Trying to understand Topic

Ok don't want this to be a bash 3.0 thread but so far I am not a fan. I have another season reserved because I want to enjoy it . My feeling is that now it is more complicated and perhaps it didn't need to be. What I am hearing is that it was done to help DI smaller schools be more competitive which could have been accomplished by lowering the effect of prestige. I also heard it was about the effect of a last moment rush on a player, which some call poaching, which might have been accomplished by limiting the effort that could be put into a player in any one cycle,

Edit: What I would like to ask is if you do like it why was a more complicated scouting and recruiting system needed?

What does it do to enhance the game that could not have been accomplished with a simpler system?
9/23/2016 7:42 AM (edited)
BTW I am not looking to argue with anyone's points. Just looking for a different take on things to maybe help me see something I am missing. I do think when a game gets more complicated it tends to loose more casual players like me. It happened to HBD which needed to contract worlds because it is a complicated game.
9/23/2016 7:45 AM
Hey Cricket - I see you are at D3. I will site mail you with some ideas. I'd also sitemail Benis because he was more involved at D3 in Beta than I was.
9/23/2016 8:10 AM (edited)
Basically Seble wanted to make scouting more involved and add more strategy to it and add some 'realism'. Spacing all the scouting and recruiting out for the entire season is an attempt to make the game more interactive during the season and give the player something to do beyond just gameplanning.

Not saying this accomplishes the objectives but that's what he said he was going for.
9/23/2016 8:09 AM
So far, I haven't found it that much more time consuming at all because scouting and recruiting don't need to happen immediately. I'm still not a fan of the new scouting process, but there are ways to do it quickly and efficiently. I like the new recruiting process for the most part,, especially recruiting throughout the season.

I don't see how it has to be super-time consuming when you are basically just placing attention points on a player and leaving them there if you want (though you have the option to increase or decrease them). I missed 3 days of checking in to this game due to a trip last weekend, and it didn't negatively affect me a whole lot.

A lot of coaches are missing how attention points work, and therefore spending way too much time on recruiting assigning and re-assigning attention points over and over again. Recruiting isn't really that time consuming IMO. Scouting can be, but if you just hold your own camp and then do some assistant searches, you end up being able to look at good info on many recruits. (FSS seems to be the crappiest option in this new game IMO, and some coaches might be frustrated by that as well)

The biggest problem is seble disappearing after releasing the beta because the process of learning how to use some parts of the scouting/recruiting processes are not intuitive, and due to the bad reputation on the forums of 3.0, many don't have the patience to learn how to play the new game efficiently. If this game had a "tutorial mode" that could be clicked "on/off", that would help some folks a lot IMO.

Those who want to learn the new game.....reading chapelhill's post should really help. I think many have already assumed and/or decided that it is a disaster though.

I'm also not saying 3.0 is a huge improvement either....but I don't think it makes the game worse (unless a huge percent of the humans leave). Again, a dev chat would be nice, but Seble seems to be awol, so that hurts.

9/23/2016 8:31 AM
Posted by bbunch on 9/23/2016 8:31:00 AM (view original):
So far, I haven't found it that much more time consuming at all because scouting and recruiting don't need to happen immediately. I'm still not a fan of the new scouting process, but there are ways to do it quickly and efficiently. I like the new recruiting process for the most part,, especially recruiting throughout the season.

I don't see how it has to be super-time consuming when you are basically just placing attention points on a player and leaving them there if you want (though you have the option to increase or decrease them). I missed 3 days of checking in to this game due to a trip last weekend, and it didn't negatively affect me a whole lot.

A lot of coaches are missing how attention points work, and therefore spending way too much time on recruiting assigning and re-assigning attention points over and over again. Recruiting isn't really that time consuming IMO. Scouting can be, but if you just hold your own camp and then do some assistant searches, you end up being able to look at good info on many recruits. (FSS seems to be the crappiest option in this new game IMO, and some coaches might be frustrated by that as well)

The biggest problem is seble disappearing after releasing the beta because the process of learning how to use some parts of the scouting/recruiting processes are not intuitive, and due to the bad reputation on the forums of 3.0, many don't have the patience to learn how to play the new game efficiently. If this game had a "tutorial mode" that could be clicked "on/off", that would help some folks a lot IMO.

Those who want to learn the new game.....reading chapelhill's post should really help. I think many have already assumed and/or decided that it is a disaster though.

I'm also not saying 3.0 is a huge improvement either....but I don't think it makes the game worse (unless a huge percent of the humans leave). Again, a dev chat would be nice, but Seble seems to be awol, so that hurts.

Big +1.
9/23/2016 8:44 AM
Posted by bbunch on 9/23/2016 8:31:00 AM (view original):

"The biggest problem is seble disappearing after releasing the beta because the process of learning how to use some parts of the scouting/recruiting processes are not intuitive, and due to the bad reputation on the forums of 3.0, many don't have the patience to learn how to play the new game efficiently. If this game had a "tutorial mode" that could be clicked "on/off", that would help some folks a lot IMO. "

They actually did just post they're having a dev chat next week but I agree with this 1000%. They just said, here you go! and let the users create guides and help each other out on what to do. In the words of AVGN "what were they thinking??"

not sure if there were things that happened that were out of their control but they should have INCREASED communication and support right before and during the roll out. Glad they're doing the dev chat now at least.
9/23/2016 8:50 AM
"it's more time consuming" is pretty much everybody's initial reaction, mine included, but after just one season of the beta, i found this wasn't really the case. you just have to give it a chance. once you learn the basics, it really does not take any more time at all.
9/23/2016 12:00 PM
How can IT NOT take any more time???

Old system ~ buy states.....THAT"S IT
How can you argue that everything you do/click in this new system doesn't take more time?
I find this argument absurd.

If you want to argue it doesn't take too much time, that's a different story. But to try and say the scouting/evaluation of recruits takes no more time than the old system is just ...
9/23/2016 12:22 PM (edited)
note that i absolutely didn't say it was "no more complex." your words, not mine.

my first season in the beta i was very overwhelmed. i thought scouting was garbage and a MASSIVE increase to the time required to play the game. i also said, I plan on dropping all my teams except 1. BUT i got used to the layout, found some shortcuts here and there, and i used some of chapel's scouting suggestions. it helped. i have found the increased time to play the game is pretty marginal now. if i were one of those coaches that had 10 teams, it might be a bit much, sure. i might cut it back by a team or two then. this is just my experience though.

i really think a lot of people freaking out in their first season will get used to it in a season or two.

honestly, a lot of the griping i see on the CCs is just people who went in having skipped the beta and read nothing and now are just ranting. those people deserve to get waxed in recruiting by cornell ;)
9/23/2016 12:16 PM
"it really does not take any more time at all."

Is that not your quote?

(changed my post to match your quote)
9/23/2016 12:23 PM (edited)
in what world does "it really does not take any more time at all" equate to "no more complex"? they are completely different statements. they have different meanings.
9/23/2016 12:19 PM
I did my 5 seasons of BETA and am in season #1 in Smith. It is a lot more labor intensive. I don't mind that because it is spread out.

What I DO mind is the idea that after all that research/work/strategy you can get screwed when the RNG determines a "high" team just beat out my "very high" team.
9/23/2016 12:22 PM
I like the new recruiting and scouting. It takes as much time as the previous version.
9/23/2016 12:23 PM
I got D3 scouting done in less than 30 minutes this morning, after Phelan opened up last night. FSS>camps, wait for camps to run (I'd only do a private camp at D3), then flag players that look interesting with good preference profiles, and scout them up one level at a time. 30 minutes, and I've got 18 targets for 2 openings, and 6k left to use as necessary, if I need to and/or feel like it. FWIW, it was uncommon for me to spend less than 30 minutes in 2.0 deciding what states to scout (needed to worry about how many level appropriate recruits there were), what prospects to go after, not to mention pouring through those asinine scouting reports that kept giving you the same info, and you never had the full picture in one place.

Agree with bathtubhippo. The first season is all adjustment. It gets better from there.
9/23/2016 12:27 PM
123 Next ▸
Trying to understand Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.