Div-1 School Name Adjustments... Topic

This is a re-print of a Beta Forum topic i started back on August 6th:
These are some nice easy low hanging fruit changes that could be adjusted quickly i think.

Also, great change graphically last week adjusting some school names on their home pages to have black or blue font colors... reads great and kind of bad-*** (see Missouri and Providence)... hey, i notice these great changes and attention to detail...!

This was from my August thread:

Me again, the guy that went to a college for fine arts, and who is a big fan of HD Beta (after getting more familiar with it) , and a huge fan of your new fonts and layout... we discussed the awesomeness of Roboto Slab and the weakness of the earlier original beta font all that in an earlier thread.

Someone mentioned school name adjustments several weeks ago, and i thought I'd bring it up again... these are some quick changes to school names to provide some consistency across the board, and maybe some gravitas, and of course school pride.

Note that if only 2 of these changes are made, let them be NC State and Saint Louis.

Here is a list of easy fixes.
This should show for school names on both the:
- team pages, and the
- standings pages:

Division 1.
Ordered by conference.

Everywhere, in all conferences:
State (spell out "State" in all cases, instead of "St." because it's a classy thing to do).

ACC:
North Carolina (spell out name, rather than UNC).
NC State (rather than N. Carolina St. which is fingernails on chalkboard, this is a key change).

A-10:
Saint Louis (the Billikens have specifically said the don't abbreviate the word "Saint"... this is a key change).
St. Joseph’s (i would drop the "PA", and make sure other St Joe's have their respective states noted (ME and IN)).
Massachusetts (consistency thing with UMass-UConn... either none or both, but i would do it this way).

Big East:
West Virginia (rather than W. Virginia... fingernails and chalkboard again).
St. John's (absolutely gotta have the apostrophe... add to Div-3 St. John's an "(MN)"...).

Big Sky:
Eastern Washington (spell out "Eastern").
Northern Arizona (spell out "Northern").

Big South:
Charleston Southern (spell out "Southern").
UNC Asheville (remove that comma, am i right people?).

Big West:
Southern Utah (spell out "Southern").
UC Irvine (absolutely gotta go with "UC" and definitely no comma).
UC Santa Barbara (same as with Irvine above).
UC Riverside (same as with Irvine and Santa Barbara above).
Cal State Fullerton (no comma, and absolutely it should be "Cal State" with no period after "Cal" or I'll scream).
Cal State Northridge (same as with Fullerton, with no comma nor any period).
Cal Poly San Luis Obispo (absolutely no period after "Cal", and no period after "Poly"... spell out "San Luis Obispo").

Colonial:
UNC Wilmington (no comma).
William & Mary (remove the word "and", replace with ampersand symbol).

C-USA:
East Carolina (spell out "East").
Southern Mississippi (spell out "Southern").
Southern Methodist (spell out name, as HD does with Texas Christian... either or, like with UMass-UConn).

Horizon:
Green Bay (school has recently dropped the "Wisconsin" prefix).
Milwaukee (same as Green Bay note above).
Detroit Mercy (instead of just Detroit).
DePaul (on team page, like on the Standings page name, the "e" if possible could be lowercase).

Ivy League:
Boston University (spell out the word "University", though this is minor and works for American U.).
Penn (shorten down from full Pennsylvania name, definitely don't show as UPenn).

MAC:
Central Michigan (spell out Central).
Eastern Michigan (spell out Eastern).
Western Michigan (spell out Western).
Northern Illinois (spell out Northern).
Ohio U. (low priority, and call me crazy, but i would add the "U." and even the period after that "U"...).

Metro Atlantic:
Saint Peter's (spell out "Saint", and add that apostrophe... gotta have the apostrophe...).

MEAC:
Maryland Eastern Shore (remove the comma, and spell out "Eastern").
South Carolina State (spell out "South" and "State").
North Carolina A&T (spell out "North").

Missouri Valley:
Northern Iowa (spell out "Northern"... fingernails and chalkboard).
Southern Illinois (spell out "Southern").
Western Kentucky (spell out "Western").

Mountain West:
North Texas (spell out "North").

Northeast:
Central Connecticut State (spell out Central and State).
Mount St. Mary's (they spell out "Mount" but abbreviate "St." for some reason).
Saint Francis of NY (spell out Saint).
Saint Francis of PA (spell out Saint, and gotta add "of PA"... very confusing situation).

Ohio Valley:
Tennessee Martin (remove the comma).
Arkansas Pine Bluff (remove the comma)
Tennessee Tech (remove the period after Tech).
Eastern Illinois (spell out Eastern).
Eastern Kentucky (spell out Eastern).
Southeast Missouri State (spell out Southeast).

PAC-12:
Southern Cal or Southern California (spell out, keep out periods of course).
California (holy cow, thanks for removing that period... consider spelling out full name though).

Patriot:
perfect... always liked that "U." after American...

SEC:
South Carolina (spell out South).

Southern:
Chattanooga (school recently dropped the "Tennessee" portion).
East Tennessee State or ETSU (spell out East and State of course).
Western Carolina (spell out Western).
UNC Greensboro (remove the comma).

Southland:
UL-Monroe (matches UL-Lafayette).
University of Texas at San Antonio or UTSA.

Summit:
Western Illinois (spell out Western).
UMKC (they've been going with the 4 letter abbreviation recently).

Sun Belt:
Florida International (spell out International).
South Florida (spell out South).
South Alabama (spell out South).
Middle Tennessee State (spell out Middle and State).

Everywhere:
State (spell out "State" everywhere in place of "St."... fingernails on chalkboard...)

Also:
in Div-3:
- Rhode Island College (instead of Rhode Island... we locals always include "College").
- Connecticut College (preferably) or Conn College (same as above with us locals).
- Colorado College.
- Renssalaer (locals call it either Renssalaer or RPI, but not "Rensselaer Poly." as it is currently shown).

Adding "College" to these three schools will distinguish them from their Div-1 counterparts. Also, this would match for example "Mississippi College" of the Div-3 Iowa Conference, which distinguishes it apart from Ole Miss.

Thanks!!!
10/4/2016 8:15 AM (edited)
I double majored in English and print journalism. We should be friends, probably.

And also, I support these changes.
10/2/2016 3:06 PM
Posted by pallas on 10/2/2016 3:06:00 PM (view original):
I double majored in English and print journalism. We should be friends, probably.

And also, I support these changes.
Hey thanks pallas. Yeah, you know, I figure that a lot of thought and effort has gone into this game, so why make shortcuts on team names? "N. Carolina St." and "W. Virginia" or holy cow "CSU, Fullerton" (for 40 years I've never heard anything other than NC State, West Virginia or "West Va" at worst, and Cal State Fullerton) are just wrong, man, wrong, like they asked someone to type it up who lives in an isolated elf house in Iceland that has never followed college hoops.
10/3/2016 12:06 PM (edited)
It is possible that some of those names are protected by trademark law.
10/3/2016 1:07 PM
As someone who grew up in Johnson City,

it's either "East Tennessee State" or "ETSU." No other options.
10/3/2016 5:56 PM
University of Texas at San Antonio or UTSA. No other options.
10/3/2016 6:14 PM
I think there is a high probability - or maybe very high - that WIS changes none of these.
10/3/2016 10:34 PM
Ok guys, i added the ETSU and UTSA recommendations. Thanks.
10/4/2016 8:14 AM
npb,

Thanks for your hard work on this, considering it probably took quite a bit of time. That being said, there is a low probability that we actually change any of these, maybe even very low.

So thank you for the suggestion as that is all it will be.
10/4/2016 3:32 PM
But some things you may want to note:

We are actively testing these changes right now to make sure that there are no display issues on any pages, because when we change the school name it is a global change. So we cannot just change the name on the standings page and team pages, it is also going to have to be anywhere that we reference that team name. So like the brackets or awards, etc.
Another thing is we want to try and make the school name's relatively smaller to avoid any display issues stated above, so some of the school name changes are not going to be exactly as you suggested, but most of them should be.

Also, no hard feelings fd343ny
10/4/2016 3:38 PM
Posted by cwisniewski on 10/4/2016 3:40:00 PM (view original):
But some things you may want to note:

We are actively testing these changes right now to make sure that there are no display issues on any pages, because when we change the school name it is a global change. So we cannot just change the name on the standings page and team pages, it is also going to have to be anywhere that we reference that team name. So like the brackets or awards, etc.
Another thing is we want to try and make the school name's relatively smaller to avoid any display issues stated above, so some of the school name changes are not going to be exactly as you suggested, but most of them should be.

Also, no hard feelings fd343ny
hey cwisniewski,
ok, thanks for the feedback!
10/4/2016 4:58 PM
wow!
10/4/2016 5:14 PM
So, West By God Virginia is out if the question, lol?
10/4/2016 6:40 PM
Hey, i just noticed that HD is testing out school name changes in Beta... it looks fantastic, and they switched a ton of schools!!! NC State, Saint Louis, West Virginia, spelling out "State", Cal State Fullerton, UC Santa Barbara... even Rensselaer, Connecticut College, etc...!!!

Looks awesome! Hopefully it will work compatibly with regular 3.0... thanks cwisniewski!!!
10/14/2016 8:26 AM
Nice to see progress on this issue! ?
10/14/2016 11:47 AM
12 Next ▸
Div-1 School Name Adjustments... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.