Rushing Inside vs Outside Topic

Is there really a difference between rushing inside vs outside? If there is I would like to site mail someone to ask for advice. Example questions: Is one formation better for running inside and another formation better for outside? Are there certain ratings that make a RB better at running inside or outside?

Please site mail me if you have any insight and are willing to share.

Thanks

Will

9/29/2016 8:36 PM
This is just a gut feeling not based on stats. But I feel Strength is more important to running inside and Elusiveness and Speed for outside.
Absolutely not based on stats .
9/30/2016 12:06 AM

I think wishbone and pro set work good for outside rushes...inside rushes work well in I Form and ND box. Really never ran trips so I cant say ....
9/30/2016 5:43 AM
There is definitely a difference. Its a rather complex (IMO) set of factors impacting each.
9/30/2016 10:34 AM

On an inside running play, who is involved in blocking at the LOS for the offense and defense? Who is involved on an outside running play? (slid64er - Hall of Famer - 6:44 PM)

This varies as the play goes because the location will change, but for demonstration purposes here is an example. Note: the partial value depends on position and current location of the play. This information is available on the formations page in the blocking section
OFFENSE (using IFormation as example)
INSIDE RUNNING PLAY: OL2, OL3, OL4. Partial influence: RB (if blocking)
OUTSIDE RUNNING PLAY: OL1, OL5, TE (if blocking). Partial influence: RB (if blocking)
DEFENSE (using 4-3 as example)
INSIDE RUNNING PLAY: DL2, DL3. Partial Influence: DL1, DL4, LB1, LB2, LB3, SS, FS
OUTSIDE RUNNING PLAY: CB1, CB2 Partial Influence: DL1, DL4, LB1, LB2, LB3, SS, FS

9/30/2016 2:57 PM
Interesting.

Not sure what "OUTSIDE RUNNING PLAY: OL1, OL5, TE (if blocking). Partial influence: RB (if blocking)" means.
9/30/2016 9:35 PM
You can set each of those players in your formations to block or not.

Also, many better coaches then I have stated many times Dev Chats are not the end all be all. Take the information but apply your own experience to it.
9/30/2016 10:35 PM
Posted by nitros on 9/30/2016 10:35:00 PM (view original):
You can set each of those players in your formations to block or not.

Also, many better coaches then I have stated many times Dev Chats are not the end all be all. Take the information but apply your own experience to it.
When wouldn't you want the TE or RB not to block on a running play ?
9/30/2016 10:45 PM
If you are set to 100% run, then I can't think of a reason.
9/30/2016 11:48 PM
Posted by nitros on 9/30/2016 2:57:00 PM (view original):

On an inside running play, who is involved in blocking at the LOS for the offense and defense? Who is involved on an outside running play? (slid64er - Hall of Famer - 6:44 PM)

This varies as the play goes because the location will change, but for demonstration purposes here is an example. Note: the partial value depends on position and current location of the play. This information is available on the formations page in the blocking section
OFFENSE (using IFormation as example)
INSIDE RUNNING PLAY: OL2, OL3, OL4. Partial influence: RB (if blocking)
OUTSIDE RUNNING PLAY: OL1, OL5, TE (if blocking). Partial influence: RB (if blocking)
DEFENSE (using 4-3 as example)
INSIDE RUNNING PLAY: DL2, DL3. Partial Influence: DL1, DL4, LB1, LB2, LB3, SS, FS
OUTSIDE RUNNING PLAY: CB1, CB2 Partial Influence: DL1, DL4, LB1, LB2, LB3, SS, FS

If you take a look at the formations page, you will see that the offensive line is set up left to right as 1-4-3-5-2. So not sure how that aligns with the statement that an inside running play blocking is OL2, OL3 ,OL4

Same thing applies to DL. On formation page it is 1-3-4-2. Which doesn't jive with the above DL2 and DL3 as the major defenders to an inside run
10/1/2016 12:01 AM
I am guessing the Dev got the numbers wrong (probably he was typing from memory. I take the statement to mean G, G, C are inside influence and T and T are outside influence. Same thing on DL. Inside lineman are inside and so forth. To me that makes logical sense.
10/1/2016 10:17 AM
This is from an old developers chat. At the time, I believe that everything was numbered left to right, 1-5. The Guards and Center would be OL2, OL3, OL4 for example.
10/1/2016 10:21 AM
depends if your school has a dome stadium...
10/5/2016 4:11 PM
I thought it was the color of their jockstraps. (smiling shark)
10/5/2016 4:25 PM
I wouldn't trust ancient dev chat material as gold, essentially the reality is from what I've found is that Outside runs are more aggressive and have a chance to go for more yards than inside runs, but they also have a higher chance to getting stuffed even when the team is in a prevent defense. The reward though is that when your player "breaks it to the outside" (which is simple dice roll) you will gain around 5-8 yds on average (excluding the big play broken tackles). Those stats are not 100% accurate but close enough. Running the ball inside will yield less -1,-2,0,1 yd rushes, but your good runs that aren't break through aren't as good as running outside.

Of course all of this depends on what your opponent is doing in terms of alignment and how many players are on the line, and formation disadvantages like 3 DL against a Wishbone/NDB package.

I think the argument at least at the D2 level that positioning your better players DL or OL to certain spots (DL1,DL2) or (OL3,OL4) is all an optical illusion, this game calculates outcomes based on averages, not individual matchups. In theory the average could come from the 3 inside lineman vs 2 outside but I haven't seen anything that has shown this to be true.

I'm no hall of famer on here, but at least I have a championship and have competed in 3 NC games so take it for what it's worth.
10/5/2016 11:47 PM (edited)
12 Next ▸
Rushing Inside vs Outside Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.