Sayonara Ryan Howard Topic

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20161002_Ford__Goodbye_to_Ryan_Howard__and_Phillies__era_for_the_ages.html

Good article by Bob Ford. If you are not a Phillies fan, then it might be kind of tough to understand the fandoms relationship with Ryan Howard and Mike Schmidt. But this quote says it all:

"Howard and Mike Schmidt form an interesting comparison, if only because Howard was never questioned before he lost his skills, and Schmidt was never embraced until after he did. "

Still so surreal. Growing up, Schmidt was the best player in the game, but I can remember as a kid how much he was criticized. I remember being in school and being told that Pete Rose was a much better player and that Schmidt was a choker. Couldn't understand it.

Fast forward decades later, I remember telling a co-worker that that Ryan Howard struck out too f****** much. Suddenly he jumped all over me telling me how Ryan Howard was the great games best power hitter and one of the game's best players. I never saw I never saw him as that. He was a very good player, and when he was at his best, the Phillies won.

The 06-11 phillies were a good but not great team. They probably end up with only one Hall of Famer in Roy Halladay. There's a bunch of players that were very good, but fall short of Hall of Fame consideration. I can say however that they are a uniquely Philly team. Kind of sad to see them go.
9/30/2016 10:31 PM

A Ryan Howard moment that i'll cherish forever....
10/3/2016 2:43 PM
Vomit.

I feel like they should have won another title. Just didn't happen. Its a shame.
10/3/2016 5:52 PM
Maybe if their best power hitter didn't watch a third called strike with two baserunners when they're down a run in the ninth inning... they would've won more.
10/4/2016 7:52 PM
Strikeouts are just a different kind of out.
10/4/2016 7:54 PM
Yeah. All outs are the same Todd.
10/4/2016 9:10 PM
Sayonara Ryan Howard Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.