RIP Jose Fernandez, the cokehead Topic

9/26/2016 2:08 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
PDB FBD
9/26/2016 3:48 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 9/26/2016 3:48:00 PM (view original):
I'll admit to a little bit of surprise and angst when the bulletin ran along the bottom of the screen. I wondered whether he was an innocent victim of a collision or accident in the morning hours, maybe slipping and falling.

Then I found out that "morning hours" meant 3:00am, and the boat was likely speeding when it hit the rocks in the dark.

Then I said HGWHD.
Elguapo is going to lump you as an idiot now.....he wasn't boating at 3 AM, his body was found at 3 AM

get your facts straight and show the proper respect
9/26/2016 3:50 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 9/26/2016 3:53:00 PM (view original):
From the Miami Herald: Authorities said Sunday during a news conference that the boat involved in the fatal Sunday morning crash belonged to “a friend of José’s who is very well connected to several Marlins players.” Investigators say the boat, Kaught Looking, was heading south around 3:15 a.m. at full speed when it struck the north Government Cut jetty, flipped and killed all three men on board.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/miami-beach/article104261146.html#storylink=cpy

Perhaps you should get your facts straight before castigating someone.
Did you not read the first page?
9/26/2016 4:16 PM
I don't get the mass mourning of a collective stranger myself, but at least Fernandez seemed like a pretty decent guy.

The whole country mourned Michael Jackson for what felt like forever. I don't care what you think he really did or didn't do with kids, or how much you blame on his Dad and tough childhood, there's really no version of the guy you would think of as a good dude.
9/26/2016 4:29 PM
You sound like an old dude. Tell us how you were happy to walk 6 miles uphill in the snow to get to school. Barefoot.
9/26/2016 4:30 PM
The world thought it was flame throwing reliever Mike Jackson, that's why....the world loves it's baseball stars.
9/26/2016 4:34 PM
Also, it has nothing to do with being talented and everything to do with being famous. How many of you know that Ahmed Zewail died last month? He was undoubtedly one of the most brilliant living scientists. He won a Nobel Prize for the development of ultrafast spectroscopy, which is now the most important tool for studying chemical reactions and interfacial processes and is ubiquitous in chemistry and physics research. He was a serious candidate for a second prize a few years back for development of 4-dimensional spectroscopies.

Since nobody outside of science really identifies with ultrafast spectroscopies, how about Irwin Hahn? He died last week. How many of you knew that? Irwin Hahn discovered the spin-echo in the '50s. That led to the development of modern NMR technologies, which are also ubiquitous in chemical characterization and arguably the most important characterization technique for synthetic chemists. Still esoteric, even though materials developed with assistance of numerous NMR characteristics are all around, including within the laptops, tablets, and smartphones we view this site with. But the same technology was also adapted for MRI. And who doesn't know someone who's had an MRI? How many lives have been extended by the results of MRI scans?

I guarantee you that any Kardashian death would elicit orders of magnitude more sadness and feeling of loss from the general American public than Irwin Hahn's. Nothing to do with talent. All about being famous.
9/26/2016 4:48 PM
Good lord. 10 WifS users died reading that post. Pour one out for them.
9/26/2016 4:52 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...11 Next ▸
RIP Jose Fernandez, the cokehead Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.