Can sacks be increased without blitzing varience? Topic

What can be done to increase your sacks without undue risk to your D? In drafting, what attributes are most important in compiling sacks? (STR, GI, E, SPD would be my order of preference). Putting you LB's on line (at the right time) is probably the biggest, I would guess. I've seen another thread where it's been suggested that blitzing doesn't affect sacks much. Do you agree? This would be a fine question for developer chat (although it's been awhile since the last one.)
10/7/2016 3:55 AM (edited)
My 2 cents is that blitzing does increase the chance of a sack. It also increases the chance of getting beat deep.
9/29/2016 5:07 PM
Posted by spcbuzzard on 9/29/2016 5:07:00 PM (view original):
My 2 cents is that blitzing does increase the chance of a sack. It also increases the chance of getting beat deep.
Not if you are blitzing a LB. SS/FS tend to cover te's/rb's long and deep.
10/2/2016 12:53 AM
I just played an elite eight game in Div II v. VOLPRIDE. It went down to the wire with me passing long and him blitzing more than usual. I got sacked 4 times and had 6 scrambles in the 2nd H (even with a very mobile QB). He did all his blitzing with LBs.
10/6/2016 8:21 PM
I believe Str in a DL is the most important attribute for sacks.
10/6/2016 10:09 PM
I say speed
10/8/2016 10:45 AM
The #1 factor in determining frequencies of sacks in a game is the the distance in which the qb's trying to complete. If you play a team that is trying to pass "Deep" every play the entire game; I don't care how bad your Defense is, they are going to get 10 sacks in that game.
10/10/2016 12:58 PM
Formation IQ has nothing to do with sack. While I am on the subject however, Interceptions may have a lot to do with formation IQ.
10/10/2016 12:59 PM
You can't view blitzing a player in isolation and assume it will result in more sacks. First of all, this is a game and only an approximation of real life. But even in real life, as with GD, there is a trade-off. Blitzing gives you one extra person to apply pressure, but if the pressure is absorbed, your chances at a coverage sack are diminished by having fewer pass defenders. It is not necessarily the case that blitzing increases your chances of a sack. But that misses an important point that I want to make: if you want to increase your pressure and avoid making it blatantly obvious to your opponent in pbp data, blitzing is not the way to go. One caveat is if you want to blitz from the secondary, since you can't disguise that.
10/12/2016 11:56 AM
Blitzing can be fun though! Check out this guy:

https://www.whatifsports.com/gd/PlayerProfile/Stats.aspx?pid=10613401

He blitzes 100% of the time.
10/12/2016 3:16 PM
Can sacks be increased without blitzing varience? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.