Buck Showalter... Topic

Is seriously driving me nuts. I think he does a great job of identifying and cultivating talent, and getting the best out of his players. But his execution of traditional managerial duties - lineup construction, handling of the pitching staff, etc. - has always baffled me. Yesterday he had Brad Brach pitch 2 1/3 innings in spite of the fact that he has looked tired in a number of outings in the 2nd half. He's been batting Adam Jones leadoff most of the season. He's started 100+ games as the leadoff guy. Not sure if he's currently first or second on the team in fewest pitches/PA (he's been back and forth with Schoop on that all year), but he certainly isn't forcing pitchers to work through their repertoire in that spot. And I think most baseball fans realize he doesn't get on base. And he doesn't run. How is he a leadoff guy? Also, by the way, Schoop has something like 30 starts in the 2-hole. In those games the lineup starts with Jones-Schoop-Machado. Machado has the 3rd fewest pitches/PA on the team, by the way. And Schoop's OBP is under .300.

And now, today, Gallardo is getting yet another start. Over the past month and a half he's 2-5 with an ERA over 6.5, miraculously even worse than he was before that. There's no more time for him to "get right" for the postseason. To be honest, I hated this signing since before he showed up to Spring Training. He gave up almost a .900 OPS to opposing batters in the 2nd half in 2015. Nobody getting hit that hard for that long should be getting a multi-year 7-figure contract. But at this point, the roster is what it is. There are at least 6 or 7 better starters on the roster than Gallardo right now. The team is using 6 starters this month, and that doesn't include Worley, who has been good in just about every role he's been thrown into this year but hasn't been given chances to start, which also makes absolutely no sense. Even Tyler Wilson would probably be better than Gallardo. I just don't get it. Tigers certainly could win out with 3 games against the Braves and a game against Cleveland that Cleveland isn't going to care about. Orioles have to win this series. Why start out with such an utterly unnecessary gamble?

*end rant*
9/30/2016 5:08 PM
TERRY COLLINS IS THE POOR MAN'S BUCK SHOWALTER.
9/30/2016 5:15 PM
Yeah, he also doesn't do that identifying and cultivating talent thing...
9/30/2016 5:17 PM
Aren't the Blue Jays and Mariners still in it? Why the hand-wringing over Detroit?
9/30/2016 5:31 PM
Only have to win 1 to hold off Seattle, I'm assuming the Jays are in, although Boston is currently saying they're going to start both Porcello and Price in the series. I guess that would put them on a reasonable schedule to pitch Thursday and Friday, so it's not unreasonable to believe they'll both actually pitch. Try to get home field against Cleveland.
9/30/2016 6:17 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 9/30/2016 5:08:00 PM (view original):
Is seriously driving me nuts. I think he does a great job of identifying and cultivating talent, and getting the best out of his players. But his execution of traditional managerial duties - lineup construction, handling of the pitching staff, etc. - has always baffled me. Yesterday he had Brad Brach pitch 2 1/3 innings in spite of the fact that he has looked tired in a number of outings in the 2nd half. He's been batting Adam Jones leadoff most of the season. He's started 100+ games as the leadoff guy. Not sure if he's currently first or second on the team in fewest pitches/PA (he's been back and forth with Schoop on that all year), but he certainly isn't forcing pitchers to work through their repertoire in that spot. And I think most baseball fans realize he doesn't get on base. And he doesn't run. How is he a leadoff guy? Also, by the way, Schoop has something like 30 starts in the 2-hole. In those games the lineup starts with Jones-Schoop-Machado. Machado has the 3rd fewest pitches/PA on the team, by the way. And Schoop's OBP is under .300.

And now, today, Gallardo is getting yet another start. Over the past month and a half he's 2-5 with an ERA over 6.5, miraculously even worse than he was before that. There's no more time for him to "get right" for the postseason. To be honest, I hated this signing since before he showed up to Spring Training. He gave up almost a .900 OPS to opposing batters in the 2nd half in 2015. Nobody getting hit that hard for that long should be getting a multi-year 7-figure contract. But at this point, the roster is what it is. There are at least 6 or 7 better starters on the roster than Gallardo right now. The team is using 6 starters this month, and that doesn't include Worley, who has been good in just about every role he's been thrown into this year but hasn't been given chances to start, which also makes absolutely no sense. Even Tyler Wilson would probably be better than Gallardo. I just don't get it. Tigers certainly could win out with 3 games against the Braves and a game against Cleveland that Cleveland isn't going to care about. Orioles have to win this series. Why start out with such an utterly unnecessary gamble?

*end rant*
In other words, he's baseball's Andy Reid. Fields a talented team, keeps them in contention, but calls the same plays over and over, uses certain player as crutches, and his in-game calls can be highly questionable.
9/30/2016 6:29 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/30/2016 5:31:00 PM (view original):
Aren't the Blue Jays and Mariners still in it? Why the hand-wringing over Detroit?
Cuz the Tigers are one game behind them, and playing the Braves.
9/30/2016 10:45 PM
Posted by sjpoker on 9/30/2016 6:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 9/30/2016 5:08:00 PM (view original):

*end rant*
In other words, he's baseball's Andy Reid. Fields a talented team, keeps them in contention, but calls the same plays over and over, uses certain player as crutches, and his in-game calls can be highly questionable.
To me, Buck's biggest problem is that he's stubborn as hell. A couple things that stand out: he is way too obsessed with pitching matchups (L/L or R/R), he absolutely refuses to bunt in even the clearest of bunting situations, and he sticks with players who are performing terribly for far too long out of loyalty.

He's also HORRIBLE at motivating his players. Early in his career he was noted as a hardass and players hated him. Now he's so much of a players manager that it seems there's no accountability for repeated mistakes or an awful approach. Davis would rather hit .220 and K 225 times than try to take some free singles. Buck should be telling him to attempt a bunt at least once a game.

He's got a great baseball mind as far as the rulebook and the nuances of the game, but his decision making, as dahs said, is baffling at times. Kim should've been leading off all season vs righties. And batting Davis second recently, against lefties, was the dumbest thing ever. That's not gonna jumpstart a guy like Davis, who has struggling to recognize pitches and has too much pressure on him as it is.
10/2/2016 8:15 PM
"To me, Buck's biggest problem is that he's stubborn as hell."

That summed it up tonight. Kept Zach in the pen to wait for a lead cuz "that's the way I've always done things..."

Cost his team a chance to move on.
10/5/2016 12:06 AM
At least we didn't have to suffer through a bat flip.
10/5/2016 6:04 AM
While true hindsight is 20/20, Buck screwed the pooch in several ways. Jimenez has either been lights out or lit up like a pinball machine against the Jays. Yea he was great in his last start vs the Jays but his history.... So as soon the first 2 batters get solid hits off him, Buck should've pulled him. Especially since you've got a 1st and 3rd with 1 out situation. You leave him in to walk Edwin but bring Britton in right after that. You walk Edwin to load the bases and that gives you a force at any base. Britton has a history of a K or a groundball...exactly what you need here.

So leaving Britton in the pen makes NO sense in my opinion. Also, Orioles have their big boys coming up in the 12th. Britton is your best chance to give those hitters a shot. Like people have already said, he's stubborn....I think that cost the Orioles the game here, sorry Baltimore fans.

All that said it was an entertaining game to watch. Hope tonight's game is a good.
10/5/2016 7:12 AM
The worst was his press conference. He actually defended his decision. He acted like it was the reporters who were dumb. Like advanced metric guys. "It's ok, you guys just don't understand. You're not as enlightened as me."
10/5/2016 7:37 AM
Exactly!!! He stated he felt this was going to be one of those long drawn out extra inning affairs. That is why he didn't bring in Britton. Really???? If you thought it was going to be a long game, why burn a LH (Duensing) on just one batter??? Baltimore went to their pen early and by the end of the 10th had used 4 bullpen arms. Now I've got no problem with when he pulled Tillman. But you've used 4 guys from your pen and then use a guy to just get the lead off batter out in the 11th? Especially if you 'feel' it going to be a long game? Doesn't make sense to me.

Yep he was trying to defend a very bad decision. The reporters weren't buying it, nobody should. He screwed the pooch. This lose is on the Baltimore manager not the players.
10/5/2016 7:59 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/30/2016 5:31:00 PM (view original):
Looks like the OP shouldn't have ignored the Jays.
10/5/2016 8:11 AM
Posted by aginor on 10/5/2016 7:59:00 AM (view original):
Exactly!!! He stated he felt this was going to be one of those long drawn out extra inning affairs. That is why he didn't bring in Britton. Really???? If you thought it was going to be a long game, why burn a LH (Duensing) on just one batter??? Baltimore went to their pen early and by the end of the 10th had used 4 bullpen arms. Now I've got no problem with when he pulled Tillman. But you've used 4 guys from your pen and then use a guy to just get the lead off batter out in the 11th? Especially if you 'feel' it going to be a long game? Doesn't make sense to me.

Yep he was trying to defend a very bad decision. The reporters weren't buying it, nobody should. He screwed the pooch. This lose is on the Baltimore manager not the players.
My favourite was "...then you might end up with no one to pitch the last inning." What's better: Ubaldo pitching in a 2-2 game in the 11th with Zach in the pen, or Ubaldo pitching in a 2-2 (or even 3-2) game in the 13th because Zach has been used? I'll take the latter any day of the week. You don't use your last resort until he's your last resort.

To me, this would be like the Dodgers starting Rich Hill in a WC game to save Kershaw for Game 1 of the LDS, and then losing.

Managing 101: In a do-or-die game, you don't save players for "tomorrow".
10/5/2016 8:27 AM
1|2|3...7 Next ▸
Buck Showalter... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.