def, that makes sense. But you should also have high powered offense. Who cares if it's perimeter or in the paint scoring? Just that you score a lot of points (or ppp whichever the way you wanna measure it). That should a style preference. And theoretically, a team could be good in both strong def and offense if based upon tempo free stats.
10/4/2016 10:49 AM
My Wisconsin Stout team in Phelan is currently neutral in paint, and good in perimeter. So there must be some overlapping ground, or they use separate metrics. 37% of our shots are 3pa.
10/4/2016 12:04 PM (edited)
Up to 31% of shots are 3pters and still neutral on perimeter. I bet very few humans still take that many 3pt shots.
10/5/2016 9:20 AM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 10/4/2016 10:17:00 AM (view original):

Mully-

FYI - passed on my belief that "uptempo" preference should be based on % of games my team starts the game with an uptempo offense.

That keeps items out of my control (ie opponent's tempo) from affecting the rating.
10/7/2016 3:43 PM
My Arkansas team just 2 games into season.
42% of shots from the perimeter and ONLY "GOOD" for perimeter rating.

That's INSANE!! VERY FEW teams shoot anything close to 40% on this game.

CS needs to tone these down IMO.
10/9/2016 10:15 AM
Explain to me how this makes any sense. I've played 22 game so far this season in Smith, and have run uptempo in 19 of them and yet I am still "Neutral" for the Preference for Fast Tempo. I understand it is likely based on possessions per game or something of the sort, on which I'm just below 70, but why have a play preference that essentially is nothing more than a double down on playing fast break?

As mentioned in the previous post, the metrics by which these preferences are measured make absolutely no sense.
10/9/2016 7:34 PM
Send a ticket
After about 100 they may START to listen
10/9/2016 7:36 PM
I'm coming around to having high bars for "very good". *If* style preferences are going to be part of the game - I'm still not convinced it's a good idea, and it's my least favorite part of 3.0 - it does make sense to ensure that a team is sold out on the style, not just gaming it to get a recruiting advantage.
10/9/2016 7:47 PM
◂ Prev 1234
A downside on preferences Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.