A downside on preferences Topic

Posted by darnoc29099 on 9/25/2016 12:09:00 PM (view original):
Posted by CoachSpud on 9/25/2016 11:44:00 AM (view original):
"... sacrifice a few games to alter their gameplans ..."

For a slight nudge on one or two preferences? At the expense of wins? And at the expense of a slight lowering of preference for success? And for a slight lowering of team prestige? Sounds penny wise and pound foolish to me. And some of the "cures" presented in this thread, making things worse overall while attempting to cure a problem that may or may not exist ... I don't think Seble is going to go for any of that.
It's already been shown in Knight and Wooden teams with mediocre/bad prestiges that match up well in preferences have a definite advantage over much higher prestige teams with meh preferences. Given you can do most of your scouting by the third or fourth game of the season, it's very easy to get your top targets and gameplan in such a way to give you the best match ups with preferences for your top recruits. Again, prestige means much less in 3.0 especially compared to preferences. I'm not saying you do this year in and year out, but if your taking over a brand new team, this is absolutely how you would turn your team around quickly. Remember, prestige in a full rebuild isn't going to go up much (if at all) in the first couple of seasons while you weed out the awful sim recruits. A few extra wins in year 1 won't mean anything 3 and 4 seasons down the road.
Yeah exactly. If you take over a team and cut half the players, you're not going to win anyway. Who cares if you lose by 20 or 40. It's the same. So might as well tank and works towards a better rebuild than try to scrap together a couple more wins.
9/25/2016 12:36 PM

No one is denying that preference matchups are almost as important as prestige if they really match up. And sure, "take over a team and cut half your players," but that is a far cry from doing this on any sort of regular basis, isn't it?
9/25/2016 5:19 PM
Yeah no one said it'd be on a regular basis. Pretty sure Darnoc clearly said when a team is in a rebuild.
9/25/2016 6:26 PM
True enough. Somebody put an asterisk on this thread, we all agree!
9/25/2016 8:27 PM
Posted by CoachSpud on 9/25/2016 11:44:00 AM (view original):
"... sacrifice a few games to alter their gameplans ..."

For a slight nudge on one or two preferences? At the expense of wins? And at the expense of a slight lowering of preference for success? And for a slight lowering of team prestige? Sounds penny wise and pound foolish to me. And some of the "cures" presented in this thread, making things worse overall while attempting to cure a problem that may or may not exist ... I don't think Seble is going to go for any of that.
i have been a big fan of enhanced preferences for about 8 years, but including game settings in the preferences seems to me to be a terrible idea, because of course people will adjust their in-season playing style to match the preferences of quality targets. why wouldn't you? the entire defense switch, now that can be fairly nasty, but the rest are fairly easy to game. in the olden days, draft picks were based on player stats, as one would logically assume. after some time, all the best players were riding the bench, or not playing at all, and certainly not shooting. come NT, they would be at 20 ppg. if folks will not play their top 3 players to avoid the draft, for an entire regular season, you don't think they'd shoot a few extra 3s?
9/26/2016 7:26 PM
Posted by CoachSpud on 9/25/2016 8:27:00 PM (view original):
True enough. Somebody put an asterisk on this thread, we all agree!
sorry, but you guys are generally far less aggressive than me at gaming the system, so maybe you guys agree, but certainly i don't. i don't play, or i probably would be quiet about it - as most folks currently attempting to game the system in this manner are doing. granted, i have been retired for like... 3 weeks... so i may be getting rusty already. but the idea that you can't game tempo or how many 3s you take, without tanking your season, its laughable. hell, i started a couple freshman half my seasons over the last couple years. i did that while severely stunting growth on my draftable players. and, i still pulled more #1 overall seeds than not, almost always hitting a 1 seed of some kind - and that is with my stance of not giving a **** about the regular season, i was trying to win titles, but was absolutely not trying to pull 1 seeds. comparing manipulating tempo, to not playing your studs for the whole season to manipulate stats (back in the day), or to starting 2 freshman and a ****** soph all year for growth, or to avoiding 25 points of core rating growth in two studs per season to keep them an extra season - well, there is no comparison. manipulating your regular season tempo is infinitely easier. you guys are not thinking nearly savvy enough.
9/26/2016 7:31 PM
running the **** out of uptempo and still cant get uptempo preference.
fking awesome seble!!
9/27/2016 11:43 AM
Mully, I've seen your up tempo and your fat kids just look to the sim like a normal tempo ......
9/27/2016 11:53 AM
I love the idea of people being able to change their game plans to try and appeal to certain recruits. How is this not realistic? The thing I like MOST about 3.0 is that is adds so many MORE strategies and options to the game.
9/27/2016 12:34 PM
Posted by zags27 on 9/27/2016 11:53:00 AM (view original):
Mully, I've seen your up tempo and your fat kids just look to the sim like a normal tempo ......
Uhmmm...that was ME you saw running!
9/27/2016 12:35 PM
Posted by mullycj on 9/27/2016 11:43:00 AM (view original):
running the **** out of uptempo and still cant get uptempo preference.
fking awesome seble!!
Do we know that running uptempo is what drives the preference? Or is it something like shots per game?
9/27/2016 6:02 PM
I'm pretty sure it's running uptempo- i.e. possessions per game.

Mully-

I've run uptempo FB for my CNU team for 5 games and I'm Very Good on fast tempo. I've averaged 86 possessions per game.

I'm assuming you're talking about your Wisconsin team? Looks like you're averaging 70 possessions per game. So not sure where the cut off is exactly but maybe you need to A) play more teams who go fast (which you can't control really) or B) play fastbreak. If you can't get to Very Good in any other offense than FB, that kinda sucks.

Edit- I just checked on my beta team stats. I only went uptempo with my FB team on half the games and averaged 73 possessions a game and I was Good on Fast Tempo.
9/27/2016 6:55 PM
Benis - whats an easy way to calc my posessions per game?
9/27/2016 7:12 PM
FGA + (FTA * .475) + TO - OR

9/27/2016 7:17 PM
9/27/2016 7:18 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
A downside on preferences Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.