Flat/Sale tax instead of Income tax Topic

Posted by bad_luck on 9/29/2016 1:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/29/2016 1:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/29/2016 1:26:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 9/29/2016 12:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/29/2016 12:28:00 PM (view original):
Every dollar made would be taxed equally. It's hard to say that's "unfair", no?
It's been pointed out several times that what is and isn't fair can't be measured objectively.

But, whether or not that is fair is beside the point. todd says that calling for fair share is just a way for democrats to get dumb people to vote democrat (paraphrasing). I'd argue the same can be said for republicans calling for a fair flat tax. Or a fair sales tax.
I didn't ask about "fair".

I asked if every dollar being taxed equally could be qualified as "unfair"?

Answer the ******* question. I don't give a **** what todd posted. Answer the question asked.
To put this in perspective for you, if I want a $1 Snickers bar, it's $1. If Trump or Hillary want a $1 Snickers bar, it's still $1. Is that unfair?
I'm not arguing what is and isn't fair. There is no objective standard for fairness.

Im arguing that both parties use "fair" as a way to get votes.

A point that I'm like 99% certain you agree with, since you're the one who brought it up.
For ****'s sake. I'm not asking about "fair".

I'm asking if every dollar made is taxed 22 cents, is that unfair? If so, how? Since everyone pays $1 for a $ Snickers bar. I don't pay 88 cents and Trump doesn't pay $279. We pay $1.
9/29/2016 1:37 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
FWIW, I know why you won't answer. Fair is subjective. So is unfair but, in the scenario I laid out, it is pretty clear cut.

Goods cost everyone the same. There is no adjustment based on income.
Taxes do not work that way. Or want them to work less that way. So you can't argue that a flat tax or sales tax is unfair. It may or may not affect different levels of income differently but it is not "unfair".
9/29/2016 1:40 PM
If I was retarded, I probably wouldn't know. Just like you're the least self-aware individual on this site. If you had any self-awareness, you'd know it.
9/29/2016 1:42 PM
So are you suggesting taxes be capped? That seems odd coming from you.
9/29/2016 1:50 PM
You said it was unfair for me to 9k a year and Jim to pay 300k a year in taxes. Do you want me to pay 300k a year(I can't) or Jim to pay 9k a year so it's fair?
9/29/2016 1:58 PM
I believe PSBL made his definition of fair taxes very clear a couple of years ago when he insisted that we should tax the rich at a higher rate because they could afford it. I believe the discussion threw around "marginal value" of money around a lot.
9/29/2016 2:09 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 9/29/2016 2:09:00 PM (view original):
I believe PSBL made his definition of fair taxes very clear a couple of years ago when he insisted that we should tax the rich at a higher rate because they could afford it. I believe the discussion threw around "marginal value" of money around a lot.
Has nothing to do with fairness. We need X amount of dollars. It makes most sense to collect the majority of X from upper incomes.
9/29/2016 2:14 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 9/29/2016 2:14:00 PM (view original):
Has nothing to do with fairness. We need X amount of dollars. It makes most sense to collect the majority of X from upper incomes.
Look what I found.

https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=477077&threadID=10491442#l_10491442
9/29/2016 2:19 PM
If mike makes $90,000 a year and pays $9000 in taxes, is it fair that Jim, who makes $3,000,000 a year pays that same $9,000 in taxes? I'm sure Mike would say no. Jim, on the other hand would probably say yes. Some would say that everyone paying X amount in taxes, regardless of what they make is fair. Everyone pays the same. Some would say paying a certain percentage of what you make in taxes every year is fair, others would say that's not fair. Its very subjective and someone is always going to say its not fair regardless of what way taxes are figured.
9/29/2016 2:23 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 9/29/2016 2:14:00 PM (view original):
Well, if I'm paying 9k based on my tiny income and Jim is paying 300k based on his huge income, aren't we collecting the majority from Jim's income bracket with a flat tax? I'm no math wiz but I think Jim is paying 291k more than me.
9/29/2016 2:23 PM
Well, not really, but let's say I did. I was wrong to tie it to fairness. Fairness is not the way to go.
9/29/2016 2:24 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 9/29/2016 2:23:00 PM (view original):
If mike makes $90,000 a year and pays $9000 in taxes, is it fair that Jim, who makes $3,000,000 a year pays that same $9,000 in taxes? I'm sure Mike would say no. Jim, on the other hand would probably say yes. Some would say that everyone paying X amount in taxes, regardless of what they make is fair. Everyone pays the same. Some would say paying a certain percentage of what you make in taxes every year is fair, others would say that's not fair. Its very subjective and someone is always going to say its not fair regardless of what way taxes are figured.
This
9/29/2016 2:26 PM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11|12...17 Next ▸
Flat/Sale tax instead of Income tax Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.