Please define what playing competitively means Topic

oops...wrong button
9/28/2016 11:33 AM
Posted by dacj501 on 9/27/2016 7:43:00 PM (view original):

HD is now in the dedicated hands of two veteran WIS employees: redhawk_514 and cwisniewski. Both have been competitively playing HD for years

redhawk career: 1241-1432 (0.464), 11 Conference Champs. 0 Nat'l Champs.
cwisniewski: 276-452 (0.379), 2, 0.
Yes, because WIS employees are not allowed to actually try to win their conference, etc.

They have teams in worlds to make sure things go as planned, not be competitive. It would be quite unfair for those who know the exact programming of the game to compete with people who do not have that knowledge.
9/28/2016 11:54 AM
Posted by hughesjr on 9/28/2016 11:54:00 AM (view original):

HD is now in the dedicated hands of two veteran WIS employees: redhawk_514 and cwisniewski. Both have been competitively playing HD for years

Yes, because WIS employees are not allowed to actually try to win their conference, etc.

They have teams in worlds to make sure things go as planned, not be competitive. It would be quite unfair for those who know the exact programming of the game to compete with people who do not have that knowledge.
source?
9/28/2016 1:23 PM

And this is a good thing given the snafu that was Notre Dame and GD years ago.
9/28/2016 2:09 PM
Posted by rednu on 9/28/2016 2:09:00 PM (view original):

Exactly
9/28/2016 3:33 PM
https://www.whatifsports.com/gd/TeamProfile/History.aspx?tid=51466

Northern Iowa, Leahy. 21 consecutive 0-13 seasons. An achievement in itself.
9/29/2016 12:39 AM
Posted by shoe3 on 9/28/2016 10:43:00 AM (view original):
Posted by cubcub113 on 9/27/2016 8:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by vandydave on 9/27/2016 7:46:00 PM (view original):
The changes toward randomness and parity were made to allow wis staff to finally be able to be competitive at their own game.
Do you think they were trying?
Not likely. Imagine the howling if they made to a championship game, accusations of rigging, knowing the formulas to create the "ideal game plans", etc. Not to mention if they advanced in the NT regularly, taking credits away from paying customers. Developers play their own games to gauge how it feels from the inside, not to "win".

And no, I don't feel deceived at all. I assume that the companies that provide goods and services I enjoy have real live people as their employees, and those people make real live decisions. I don't have an expectation to be told when their employees decide to walk away. My expectation is that they will continue to produce the game, and they've done that so far.
imagine... hmm, i'll try. working up the ol' imagination juices. ok, here we go. wait, i think i see it! i see... the admin of the game, running a team like... csu bakersfield... in um, how about in d2 tark, and it becomes one of the top programs in the world, even wins a championship. i see folks competing with admin in recruiting battles, i see folks winning and losing NT games against him, oh, the horror! i even see their conference chat, lively, no doubt full of haters complaining about said admin. hold on, its getting clearer. wait, i can even read the text on the conference wall! i see... conference mates of his exchanging friendly banter about the going-ons in the game? i see... folks who played him in the NT, reveling in the thrill of competing with the creator of the game in a high stakes battle of wits? no, no way, i must have grabbed the wrong bottle of juice, that's what i get for keeping my imagination juice with my vials of LSD. guess i have a long, colorful 10 hours ahead of me!

oh wait - no, its not a hallucination, its a memory! a memory that spans a year in which not one single negative comment can be recalled, but many friendly exchanges took place. a memory in which conference mates loved the opportunity to get so close to the game creator, in which top programs in the division relished the opportunity to compete with the creator himself.

what has happened to the game, that the default reaction of most folks is that of the poster i quoted, instead of the reaction of literally every single person in d2 tark at the time?

what's sad is trying to imagine what bunch of whiners would take the approach like that in the post above, and reduce a once-competitive spirited game into a one with a level playing field designed for soccer moms. oh wait, i don't have to imagine that one, either... :(
10/7/2016 7:11 PM (edited)

that is a little different, to put it mildly. you folks seem to agree, employees should run teams, to get the experience - but you also agree, they shouldn't "try". that's like saying, lets play poker but not for money - its JUST like the real thing, except you don't really have to risk the money. yeah. its NOTHING like real poker, its just as close as chinese checkers.

you want the employees to get the experience of coaches, so they can leverage that experience to do their jobs? then its simple - they have to compete, like real coaches do. it is true - the best among them, if they are too successful against the realms of regular customers, will have to pull up on the reigns. you can't have the game admins running around absolutely destroying everyone. but, that is not the general experience. most admins of games who play, they are just mere mortals and don't just crush everyone. generally, they play semi-anonymously, because the benefits are so clear, and the downsides are mostly limited to a few % of whiners whose idiot parents told them life is fair. but in my experience, when admins have played under their real name, or when it was only semi-anonymous, they typically have been sensitive to the reality, that folks will feel its unfair if they are too good. but they still played, they'd play very competitively in friendly matches, but they would avoid tournaments or else if they played and say, if they placed 4th, give up their winnings and 5th would get the winnings of 4th place, and so on down. that is a perfectly reasonable way to go, and i find that more folks than not, are actually really excited for the opportunity to get up close and personal with the guy who made the game. its awesome, if you are a true competitor. some folks don't get into it, but those who get into it far outweigh those who are upset by it. it was even true in HD when it happened, by a wide margin. you didn't have first-team-out folks whining over a missed NT bid, like folks on here have suggested, i mean come on, get a grip.

in short, you forum folks delude yourselves into thinking your way of thinking on this subject, is anything resembling the general stance. its not. anyone who takes that stance, sorry, but you are not a true competitor. its like the damn kids who expect to be given something just because someone else has one, or the parents who go ballistic because their 7 year old's classmate brought a pocket knife to school. does it happen? sure. does it make you a loser? absolutely.
10/7/2016 7:24 PM (edited)
Agree 100% with gil. I spent 3 seasons with TK in the same D2 conference in Tark. I moved up to DI as soon as I could while he decided to stay put for quite a while (34 seasons). There was good banter, he answered some questions, generally gave decent answers to tickets, and there was not feeling that he was rigging the game. I beat him for recruits in DII and at DI in other worlds and in another world it was a running joke that he could not get out of the first rd with another CSU Bakersfield team despite several seasons in which he was the 1 seed.
10/7/2016 7:24 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 10/7/2016 7:24:00 PM (view original):

that is a little different, to put it mildly. you folks seem to agree, employees should run teams, to get the experience - but you also agree, they shouldn't "try". that's like saying, lets play poker but not for money - its JUST like the real thing, except you don't really have to risk the money. yeah. its NOTHING like real poker, its just as close as chinese checkers.

you want the employees to get the experience of coaches, so they can leverage that experience to do their jobs? then its simple - they have to compete, like real coaches do. it is true - the best among them, if they are too successful against the realms of regular customers, will have to pull up on the reigns. you can't have the game admins running around absolutely destroying everyone. but, that is not the general experience. most admins of games who play, they are just mere mortals and don't just crush everyone. generally, they play semi-anonymously, because the benefits are so clear, and the downsides are mostly limited to a few % of whiners whose idiot parents told them life is fair. but in my experience, when admins have played under their real name, or when it was only semi-anonymous, they typically have been sensitive to the reality, that folks will feel its unfair if they are too good. but they still played, they'd play very competitively in friendly matches, but they would avoid tournaments or else if they played and say, if they placed 4th, give up their winnings and 5th would get the winnings of 4th place, and so on down. that is a perfectly reasonable way to go, and i find that more folks than not, are actually really excited for the opportunity to get up close and personal with the guy who made the game. its awesome, if you are a true competitor. some folks don't get into it, but those who get into it far outweigh those who are upset by it. it was even true in HD when it happened, by a wide margin. you didn't have first-team-out folks whining over a missed NT bid, like folks on here have suggested, i mean come on, get a grip.

in short, you forum folks delude yourselves into thinking your way of thinking on this subject, is anything resembling the general stance. its not. anyone who takes that stance, sorry, but you are not a true competitor. its like the damn kids who expect to be given something just because someone else has one, or the parents who go ballistic because their 7 year old's classmate brought a pocket knife to school. does it happen? sure. does it make you a loser? absolutely.
I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
10/7/2016 7:45 PM
◂ Prev 12
Please define what playing competitively means Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.